KernelEx 2022 (Kex22) Test Versions (4.22.26.2)

jumper

Here is an installer for KernelEx 2.5.2015.9, note that I have not tested it myself and as always with developmental software, one should backup first.

Commit and TGZ of the commit this falls under:

http://remood.org:8080/kernelex/info/915c88c31be3deb871fa97a96aee5d365b0a960c

http://remood.org:8080/kernelex/tarball/KernelEx-915c88c31be3deb8.tar.gz?uuid=915c88c31be3deb871fa97a96aee5d365b0a960c

EDIT: Never hit the "Attach This File" button.

KernelEx 4.5.2015.9.exe

Edited by GhostlyDeath

Cool Testing.

By The way, MSFN is working again for me. Either the site changed or it was because I installed some of jumpers recomended updates, well... the only one I was missing was MSXML 4 SP3.

Trev

Not really.

If you want to test it then you take the risk of it crashing your PC however...

To Test:

Simply install 2015.9

Test

un-install

re-install 4.2.5

If at anypoint you cannot boot into windows Safe Mode WILL work since Kex is a driver that is not loaded there.

simply uninstall from safemode.

---------

Test result for me.

It works so far. No crashes or anything.

I also wanted to say that I realised earlyer that Jumper released the dll's for .8 and I tested that with no adverse effects. I didnt realise there wasnt all that much to the installer. It simply does a wininit alteration.

One difference between 2015.8 and .9 is that the debug window fails with Missing export KERNELEX.DLL:blogFile

However, that debug window never worked for me anyway. I checked the box in an exe property to enable it but even with the window open nothing was output. so nothing really lost.

Now, using Ktree I notice there are a lot of duplicates between kstubs and kexbasen. What order does Core.ini have to be for Kexbasen to take priority?

Trev

I'd like to test this, but is there an easy way to switch between 4.5.2 and the 2015 version to compare them?

- Create a duplicate folder of C:\WINDOWS\KernelEx named, for example, KernelE0 (with all files inside)

- Install newest version; old version will remain intact in the newly created folder above

To switch between versions:

- go to DOS or Safe Mode

- rename the KernelEx folder to something else (such as KernelE1)

- rename the KernelE0 folder to KernelEx

- reboot normally

On each switch just remember the name of the alternate folder will be either KernelE0 or KernelE1.

To check which version you're running at any point in time, just run verify.exe from the current KernelEx folder.

I feel fortunate to have come across this work being done to extend KernelEx capabilities...

Running version.7 on a Win98SE machine - no SP3, Revolution Pack, 98SEtoMe...

Installing CloudMe 1.8.8 version (said to work with KernelEx 4.5.3.1). Installing in default mode (with extensions). First installation attempts seemed to require installing msvcr70 as msvcrt.dll in C:\Windows\System for the program to run, so I did that. The original error message is gone. Now receive error that DNSAPI.dll is missing when I attempt to run CloudMe. This is not a native .dll file in Win98SE. In this post, there was no mention of additional specific (Win2000/XP) drivers required and I doubt that they were included in the Firefox installation associated with the mentioned success of the CloudMe installation (though the author did mention, vaguely, that "drivers" were installed when Win98SE was installed).

So the question is, are there additional drivers in v. 4.5.3.1 (including DNSAPI.dll) not present in version.7 (kinda doubt it) or is SP3 required even though that isn't mentioned (much more likely)? If/when I have the required files, what compatibility mode should I install/operate in?

Best regards to you all

I see that loblo did something interesting back in Jan 2012 with a dummy dnsapi.dll under the topic of "finding and fixing dependency problems". Otherwise, this dependency on dnsapi.dll cannot be resolved with Win98 SP3 - not provided in that distribution. So, is this dependency managed somehow in KernelEx 4.5.3.1?

Okay. Installed v4.5.3.1 and installed CloudMe 1.8.8 under default mode (with extensions; no advanced compatibility mode selected). Opened program and received error "LIBSTDC++-6.DLL file is linked to missing export MSVCRT.DLL:_fstat64", the same error I first received under version.7 before swapping msvcr70.dll for msvcrt. So there appears to be no special fix in v4.5.3.1. Unable to duplicate the success of the author without further advice...

You need to to use msvcr70 as msvcrt and your issue with LIBSTDC++-6 will be gone. No KernelEx version handles missing msvcrt functions AFAIK (and trying to use KexStub for that doesn't even let me fully boot).

Thank you, loblo.

Swapping msvcr70.dll for msvcrt.dll does resolve the issue with LIBSTDC++-6 as I discovered while running version.7, but there's no special fix regarding the dependency in CloudMe 1.8.8 for DNSAPI.dll included in version 4.5.3.1 - still get the error that this file is missing. I cannot substantiate Drugwash's success running this app in Win98SE.

After finding your 2010 post regarding your creation of a dummy DNSAPI.dll, it still seems possible to get this app up and running...

Edited by from50sand60s

Installed the dummy DNSAPI.dll. Apparently, the real thing is required. Leads to error "QT5NETWORK.DLL file is linked to missing export DNSAPI.DLL:DnsQuery_W".

Any insight, Drugwash?

Edited by from50sand60s

You need to have KexStub installed with the definition  below in kstub822.ini  to be able to load CloudMe.

[Dnsapi.dll]
DnsQuery_W=f6

Not sure if it's fully functional  as I am not interested in this app but it sure loads OK. (Latest version as I couldn't find 1.8.8.)

Edit: You also need to add a definition  for DnsRecordListFree. I had forgotten all about this dummy dnsapi.dll I made a while back and dumped in my sys dir. Turns out it's handling that function but KexStub will do the job too (and certainly better).

Edited by loblo

Installed the dummy DNSAPI.dll. Apparently, the real thing is required. Leads to error "QT5NETWORK.DLL file is linked to missing export DNSAPI.DLL:DnsQuery_W".

Any insight, Drugwash?

Sorry for replying so late, been busy today.

My 98SE system is nine years old and it has undergone a lot of replacements and additions during this time. I have KernelEx 4.5.2 and Kstub822 (which may not be of importance in this case) plus Auto-Patcher and Revolutions Pack. Most likely I already had DNSAPI.DLL installed prior to installing CloudMe, but my memory is fuzzy so I can't tell for certain - it's also possible I have "borrowed" it right then from somewhere.

The version of DNSAPI.DLL installed on my system is 5.0.2181.1, said to be coming from Windows 2000 and it uses 'default' KernelEx settings.

It also has five dependencies: msvcrt.dll, advapi32.dll, kernel32.dll, wsock32.dll, rpcrt4.dll.

If possible, try to profile the CloudMe executable through Dependency Walker, see if there's any other missing files or APIs.