Software compatible with ME only?

Andrew T.

Was there ever a software title produced that was compatible with Windows ME, but not compatible with Windows 98?

I've never been a fan of Windows ME, but its trajectory fascinates me.  It came out after Windows 98, so logically it ought to have been supported and targeted by vendors longer...but it wasn't.  It contained a few minor feature additions, but had most of its DOS functionality crippled and was popularly regarded as a net loss relative to its predecessor...and I doubt most developers did anything to dissuade this notion.  I seem to remember programs from about ten years ago that conversely advertised compatibility with 98, but not ME!

Not quite sure about any software off hand, but the law of Probabilities would seem to deem it so.  I do know, that an old Sound Blaster 24 Bit---states (and does) work on Win Me, but not 98 versions.  I am certain that though it does not work out of the box for 9x versions below Me---the drivers could be modified to do so.  I've never had any problems with Me yet (with or without IE).  It has always been very stable for me and rather crash resistant.   I do find though (and oddly) that the HD seems to become fragmented more often than others---needing frequent defragging.

I would assume that there are some Drivers that would require ME as it has a number of Kernel APIs that are not present in 98SE. I have extracted these APIs and added them to my 98SE system.

I seem to remember programs from about ten years ago that conversely advertised compatibility with 98, but not ME!

Macromedia Studio MX 2004 is surely advertised this way and surely doesn't run on ME. Whether it actually runs on 98 I don't know.

I have extracted these APIs and added them to my 98SE system.

Are those APIs included in KernelEx or do we need to implement them separately?
No.

I extracted the Kernel APIs and put them into my WDMEX product, which is like a greatly expanded version of WDMSTUB. KernelEx provides User APIs only, not Kernel APIs.

I don't use KernelEx, so I don't know if it is complete with respect to ME User APIs.

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2015 at 9:09 AM, farfigs11 said:

I came across TomTom Home the other day that requires Me,NT 3.x, NT4, 2000 or XP.

here's a link to TomTom I believe it's ver 1.3 for Windows Me (or 9x with KernelEx I suppose) build Oct. 2006

http://tomtom.gps-data-team.com/get.php?download=O22/sweet/application/latest/TomTomHOMEwinlatest.exe

On 1/14/2015 at 0:00 PM, Andrew T. said:

<truncated>

It came out after Windows 98, so logically it ought to have been supported and targeted by vendors longer...but it wasn't.  <truncated>

It's important to note that while Windows ME came out after both Windows 98SE and 2000, it is still based on the older Windows 9x model. Most software I ever came across would run on Windows 95/98/ME. (with the exception of Internet Explorer 6, which excluded 95)

I think the support issue came down to the fact that ME was like Vista, it was released quickly, and killed off by Windows XP less than a year later. There was no time for it to gain market share, that could have compelled vendors to support it longer.

The system requirements included a 150MHz processor, what a joke. In fact, I didn't enjoy running Windows 95 on anything less than a Pentium II or newer with 64MB RAM.

Not sure if this counts (more like hardware): A mouse I bought at daiso japan claimed to be compatible with ME, 2000, XP, Vista, and 7. I actually tested this and it did work on my ME, yet strangely would not work on 98SE on the same laptop unless I plugged in my ancient usb hub with built in drivers first than the mouse, but the mouse itself couldn't be plugged in alone. Windows ME in general has better plug n' play support than 98SE quite a bit even after installing the universal usb driver for 98SE (Not sure about the instability or not since I found both equally as unstable). While they both suffer from the same issue of keeping anything in the usb port during boot that causes hanging, ME is superior with the price being no DOS (although it can be patched).