Firefox 3.x + KernelEx: MathML not working properly

I've found a new (strange?) issue regarding Firefox 3.5.19 (and other versions above 2.0.0.20):

Firefox 3.5.19 seems not to be able to display MathML symbols (like special arrows and similarly) properly. Here's a screenshot from http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/build/main/Characters/Blocks/02190_Arrows-full.xhtml:
post-254155-0-65416300-1420509199_thumb.
And here is the same with Firefox 2.0.0.20:
post-254155-0-76697800-1420509245_thumb..

I must say that I have yet installed some additional fonts for displaying such symbols.

But you can see that Firefox 3 shows only mysterious small squares with 4 numbers in each of it :crazy: .
Firefox 2 shows either the correct symbol or a question mark (if it doesn't find a corresponding symbol in any font-file).
The behaviour of FF 2 seems more normally - and furthermore shows me that there are somewhere some correct symbols on the computer. But for any reason FF3 doesn't find/use them :no: .

Especially the comparison of column 21D (see the images above) ist remarkably.

Could anybody please test the website www.w3.org mentioned above?
Another website where I can see many of those strange squares (instead of symbols or question marks) is e.g. http://www1.chapman.edu/~jipsen/mathml/asciimathsyntax.html.

I'm not sure whether it's a Firefox or KernelEx problem.

When I view the math arrows page using Firefox 2.0.0.20 or Netscape Navigator 9.0.0.6, a window pops up saying this:

-------------------

To properly display the MathML on this page you need to install the following fonts:

CMSY10, CMEX10, Math1, Math2, Math 4. For further information see:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts

-------------------

The page is then rendered, and it appears correct (no question mark symbols) until column 21E, row B. At that location and down, and for the entire next column (21F) I have ? (question mark symbol). Everything else is identical to the sample, for both FF and Netscape. Viewing that page with IE6, I get asked if I want to save or open the file, I select open, and IE spawns Palemoon 3.6.32 where it displays the same as FF and Netscape except that in place of ? character is something wierd.

Opera 12.02 also shows the correct arrows up to column 21e row B, and then just a small box character after that.

Going to my control panel, fonts, I can find no fonts that are listed in the message (cmsy, cmex, math1, etc). Searching my drive for any file containing "cmsy10" I find:

mathfontcmsy10.properties 5kb 4/15/09 program files\mozilla firefox\res\fonts

mathfontcmsy10.properties 5kb 2/19/08 program files\netscape\navigator 9\res\fonts

Those files are readable in wordpad. They are not binary files.

It looks like these fonts are available as part of this k-meleon GREUpdateTree package:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/GREUpdateTree

Regarding http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/build/main/Characters/Blocks/02190_Arrows-full.xhtml:

The page is then rendered, and it appears correct (no question mark symbols) until column 21E, row B. At that location and down, and for the entire next column (21F) I have ? (question mark symbol).

Does it look like the following screenshot (with ? instead of squares with numbers within)? post-254155-0-78207000-1420847685_thumb.

mathfontcmsy10.properties 5kb 4/15/09 program files\mozilla firefox\res\fonts
mathfontcmsy10.properties 5kb 2/19/08 program files\netscape\navigator 9\res\fonts

Those files I have in the the mozlla firefox\res\fonts folder from Firefox 2, too.
They are also readable by MS Word and Firefox.
They are not fonts themselves; maybe only properties or settings.

P.S.: Inspired from the tip with missing fonts I found for the moment a font called  arialuni.TTF  on my MS-Word-2000 CD. It has 23 MB(!). After installing the font I get many more symbols :yes: than on my first two screenshots; see the actual screenshot from Firefox 3.5.19 above. Only some very "exotic" and rare symbols (column 21F and partially 21E) are missing. It seems that I get with the font arialuni.TTF the same result as you got already "per default".
Did/do you have already the font  arialuni.TTF?

I will now try some of the other fonts you suggested, and compare with arialuni.TTF.

Edited by diamant

> Does it look like the following screenshot (with ? instead

> of squares with numbers within)?

Yes. It did look like that.

> Did/do you have already the font arialuni.TTF?

