Simple hack enables classic theme in Windows 10 (and 8, too!)

CamTron

• 3 weeks later...

The Windows 8 Classic Patch available at the ThinkPads.com Support Community site now works on Windows 10.

How stable/ buggy/ risky is it on Win 8.1? and 10? I remember reading earlier that it  needed lot manual steps and hacks. And if it crashed, you lost shell and recovery was also a lot of effort.. Any easy scripting/ automated install/ uninstall? 

• 3 months later...

it should be, classic shell was, and still is backbone to everything else

if you find a way to remove DWM, you'll see this effect

shit i'd use dud(.exe) just for the lulz to see what would happen :D

any api call would shut down imediately so you'd either get classic shell (broken)

or explorer crashing

Edited by vinifera

• 1 year later...

well at least I'm happy about this so far.

ROS Explorer old with (classicshell startmenu) + win10 explorer (as shell) + classictheme.exe + DWM (gives some apps transparent one UI glitches for chrome fix change its theme for other IDK ATM + NO Modren apps Support.)

sscp.jpg

Edited by mmtrt
Re Added Image

• 4 weeks later...

1) Your .txt File have a "Alternate Data Stream" on it... (You can remove it with Software like ADS Spy or Similar)

2) If i have the 2 files in a NON-Environment Folder, "Run-AS-ADMIN" doesnt work, cause you end up in C:\Windows\System32 
- maybe thats an version specific error (v1511 Build 10568.839)

Solution: i copy both files to C:\ and add "cd c:\" to the script...

(if its still not working, you maybe need to run handle.exe one time manual to accept sysinternals EULA)

3) Now, the handle got closed... - but:
- i lost the Rightclick Menu (on explorer based windows)
- most of the new config windows doesnt work anymore
- Taskmanager doenst work anymore

---> so for me it doesnt make sense (maybe its better in other builds...)

• 3 months later...

Great Stuff these guys doing good job in making windows 10 worth.

Running Classic stuff without winclassic.exe with ros explorer old even modren apps work fine. 

That paint is mspaint98.

Backup your system before doing anything.

If anyone want to try it head over to their forum for goodies

Link

classicwin10.png

Edited by mmtrt
Added Some words

• 1 month later...

Does it run slower without Aero?  First to clarify - Windows 8 does INDEED have Aero, just not transparency or glass effect.  So without those video rendering enhancements, do you find it slower?  I used a hack three years ago that allowed me to run Windows 8.1 with a classic desktop too.  But I ran it in a VM, so I'm unsure of performance was impaired at all.

:)

25 minutes ago, JodyT said:

I used a hack three years ago that allowed me to run Windows 8.1 with a classic desktop too.  But I ran it in a VM, so I'm unsure of performance was impaired at all.

DWM is running, so all hardware accelerations, too. So, it cannot run slower, only faster as the memory area responsible for storing themes is freed. It is VERY fast. I also use a METRO-killer (fxxkmetro.exe), disabled many services (such as Fontcache, Superfetch, SmartScreen etc) and did other optimizations. Currently speed is definitely not a topic to complain about Windows 8.1 for me :D

You can run Classic theme with DWM disabled as well, if you wish, of course, then you would get the same experience as under Windows7 with Classic theme (that is, slower and with tearing).

Edited by Anixx

@Anixx Can you tell us how stable it is? If I can get my 8.1 to look like that without losing a bunch of functionality, I'd probably use it more regularly.

Getting it or (especially) 10 to run with the supposedly excised Classic Theme *stably* is quite an impressive feat, and if you've accomplished that, then good job!

c

Edited by cc333