KernelEx 2022 (Kex22) Test Versions (4.22.26.2)

jumper

Hello GhostlyDeath, welcome to the project.

>Hello, is there a repository where these changes are going into (such as git, hg, or fossil)? If not, it would be far superior to have such a thing so that changes are easier to be gauged and more may easily contribute API additions for anything that is missing. There would also be a reduced risk of GPL violations as every change would be made public.

Agreed. In fact, we've already considered using a repository. Do you know of any that are compatible with both Win9x and VC6?

>I am also requesting the full source code for the latest Release.9.7z build.

Drugwash has already made a motion for me to release a full source package and now GhostlyDeath has seconded it, so the motion passes. I'll clean up my 4.5.2015.9 source snapshot and post it ASAP.

>My current plan, once I finish relocating my possessions and can unpack my Windows 98 SE system to plug it in, is to attempt to add support for a manually installed Oracle Java 8 JDK if it is not already supported.

We've had a great deal of trouble building a stable version of Kexbasen.dll that works on all configurations of 98/SE/ME. If you get your system up and running before I can post source.9, please install the KernelEx toolchain and test it by building the 4.5.2 release, the 4.5.3 beta, and Ley0k's 4.6 beta; then post each of the Kexbasen versions for our testers to test with. TIA.

Edited by jumper

Hey, jumper, glad to see you back! :hello:

Have you managed to set up your environment for a full batch compilation? If not, could you please try the R5 at my repository (being latest available at the time of posting) and see if it does the job and it's got no wrong settings or bugs? It would be good to sync our settings so that little to no project changes would be required for each subsequent revision.

I currently have no helper tool installed on my 98SE system (such as diff, Tortoise SVN or the like) so I'm doing all the patching manually which is error prone. If you know of such tool that doesn't slow down the system (I remember Tortoise did slow it down badly because of its shell extensions, reason why I uninstalled it years ago), please refer me to it.

Hello GhostlyDeath, welcome to the project.

>Hello, is there a repository where these changes are going into (such as git, hg, or fossil)? If not, it would be far superior to have such a thing so that changes are easier to be gauged and more may easily contribute API additions for anything that is missing. There would also be a reduced risk of GPL violations as every change would be made public.

Agreed. In fact, we've already considered using a repository. Do you know of any that are compatible with both Win9x and VC6?

>I am also requesting the full source code for the latest Release.9.7z build.

Drugwash has already made a motion for me to release a full source package and now GhostlyDeath has seconded it, so the motion passes. I'll clean up my 4.5.2015.9 source snapshot and post it ASAP.

>My current plan, once I finish relocating my possessions and can unpack my Windows 98 SE system to plug it in, is to attempt to add support for a manually installed Oracle Java 8 JDK if it is not already supported.

We've had a great deal of trouble building a stable version of Kexbasen.dll that works on all configurations of 98/SE/ME. If you get your system up and running before I can post source.9, please install the KernelEx toolchain and test it by building the 4.5.2 release, the 4.5.3 beta, and Ley0k's 4.6 beta; then post each of the Kexbasen versions for our testers to test with. TIA.

Hey, jumper you are awesome. Thank you for being cordial in the situation instead of having a one track mind. I hope you guys come up with a master plan and exceed in this endeavor. Wish you the best. Keep up the good work.

OK, I finally fixed my access to this site by dissabling everything in IE6.

It turns out its a scripting error that causes a crash in mprex 0177:xxxxxxxx, so dissabling active scripting solves that.

(Ive noticed the segment 0177 a lot througout the topic, does it have a meaning? most of my faultlog.txt is 0177 or 0005 or 0000)

Anyway I just wanted to say Im glad there is an update to KEX and I have to congratulate Jumper for being such a gentleman with regard to the threats of DeathlyGhost.

I say threats because I too as others read your comments as hostile. A simple "I want to help" would have been much nicer.

I guess Ill have to wait on *.10 for an installer but Im really looking forward to it.

If feature requests were accepted then I guess Id like some of the new Mods to X-Wing Alliance to work, however they have been compiled in .NET4 and so dont run. Not even sure what dlls would be required, it surely wouldnt be all of them?