Yes, I already did have that font installed and present in /windows/fonts.

I have a similar problem with 'font awesome'. FireFox 2.0.20 displays the fonts on this site perfectly:

http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/

While on SeaMonkey 2.0.14 I see them only for a fraction of a second and then these squares show up.

Follow up: After locally saving the site the fonts are displayed as they should. Is this just a strange behaviour because SM 2.0.14 work only because of KernelEx ? I also can not c&p an image from a website directly into CorelDraw 11. I need to c&p it into IrfanView (or another image viewer, etc.) and then c&p the image into CD11.

Edited by MiKl

• 3 weeks later...

After trying some fonts (especially for working with MathML) I stayed in conclusion at the font "Symbola". I modified the newest version a little bit; i.e. improved some integral symbols and compressed the font file symbola_hint.ttf by deleting emtpy glyphs so that it has only 3,19 MB now.

Symbola has not all symbols (e.g. chinese or japanese symbols are missing), but many Unicode symbols are included. Actual screenshot from http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/build/main/Characters/Blocks/02190_Arrows-full.xhtml with Symbola: post-254155-0-25017400-1422617834_thumb.

@ MiKl

How did you install that font FontAwesome? I tested it by simply copying the file  fontawesome-webfont.ttf  into Windows' fonts folder. I did not copy the other files included in the downloaded file font-awesome-4.3.0.zip.

After that Firefox 3.5.19 displays http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/ correctly without any further modifications. Firefox 3.5.19 requires KernelEx, too (like SeaMonkey 2.0.14 does).

Which KernelEx version do you use?

Yoo should try Firefox 3.5.19 together with FontAwesome to find out whether your problem is maybe a SeaMonkey issue.

Does copying images from websites work with Firefox 2.0.0.20/Firefox 3.5.19? I can't try it with CorelDraw because I don't have Corel Draw; but with some other image viewers/editors (IrfanView & Fixfoto) does it work if I copy an image from Firefox 3.5.19 into the editor.

What exactly happens if you try to copy and paste an image directly from SeaMonkey into CorelDraw?

Yoo should try Firefox 3.5.19 together with FontAwesome to find out whether your problem is maybe a SeaMonkey issue.

Does copying images from websites work with Firefox 2.0.0.20/Firefox 3.5.19? I can't try it with CorelDraw because I don't have Corel Draw; but with some other image viewers/editors (IrfanView & Fixfoto) does it work if I copy an image from Firefox 3.5.19 into the editor.

What exactly happens if you try to copy and paste an image directly from SeaMonkey into CorelDraw?

@ diamant. Thank you for your reply ! Yes, it was indeed a SeaMonkey issue within 'about:config'.

I don't remember if I changed this setting sometime in the past or NoScript set it up wrongly during its installation but after changing 'noscript.forbidFonts' to true all font issues I had are gone.

Yes, copying an image from all non-KernelEx browsers works perfectly. Using e.g. SM2.014 nothing just shows up in CorelDraw 11.

Maybe this would work again in a later version of CorelDraw needing KEx ?

Yes, copying an image from all non-KernelEx browsers works perfectly. Using e.g. SM2.014 nothing just shows up in CorelDraw 11.

Maybe this would work again in a later version of CorelDraw needing KEx ?

Is the "paste button" (or similarly) in CorelDraw active (i.e. not greyed out) if you previously have selected "copy graphic" in SeaMonkey?

Do you use an older or newer CorelDraw version?

Firefox 3.5.19 is a "KernelEx browser". So if copying works (does it?) with Firefox 3.5.19 your problem should not be a general KernelEx issue. If I were you I would try/test the following:

- Try to copy&paste from an old SeaMonkey version into your current CorelDraw version.

- Try to copy&paste from FF 3.5.19 version into your current CorelDraw version.

- Try to copy&paste from current SM 2.0.14 version into several (older and newer) CorelDraw versions.

- Try to copy&paste from current SM 2.0.14 version into another image editor (like FixFoto; I can email you an old exe for testing if you want).

That you can copy into IrfanView shows that copying from SM 2.0.14 isn't impossible in general.