Don't Be in a Hurry to Eat Your Fast Food Meal ... It'll Keep

Monroe

No time to eat your fast food order ... save it till later.

Fast Food Looks ‘Fresh Off The Grill’ After 2 Years On Display At Michigan Clinic

January 6, 2015

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/01/06/fast-food-looks-fresh-off-the-grill-after-2-years-on-display-at-michigan-clinic/

WATERFORD (CBS Detroit) – Have you ever wondered how long an untouched fast food meal could survive? One fast food meal on display at a Waterford chiropractic clinic is celebrating its second anniversary.

The meal sitting on the counter at Vaughn Chiropractic consists of a McDonald’s cheeseburger, fries and a Taco Bell soft shell chicken taco.

Two years ago Dr. Jaqueline Vaughn bought the meal and put it on the reception desk without a cover.

She notes there are no bugs, “there is no smelling, no decay, the only issue that we’ve had is people are so intrigued by it they’ll pick it up and because the bun now is so … almost mummified.”

Fast food meals are notorious for the amount of preservatives they contain … but just how long can they survive and exactly what is keeping that food so ‘fresh’ looking?

It’s a preservative called calcium probinate says Wayne State University Assistant professor of food science Yafan Zhang.

“These ingredients, they have potential to cause some inflammation in our stomachs … unless you eat a lot of this type of food everyday – then you will be okay.”

Dr. Randa Marshall says patients reactions have been priceless:

“People will make jokes all the time – ‘hey, let’s drop some water on it and nuke it – see what happens.'”

The meat, cheese, even the lettuce and pickle are still intact, although they are pale and hard reports WWJ’s Marie Osborne.

The display is now more for education and the clinic hopes that people think about what they are eating. Marshall says there is nothing better than a visual.

“A lot of times it’s for the kids, we have a lot of kid patients that come in here, they love McDonalds,” said Marshall.

She notes the display is not about never having fast food, once in while, Marshall says, it’s okay. It’s good to make a connection between what we are eating and our bodies.

I was just on my way to get some sausage egg mcmuffins.... who knows what kind of mystery meat is in those.

But is it any worse than eating a bowl of cereal? That stuff is like pure sugar and refined grain, mixed in with some high fructose corn syrup, and "enriched" with vitamins that probably do nothing but prevent scurvy and rickets. (Assuming your diet is poor enough)

I remember being in school in 3rd grade and the teacher left a chicken bone in a cup of coca-cola.... one week or so later, the bone had turned to rubber and you could bend it back and forth.

Edited by LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012 ... interesting observation with the chicken bone and cola ... something else that can be added to the list that cola is good for.

Welcome back ...haven't seen you post here for awhile ... except under the Windows 9x thread.

We would always get an early warning with an asteroid fly-by ... if you ever get to see the movie "Star Runners" on the Syfy channel ... at the beginning of the film the main star of the film and his sidekick are in a small spacecraft sitting out of sight on an asteroid ... hiding from the stellar star patrol.

Ponch ... one thing can be definitely said about the clinic over those two years ... they don't have any rats !!!

I thought it was interesting reading ... not going to try it though.

thanks Monroe

The display is now more for education and the clinic hopes that people think about what they are eating. Marshall says there is nothing better than a visual.

I wonder when they're going to start listing the individual ingredients on the wrappers. MSG probably would be near the top of the list. Along with other "natural" in gredients.

Like my dad says, if it came from the universe, and it exists, it's natural. Like, plastic is natural, rubber is natural, farmed salmon is natural, you get the idea :-) Molecules are natural.

LOL. He likes to bug me like that.

Edited by LostInSpace2012