SSD Drive Disappears After Sleep

I have a machine where I just replaced the motherboard, CPU, and memory in it.  It's been working fine, except lately when I walk off from the computer for an extended period of time.   When I come back, I see a BIOS message about providing a boot device, etc.  If I completely cut power to the computer for a few moments and then turn it back on, it starts working again.

My guess is with the board / drivers that are on this computer now (I reloaded Windows 8.1 with all the new drivers on it) that somehow it's not handling sleep mode well with the SSD, so when it cuts power it's not getting it back?  Or is there something with the BIOS going on?   Or is this indicating that I need to worry about this drive and replace it?

If you see a bios message after sleep mode (without you doing nothing), it means that sleep mode first crashed Windows. Then your SSD has a problem restarting. Can you manually test sleep mode?

What brand SSD is it and what motherboard are you using?

Asus A58M-E and Kingston SV300S37A120G.

If you see a bios message after sleep mode (without you doing nothing), it means that sleep mode first crashed Windows. Then your SSD has a problem restarting. Can you manually test sleep mode?

Obviously (on the first sentence), which is why I'm looking in that direction.  The problem didn't exist with this drive in the old board.  Just putting it in sleep mode manually is fine.   Since it didn't exist with the old board (it got replaced for a couple of capacitors blowing), I'm wondering if the drive got compromised then, as well.  Of course, I wouldn't put it past being a Windows problem either (namely drivers with the specific function of putting this drive into sleep mode), as I've noticed recently it has been unstable on this machine with time.

Okay, this computer just died while I was using it.

If you were active on it, it may rule out the sleep issue, although it could be a symptom.

Make sure the chipset drivers are installed. If your SATA mode is in AHCI or RAID, see if you can install the Intel Rapid Storage (IRST) software. IRST may refuse to install or open since you have a Kingston SSD.

You could potentially be seeing a disk failure. I do not know how to test SSD, but a tool like this might be used:

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

Wait for others on that guidance.

Also check to see what your Resume setting is in the BIOS. It is the one with S3, S5, etc settings.

I reverted the chipset drivers to what was on the disk, but I got the drive being sanded and taking a minute to come back.  Or the system gets so unstable I have to hard-reset it.  Part of the reason why I tried updating the drivers was this symptom.  The RAID thing is a possibility, as I'm not sure if there was a specific port that non-RAID drives needed to go in (3 on the front, 3 on the side).  This is because I get the same problem if I try using the optical drive.  Drives are set to AHCI in BIOS.  I'm not sure how Intel software has anything to do with an AMD board/chip.  The BIOS does not have a "Resume" setting that I can find.  Only thing left I can think of is that I found a bios update dated 12/14/2014, so I might fire that up and see if things get better that way.

Edit: Still unstable.

Make sure the chipset drivers are installed. If your SATA mode is in AHCI or RAID, see if you can install the Intel Rapid Storage (IRST) software. IRST may refuse to install or open since you have a Kingston SSD.

Also check to see what your Resume setting is in the BIOS. It is the one with S3, S5, etc settings.

Edited by Glenn9999

I mixed up the model of that board. I was thinking of B85M which is an Intel board.

Intel chipsets often have problems with an SSD drive if the relevant software is not installed. To my knowledge, there is no equivalent AMD software. You are right, IRST will not work on an AMD board.

I don't have the board you have, but I looked at the manual for the Asus A55BM-PLUS and see it only seems to support a variable S4. Check your manual (or BIOS) under APM/Advanced Power Management to see if you have any other or similar options. You can see the different S states broken down here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface#Power_states

Typically S3 (or S5 if using Hibernation) would be preferred, especially if troubleshooting a potential disk issue. In a situation where there is a problem with a hard disk, I wouldn't want to have S4 enabled at all.

As stated up above, this board does not have such settings.  The closest smelling thing is "EPU power saving mode", which doesn't seem indicative of anything related to sleep modes. 

I don't have the board you have, but I looked at the manual for the Asus A55BM-PLUS and see it only seems to support a variable S4. Check your manual (or BIOS) under APM/Advanced Power Management to see if you have any other or similar options. You can see the different S states broken down here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface#Power_states

Typically S3 (or S5 if using Hibernation) would be preferred, especially if troubleshooting a potential disk issue. In a situation where there is a problem with a hard disk, I wouldn't want to have S4 enabled at all.

SSD's making grinding noise? :crazy:

Sounds like you have an entirely different hardware component causing problems.

Actually I think it was the optical drive.  Higher pitched grinding than if it were a fan.  It completely ceased when I reboot.   The more I think about it and research it, the more I think that a parallel issue to the Intel IRST stuff that Tripedacus suggsted is happening.  But I'm not really seeing any suggested solves.  Updated the BIOS again on the motherboard, flashed the SSD.  Threw another set of drivers on there.  Maybe I'll come across one thing that will solve it.

Went ahead and wiped the OS and the problem went away.  So I would say either a driver conflict in me trying to update them, or I ended up with a virus somehow (though Microsoft Defender and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware both missed it, if that was the case).  Had the 32-bit OS on long enough to see the problem gone, but since I had the new processor and enough memory to do it (the original issue as to why I went back to 32-bit), I went to the x64 version and hopefully can stick with it.

Edited by Glenn9999