KernelEx 2022 (Kex22) Test Versions (4.22.26.2)

jumper

That is not the way to submit an error report. :(

The video plays in FF2 w/Flash 9.0.47, so it's not a cypher or codec issue.

Edit:
I can reproduce the following GPF, but it's not clear from the KernelEx Error Console (DebugWindow) or preliminary debugging what is the problem:
Date 02/10/2020 Time 11:58
FIREFOX caused an invalid page fault in
module NPSWF32.DLL at 016f:06063818.
Registers:
EAX=00000004 CS=016f EIP=06063818 EFLGS=00250246
EBX=00000000 SS=0177 ESP=0115ec48 EBP=0000001f
ECX=c1760270 DS=0177 ESI=063d52e0 FS=3e17
EDX=00020000 ES=0177 EDI=063c2000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
ff 75 78 8b ce ff 75 7c 57 e8 e7 00 fe ff 8b f0
Stack dump:
00000004 00000001 063c2000 00000200 005a2df4 fffffffe ffffffff 03353518 00000000 00000000 0115ee14 00573cc3 603717ed 033533f0 0060bf98 01203fc4

Edited by jumper

Your program error is very similar to mine. I think my CometBird ApiLog gives the best report. Created when opening the Flash test page. The Flash & Opera.zip was created while profiling in Depends and opening the Flash test page. The Opera crash report did not contain any NPSWF32_22_0_0_209.dll string so I did not include it but I could if you want. When testing Browser Audit with Win7 latest Opera & Flash32 it says skipped tests because "The web browser is blocking the Flash Player plugin on this web page." First time I tried Browser Audit : - after I installed Flash on Win7, it would not progress to testing like the 4.5.2 test I did on WinME.

With my system, WinWord97 may be best suited with Basen other than what was stated before. If set Disabled or Min then it says when saving that there is not enough memory available.

I rename Flash32_23_0_0_207.ocx after installing flashplayer23_0r0_207_winax.msi to flash.ocx and registering so that early flash is compatible. Flash screen saver tested this way and OK. The standalone player flashplayer23_0r0_207_win_sa.exe works although a timing issue when exiting occurs. I have *\FLASH*.* set to DCFG1.

CometBird Flash.zip Flash & Opera.zip

Edited by Goodmaneuver

I have discovered that it is the timing issue on exit that causes a problem and therefore KEX24 is not at fault. I have tested Flash ActiveX on Internet Explorer with this site without problems & without exiting problems. http://www.wickham43.net/flashvideo.php . This site link is a Wickham's HTML & CSS tutorial. When testing on this site with Flash Mozilla/Opera plugin there is no exiting error as I talked about in previous post. It may be marginal in Opera though and still have tab/page exiting problem. FLASHUTIL32_23_0_0_207_PLUGIN.EXE and earlier versions have errors in KEX so I delete this file and FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe in case an auto update occurs.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

I have fixed the Wizardry8 DDRAW.dll exit race to unload problem by disabling KEX on DDRAW.dll and using ThreadingModel Free in Registry InprocServer32 CLSID locations. With modules requiring a KEX setting though, setting threading model other than Apartment or Both, the appropriate module will not load.
Single should be OK but have not tested only ADVRCNTR.dll from Ahead Nero is using this setting.

JAR.exe archiver guard pages problem from https://msfn.org/board/topic/173233-kernelex-45-core-updates-45201617/?do=findComment&comment=1159232 has not occurred since KEX24 I believe.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Wiki sites load flash plugin which crashes browsers so I will remove flash plugin for now.

Correction, I think I just did not remove all the utility files not sure yet. Wiki plays WebM 480p from within the Opera 12 browser and not loading Flash.

I mentioned AdvrCntr.dll as having a reg setting of Single but I think this is causing problems. To assign a threading model of Free then a library must look after itself to unload and must have these two functions; DllGetClassObject & DllCanUnloadNow.

Thank you Jumper for including ACM files in KEX, as an initial test I have disabled MSGSM32.acm that can cause an exiting problem.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

• 4 weeks later...

I have found that NT6a KEX mode is not really NT6a but must be NT40 still as a program when doing an install said it needed NT5 or greater to install when using NT6a mode. I then used Win2K and it installed OK or went into installing. I will try and find the program & try and get NetFramework working again as it is important and I think it might be my fault not KEX as I had altered v2.0.50727.42, some assembly libraries use Msvcr80.

