Windows 2000 one of the "forgotten" best MS OS

sugabeats

It's ironic how people decry the older operating systems like W2k Pro as outdated, yet can't even trust newer Windows 7 or Windows 10 systems far enough to let them update.

These days, generally speaking, lots of new stuff sucks--because people take it for granted that new stuff is better.  From that presumption, lazy thinking ensues, and movement replaces progress.  So, although we still "go," we go backwards instead of forward.  Windows illustrates the regression.

• 1 month later...

On 3/3/2019 at 10:56 PM, bluebolt said:

It's ironic how people decry the older operating systems like W2k Pro as outdated, yet can't even trust newer Windows 7 or Windows 10 systems far enough to let them update.

These days, generally speaking, lots of new stuff sucks--because people take it for granted that new stuff is better.  From that presumption, lazy thinking ensues, and movement replaces progress.  So, although we still "go," we go backwards instead of forward.  Windows illustrates the regression.

I totally agree with this!

I actually sort of laugh on the whole "doomsday" that is Windows 7. In fact some users on YouTube go so far to say that Windows 7 is dangerous to use, even as of right now. Um, how exactly? It's still fully receiving updates from Microsoft. It's still fully supported by all browser makers except for the fact that IE11 is outdated by today's real standards.

So explain this whole doomsday thing to me as long as you have all Windows Updates installed. Windows 10 can be just as vulnerable to attack as long as someone finds an exploit that nobody knows about and uses it to their advantage. There's a song by Joe Nichols called The Impossible, and I honestly think it can apply to operating system software perfectly.

"Unsinkable ships sink, unbreakable walls break
Sometimes the things you think'll never happen
Happen just like that
Unbendable steel bends
If the fury of the wind is unstoppable
I've learned to never underestimate the impossible"

When you think you have a bullet proof product, something will come along just to show you how wrong you really are. Windows 98 proved that, Windows 2000 proved that, Windows XP proved that, and anything else will continue to prove it.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer Windows 2000 over other OSes for these reasons (among others):

-I like the coloured box motif. The old Windows flag is the best.

-Scales very well to hardware, running on a 486SX with 32 MB RAM to a i7-6950X with 32 GB (I have a Xeon X5670 with 12 GB DDR3-1333)

-feels slicker than later Windows OSes. I can't get over how XP and 2003 take a split-second to bring CPU information in system properties whereas on 2000 it's instant.

The only issues are with lack of MTP support and that my room feels like a sauna after running my workstation for a few hours (win2k forces my Xeon to run constantly at ~3.192 GHz, when it's supposed to be 2.93 GHz stock and with dynamic frequency scaling). If I succumb to heat stroke this summer because of Windows 2000, my next stop will be 2003 x86.

Edited by win32