Trev

Thank you!

Just to make it clear for myself and any others interested: this package is cumulative - meaning it contains all changes since official 4.5.2 - and has to be applied to the official 4.5.2 sources to get to the current 4.5.2015.9, right?

I'll set up a separate branch with 4.5.2, apply the above package and check against my old setup, to see what else has to be done to get a full batch in one shot. When ready I'll try to pack up the changed files for further testing.

The only systems I have are Win98SE. I do have a QEMU system that I am still currently setting up, attempting to install cygwin right now to see how well it will work. Once I get a fully working system I am going to clone it and have a backup so I can more easily destory and experiment with, rather than doing meticilous backups on real hardware.

For version control on Win98, probably would be best to go with Cygwin 1.5, it luckily is still available. Then with that you have: git and mercurial (hg) as packages. Those versions would be horribly out of date and building new ones might not be possible with such out of date software. Pushing to newer versions of those repositories would also be troublesome as they may have backwards incompatible changes. And the fact that they will require a cygwin install.

So in light of that, I believe the best choice to make is to use fossil, which is at http://fossil-scm.org/. They do officially support Windows although their official builds of fossil do not run with KernelEx 4.5.2. The only dependencies it requires is SQLite. We can all just host our own repository somewhere and expose it over HTTP and then just pull each other's code when needed. Fossil also has a bonus in that it is just a single executable and does not use tons of shell scripts or other files. The repositories are also single files rather than a group of files, so uploading our repositories here would be rather simple (one could then download and then pull from it). Also being a single file means that you could host the repository on DOS (if you really wanted to), and it is very simple to backup (copy a single file). And if all of us host our own repositories over the net, we would all be masters so there would be no hassle of setting up SSH keys and permissions. Fossil also has a built in web server, so you can just forward ports to grant access to it, no need to setup a HTTP server.

I have a fossil repository setup here http://remood.org:8080/kernelexwhich any fossil client can clone off, however it is read only. I will bring in Release 9's changes later on. Assuming you have fossil available, it would be a simple:

C:\> fossil clone http://remood.org:8080/kernelexkernelex.fossil

C:\> mkdir kernelex

C:\> cd kernelex

C:\kernelex> fossil open ..\kernelex.fossil

As previously mentioned, if my cygwin install is successful I will cross-compile fossil so it can be run on native Win98 without KernelEx or cygwin, then I will upload it and any diffs to the sources if it does not compile cleanly, the only remaining thing to do would be to download it and place it somewhere in %PATH% (such as C:\Windows). Then you can use COMMAND.COM to use it.

I would not recommend using CVS or SVN since DVCS perform much better.

Intentional Double Post.

The ZIP linked here http://remood.org/fossil_9x_1.zip contains fossil and a diff from base fossil, there are few changes.

The readme contains more details.

For KernelEx to support an unpatched fossil with full functionality, the following are required:

* Support for services (no stubs as calls are actually used, also needs ChangeServiceConfig2W and QueryServiceConfig2W), these are in ADVAPI32.DLL

* NT Specific environment variables (patch GetEnvironment*) such as USER, APPDATA, LOCALAPPDATA, etc.

* Support for ACLs (which are used on NTFS), otherwise fossil believes no files may be written to as it checks for permissions before hand.

This patched fossil cannot use the "server" or "ui" commands due to lack of service functionality.

EDIT: To prevent a triple post...

The file auxiliary/psapi/dosstub.exe appears to be missing and there is nothing that I know of in the source tree which can build it. It is required to the auxiliary DLLs, please upload the stub or the source and instructions on building it.

Edited by GhostlyDeath

• 2 weeks later...

You can find dosstub.exe in KernelEx4520155_src.7z at my repository - it's a 64 byte file.

XP-SP3 (in my tests) does not recognize LOCALAPPDATA as an environment variable - is it only available/declared in newer OS versions? Off-topic, I'd like to know how to programmatically get that variable in NT/2000+ OS versions, for an unrelated script I'm building.

Ok, so I got tired of waiting on a full 2015.10 installer and so installed Drugwashes latest 2015.3.

As soon as the system booted into the desktop I got hit by an Illegal Operation.

