Will there ever be a SP6 for Windows 2000

sugabeats

Hi,  I want to thank the people who have worked so hard to keep this great OS up to date and yes STILL highly functional even in 2015.  With that being said is there any plans to come out with an unofficial SP6?

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Tomasz86 at one point was in the process of making unofficial service pack 5.2 but has never finished it to my knowledge as he's quite a busy guy and has never even released a beta or anything to people like me to test it so unless that gets released or someone else very dedicated to 2000 comes along and decides to do so, I'd say your chances of seeing an USP6 made is very slim.

And I really agree, Windows 2000 with unofficial updates is extremely usable in 2015. Unless a lot of things change, I'd say Windows 2000 will be usable until at least 2020.

Edited by Tommy

In the thread I stated an "unofficial" SP6.  The Unofficial SP5 has been out for a while and i understand others have attempted an unofficial SP6. 

I know.  I was also talking about USP 5, which even though it has been worked on for a long time, it still has not been released in final form, and I don't know if it ever will be.  I have not seen anyone ever discussing any kind of USP 6.  Do you have a link to any discussion of USP 6?  The work by tomasz86http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156521-unofficial-sp-52-for-microsoft-windows-2000/ - is the most recent work on a SP for Win2K that I am aware of.

Cheers and Regards

Yep!  That's the guy I was talking about.  Too bad he didn't have more time and resources to finish where he started.  I love his compatibility Launcher.  But yeah 2000 is rock solid and stable. 

It's possible he still has it in production but it's just halted for the time being. I was hoping at one point he'd finish it but until then, at least we have the unofficial rollup packages as well. It makes life a lot easier especially since I don't really like any of the Windows versions past 2000.

And to the people who said you can make XP look like 2000, looks =/= actual usability. Just because something 'looks' like it, doesn't mean it still works the same way. I personally feel with the unofficial updates, 2000 has surpassed XP because of the NT6 extensions added into the dlls.

Edited by Tommy

I hope that there someday will be a Service Pack 6 for Windows 2000. A more elegant and intuitive way of unofficially updating the operating system. With all of the official and unofficial components, some optional of course, not everybody has the same taste. Tomasz86 may be a busy man, but I feel like there has been a surge in the interest of unofficially updating Windows 2000 over the past year or so. Who knows what the future holds.

I hope that there someday will be a Service Pack 6 for Windows 2000. A more elegant and intuitive way of unofficially updating the operating system. With all of the official and unofficial components, some optional of course, not everybody has the same taste. Tomasz86 may be a busy man, but I feel like there has been a surge in the interest of unofficially updating Windows 2000 over the past year or so. Who knows what the future holds.

Probably because many don't like the garbage Microsoft has been cranking out lately. I don't look forward to Windows 10 at all. I don't need all that Cortona garbage or anything. I just want something that does its job and that's Windows 2000. In fact I've had more trouble with XP than I have with 2000. And while I'm on the subject of Windows 10....why is that new start menu necessary? I don't not like what  I see in that at all. Who wants blocks of uselessness when the classic start menu of Windows 95 was perfect for years. Just more eye candy and new garbage to keep people buying new stuff because they're out of ideas on how to improve upon something that was already great. The way I see it, Windows 2000 could've been the last Windows ever just because of how awesome it is. I think they ran out of ideas after that and basically everything was recycled up until Windows 8 and then they decided to put all that tile garbage in just to call it new. But then I guess for the average computer user now, it's all about Facebook, Twitter, and the internet. I wouldn't call the first two productivity by a long shot. So while MS continues to release crap, I will continue to use Windows 2000 and have a nice clean interface that's not distracting.