I could not get Adobe Reader 9 to print with various KEX mode settings but Foxit Reader worked if Foxit was set to BASES same setting as Rundll32. Need BASES on Rundll32 for nVidia control panel runtime. BTW Adobe Reader 9 will not run with BASES so printing is less likely to work but I have not experimented with rundll32 set at Win98FE for example. As long as Foxit Reader prints then this was acceptable. I will try rundll32/acrobat combinations.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Removed coments about HD Video Converter Factory

I have 2 x rundll32.exe, one in Windows folder and one in System folder. The one in the system is used by nVidia and filter configs. The one in Windows folder is used by native applications like desktop properties. When testing different modes for Adobe Reader 9 printing I did a registry setting *\RUNDLL32.EXE = WIN95 and Flags *\RUNDLL32.EXE = 16 Decimal. The result was after several reboots was the one in the System folder is Win95 do not use in child process and the one in Windows (ME in my case) folder is BASE do not use in child process.

Ended settling for BASE as a some other programs/files use this now. BASE gave BASE in both directories. Printing with Adobe Reader 9 brings up error in Kernel32 when sending info to printer.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
10 Decimal was not correct was 16 Decimal

1) Make sure default is set to Base in Core.ini.

2) Set Windows\Rundll32.exe to Use default compatibility options. (Should say: Inherit all...) It will now inherit the Adobe settings.

3) Remove Rundll32.exe from System.

1) Core.ini - [ApiConfigurations] default=0, 0=BASE - lines 1,2 & 3.

2) There is no Default option in Core.ini 20 in the sheet menu drop down. I do remember it being there in a previous Core.ini.

3) Tried that a few times it is impossible to remove rundll32 from the system without ruining my system. Ever since I can remember it has always had one in system and one in WinDir both are essential. Control panel will not work among other things that call for it in either directory.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

>>Use the KernelEx tab on the file's Property Sheet for 2).

That is what I am saying, there is no Default mode selection within the file's Property Sheet. There used to be though with a previous Core/Sheet combination. I have Sheet.dll No. 19 and Core.ini 20.

>> Use default compatibility options. (Should say: Inherit all...)

It is no longer available.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Yes, the use default compatibility under basic options but it won't work though as I have set Explorer to DCFG1 and nVidia will not like this. For instance if NVDD32 is in Default and you go to change resolution error message sent about NVDD32. It is fixed by setting a specific setting on the nVidia modules or/and RunDll32.

Acrobat 9 can use BASE, NOHEAP, Win 95/98/ME/NT6a/2K/XP/2K3 and I think BASESN (no has same effect as DCFG1). It stops working in Vista mode.

MSHTML should be set disabled for Explorers sake having DCFG1. Oleaut32 should be set BASE in case it gets loaded with a disabled executable and has to be relocated in RAM.

I have set both Foxit and Acrobat to both use BASE and also the two Rundll32 BASE with no Flags section as RunDll32 would have no child process.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Settings change

Because I am using DCFG1 on explorer it is important I say what settings I am using for nVidia at least, and besides modules will get relocated in RAM at times under differing KEX modes. Some modes that may help are :

*\UNICOWS.DLL = BASEN
*\XUL.DLL = NT40
*\*.SCR = BASE
*\MSVC*.DLL = BASE
*\*EAY32.DLL = BASE
*\*.AX = BASE
*\D3D*.DLL = BASE
*\MFC*.DLL = NT40

*\RUNDLL32.EXE = BASE
*\NV*.DLL = BASES

SHLWAPI.DLL = DISABLED

DSOUND.DLL = DISABLED

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Settings change

• 1 month later...

Remember I said Notepad++Portable needed KEX setting Win2K_MT because of a plugin. Well this is not correct; NppNetNoteA.dll needs setting disabled in the ANSI plugins.

Because I mentioned File64 stopping pshExports, File64 also stops Glory of the Roman Empire and Ancient Wars - Sparta the games. : - Fixed see https://msfn.org/board/topic/131040-revolutions-pack-97/?do=findComment&comment=1185503 

Edited by Goodmaneuver