NT4 on 8 or 9 series chipset (IT8892E PCIe to PCI bridge woes)

oerg866

Hi,

i'm trying to install Windows NT 4.0 on a P85-D3 motherboard, and it's not working really. So far I got Windows 98 working without problems, but NT4 is being very stubborn.

The issue is that I can't get it to either install or boot (assuming I've carried over the HDD from somewhere else), no matter what combination of IDE/SATA controllers and drivers I use.

My previous board with the B75 chipset was working fine, but it had native PCI, but the 8 series chipsets ditched PCI and instead implement it via a ITE IT8892E PCIe to PCI bridge. 

I always get a BSOD saying "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". Normally I know how to fix that, use a mass storage controller with NT4 drivers. But this just won't work at all.

So far I've tried these things:

• Boot NT Setup via CD-ROM on onboard SATA ports, using UNIATA drivers
  • Boot NT Setup via CD-ROM on Promise Ultra133 TX2, using UNIATA and PROMISE's drivers
  • Setup via WINNT /B using Promise Ultra133 TX2 with Hard Disk
  • Setup via WINNT /B using Promise SATA150 TX2+ with Hard Disk
  • Setup via WINNT /B using onboard SATA ports
  • Boot floppies via USB disk drive (doesn't work, I guess that's because NT4 has no USB support and access via BIOS interrupts stos when the kernel takes over)

Using WinNT /B I have provided mass storage drivers using a USB floppy drive, when using the CD-ROM methods I have integrated the drivers (but i've also tried floppies using a vanilla CD).

Last but not least I've tried running the first setup stage on another machine and then carrying over the HDD to the NT4 system, including doing a full install and running SP6, that didn't work either.

So, I'm genuinely stuck for a change D:

Any ideas?

Cheers

Eric

:blink:  Wow!  Congratulations!!! :yes:

Now, that's not how do we do it here at MSFN: the idea is to help others in a similar situation to get there, too!

So: those three lines you've quoted below...  whence do they come?  who are you quoting?  how did you finally get the OS installed?   

>Grab random hard disk for testing a few things in DOS
>Don't pay attention for boot prompt
>suddenly

Those > are to symbolize what happened here. I did those things, I wanted to test a few DOS drivers so I grabbed a hard disk from my stash and the IDE controller, a NT4 installation was already on it and I didn't pay attention only to find a fully booted NT4.

Strange, isn't it? But I'm content :)

Okay, as it turns out, Windows NT refuses to boot if I have anything other than the standard hal.dll installed. If I run a MPS kernel with either uniprocessor or multiprocessor support it won't boot. 

Cheers

• 3 months later...