KernelEx 2022 (Kex22) Test Versions (4.22.26.2)

jumper

Thanks for all the support, folks!

Looking for Kexstub installation info, I found the full recommendations list and I will be installing these files before proceeding any further. Reading through the individual updates' information, I need to verify:

1. that I'm supposed to rename  "Kstub88.dll" to 'Kexstub.dll' by the time I finish this install?

2. According to the SP3 homepage, SP3 isn't supposed to be installed on systems with IE6 (required for Teamviewer app on my system). Anyone know anything to the contrary? The link on the recommendations page takes you straight to the SP3 download and should be warning of conflicts with IE6, though it may be in a Readme file...

I do plan on installing Kexstubs to support the DNSAPI.dll called for by CloudMe. I discovered some pertinent information regarding this dependency in the post referred to for usage of the iphlpapi4.dll. In the 'Without Kexstubs' section, under the 'Kstub_KnownDLLs' subsection, it shows a RegEdit entry forwarding calls for DNSAPI.dll (among others) to LZ32.dll, as if some registry changes may be a fallback solution.

@loblo Regarding Kstub88 definitions, "You also need to add a definition for DnsRecordListFree..."  For instance?

@loblo Thanks for the actual .dll file

If I require the other dependency .dll files indicated by Drugwash, do they (and DNSAPI.dll) need to be registered? Can they be registered when they are dummy files or designed for other operating systems?

Edited by from50sand60s

@loblo Regarding Kstub88 definitions, "You also need to add a definition for DnsRecordListFree..."  For instance?

@loblo Thanks for the actual .dll file

If I require the other dependency .dll files indicated by Drugwash, do they (and DNSAPI.dll) need to be registered? Can they be registered when they are dummy files or designed for other operating systems?

You can probably just leave it empty, eg:  DnsRecordListFree= 

If some dialog ever pops up about that function try f2 or z2 (2 because the function's got two parameters as per MSDN doc).

Only COM/ActiveX files are registerable (and require registration to work) and that's not the case here AFAIK so don't worry about it in this case. 

I use plenty of those files not designed to work with a 9x OS, mostly directShow filters but also some shell extensions and everything is fine, no dummies though.

All discussion about installing CloudMe is off-topic--take it elsewhere!

Sorry about that Jumper, you're right.

Any news regarding  the kexbasen issues of the latest builds btw?

You need to to use msvcr70 as msvcrt and your issue with LIBSTDC++-6 will be gone. No KernelEx version handles missing msvcrt functions AFAIK (and trying to use KexStub for that doesn't even let me fully boot).

I attempted to get GCC 4.8 (from mingw-w64) to run on Windows 98 by using Kext stubs to forward msvcrt:_fstat64 and a few other missing msvcrt functions to another msvcrXX.dll library version, and it seemed to work just fine. No harm to my system. However, I couldn't link anything because ld would abort and print out this "ld: asprintf failed" message. :(

I wonder if side-by-side assembly could resolve msvcrt version incompatibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

In all the KernelEx development work done to date in the current 4.5.2015.x (or the Kexstub package), is there any resolution for this function call, 'SETUPAPI.DLL:CM_Locate_DevNodeA', to work under Win98SE?

Wine has a stub that appears to address something around this...

http://code.metager.de/source/xref/wine/dlls/setupapi/stubs.c

• 1 month later...

Midi files open and play normally in mplayer2.exe when I double-click them. What version/build/package of KernelEx did you install?

Please post all the text details (the stack info is very helpful) and I'll look into it.

I've installed softice in the VM now and this is the location of the crash and the call stack. 

55d50096851ef.png

EDIT: Forgot to configure it properly, gonna post a better shot in a bit

EDIT2: I remember this problem from KEX 2015.8. This one is KEX 2015.9 from the installer posted last page. 

55d50275af4c2.png

Perhaps this is more helpful?

100% reproducable: Install MPlayer 9.0, SP3 and KEX 2015.9 in any order, double click media file. -> Crash

Edited by oerg866

Disable KernelEx on Wmpshell.

And please post the full error text details as requested. I need to know the passed parameters as well as the call stack.

Edited by jumper

I'm sorry, my lack of sleep might be playing tricks on me, but what do you mean by "full error text details"?

Do you mean this?

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault inmodule UNICOWS.DLL at 016f:7f2daf19.Registers:EAX=ffffffff CS=016f EIP=7f2daf19 EFLGS=00010286EBX=00000000 SS=0177 ESP=01bde438 EBP=01bde438ECX=81e0d404 DS=0177 ESI=01bdeee4 FS=350fEDX=00000000 ES=0177 EDI=000000a7 GS=24b6Bytes at CS:EIP:66 8b 08 40 40 66 85 c9 75 f6 2b 45 08 d1 f8 48 Stack dump:01bdee70 7f2f879b ffffffff 4548532f 4c484c4c 39565f50 616c5020 442f2079 4f617461 63656a62 454e3a74 45504546 41424648 41414141 414f4141 41414142 
Edited by oerg866