After dismissing it explorer would re-load and cause it again.

I enabled DRWatson and my screen quickly filled with Ill-Ops! I mean Compleatly, Taskbar had a scroller on it too!

Sample:

Date 05/22/2015 Time 20:00

RUNDLL32 caused an invalid page fault in

module KEXBASEN.DLL at 0177:7d0014cc.

Registers:

EAX=0141ff3c CS=0177 EIP=7d0014cc EFLGS=00010286

EBX=00905a4d SS=017f ESP=0141fec0 EBP=0141feec

ECX=00417760 DS=017f ESI=00417760 FS=0e7f

EDX=7803a3a8 ES=017f EDI=00400000 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

81 3b 24 3d 7d 94 75 62 8b 45 0c 2b c7 8b 0d f4

Stack dump:

00000000 00417760 00000001 00419664 00905a4d 0141fec0 0141fcf0 0141ff3c 7d00ab98 7d00cde8 ffffffff 0141ff04 7d00148c 00400000 00417760 7d00117a

Date 05/22/2015 Time 20:02

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in

module KEXBASEN.DLL at 0177:7d0014cc.

Registers:

EAX=01cdff3c CS=0177 EIP=7d0014cc EFLGS=00010286

EBX=00905a4d SS=017f ESP=01cdfec0 EBP=01cdfeec

ECX=00451e30 DS=017f ESI=00451e30 FS=383f

EDX=7803a3a8 ES=017f EDI=00400000 GS=0000

81 3b 24 3d 7d 94 75 62 8b 45 0c 2b c7 8b 0d f4

Stack dump:

00000000 00451e30 00000001 00460fc8 00905a4d 01cdfec0 01cdfcf0 01cdff3c 7d00ab98 7d00cde8 ffffffff 01cdff04 7d00148c 00400000 00451e30 7d00117a

This second entry is what forever repeats untill I un-installed KEX in safe mode.

I managed to find the Watson log for this.

KernelEx Base Non-shared Api Library performed an invalid memory access.

Unrelated Question...

Would anyone know why I am now getting an Ill-Opp in Kernel32.dll while on this site?

I am currently accessing the site in High Security + No Styles to get round the problem.

Date 05/23/2015 Time 00:53

IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in

module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7a138.

Registers:

EAX=0a1a3d50 CS=0177 EIP=bff7a138 EFLGS=00010202

EBX=01854ac4 SS=017f ESP=006485b8 EBP=006485f8

ECX=405f2539 DS=017f ESI=0181414c FS=363f

EDX=1c3c6219 ES=017f EDI=0a1e46c8 GS=0000

89 51 08 8b 53 08 8b 43 04 89 42 04 8d 93 0b 10

Stack dump:

006485f8 00040978 01813748 00000a04 bff7a3a0 00420000 0181414c 00040978 00000000 0042000c 00420000 01813748 00000040 00000000 00001854 00001814

EDIT:

I just managed to Issolate the problem toi Styles since as soon as I unticked "Ignore Colours Specified in Web Pages" in Tools>Accessability MSFN crashed with the attached log

WATSON70.txt

IECrash_MSFN.txt

Edited by trevor89

Please note the KernelEx builds at my repository are experimental and untested. Do not install them on working/critical machines.

Unfortunately I've been too busy in real life and therefore unable to patch the sources to R9 and build.

No idea about the IE error - I used to use SlimBrowser under 98SE but uninstalled it after it started erroring out and replaced it with Firefox 9.0.1.

Please note the KernelEx builds at my repository are experimental and untested. Do not install them on working/critical machines.Unfortunately I've been too busy in real life and therefore unable to patch the sources to R9 and build.No idea about the IE error - I used to use SlimBrowser under 98SE but uninstalled it after it started erroring out and replaced it with Firefox 9.0.1.

Haha, Thats why I Tested it. If nobody tests it then whats the point.

Trev

True, but only for people that know what they're doing and are willing to assume any possible inconvenience. ;) There may always be someone who does not know the experimental nature of these builds and unknowingly break their system, so it's fair to issue such warning. Anyway, thank you for testing and I'm sorry it didn't work for you.