KernelEx 2022 (Kex22) Test Versions (4.22.26.2)

jumper

Means full version name for 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 for clarity but may have just been confusing.

Python 3.2 seems to be OK now. Tested with Blender 2.64a, Python 3.3 must almost work. Later 2.6 Blender versions use Python 3.3.

I have just changed my CPU, this may lower the sensitivity to the video blackout problem? (4600+now Opteron 152) My mother board ECS K8T890-A has an AGP port/slot and a PCIe port/slot, the PCI AGP port pushes out frame rates a lot faster than motherboards with normal AGP I found. Even ATIO9XXX.dll can have an error in VLC3 on exiting. libqt_plugin.dll is definitely working now. VLC2 needed a minimum of 1GHz CPU to start up. VLC is progressing though, 3.06/8 has got a default CPU affinity setting of -1 for WebGL. There are a few options, disable opengl output module within the player if necessary or select WGL extension for OpenGL, then the CPU index can be adjusted. A positive CPU index seems to be better when changing videos within the player but worse when exiting. I think my graphics cards may get better.

More about Riched20 it works on any setting incorporating Unicode and showed no sign of differing operation in WinWord, it only shows some odd glyphs when opening Wordpad, this is why I needed NT6 setting. It might be a timing issue. Riched20 14.0.7155.5000 can be obtained from BWC's Archive if have not got Office 10.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

It has always been the case with MSI files. It would be nice to have this feature but internally written in the MSI are the install instructions and internal files can be error checked. It depends on how the MSI install instructions checks the OS version, a temporary registry change may work. SuperOrca from Pantaray can look inside the installer and the install instructions could be altered. If a CAB file needs editing for example is difficult to edit the CRC check or know how to. If the program install is from an EXE that extracts the MSI then when the MSI has to be edited after extraction but many MSIs have reliance on an external executable to start and if this is the case then there will probably be CRC checks on the MSI itself. Why not install to a different OS and get the files and reg settings, if needed, from the other OS and see if the program works. Settlers 6 works this way and Acrobat 9, as examples only, must know also any new system files that are made. But as always, I do not want to get in the way of Jumper or other members answering your question.

After I mentioned that the override settings of individual modules did not work I thought the next KEX release did the opposite characteristic. Override individual settings does not seem necessary if the modules are set properly anyway and would cause problems. PowerDVD7 can still pick up external filters for example. It has been working well with BASES setting. I have filters working and they are set up with their KEX mode setting. When I turn WMP KEX disabled it does not load LAV splitter and error confirms. It does not matter what filter it is as long as it needs a unicode setting to work, it will not load. This indicates that the override settings of individual modules happens when KEX is set disabled on the executable. I have an old build set up with 4.5.1 and I have Will Rock and Crime Scene Manhattan working set KEX disabled. This was done to test for individual modules that need KEX. Some old games like Will Rock select system codecs and if all filters are modern they will mostly not work disabled. There is only one file in Ancient Wars Sparta that needs KEX set to 98SE or similar non unicode setting within the game modules; VFS.dll, and Sparta can be set disabled. Remember this is when experimenting with 4.5.1. The thing is WMP tries to load filters when disabled but can't. Other programs are similarly effected that can operate KEX disabled eg MPC 4.9.0. The KEX settings are in a special order in RAM, let me know if this happens for other testers or does not?

If a settings check for duplicates is implemented can a invalid setting check be done like typo error. I have made mistake by typing NT6 instead of NT40 for example. But vigilance is all that is required no need for the extra sheet function.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
version number change

• 1 month later...
pshExports_alpha1.7z

Install: regsvr32 pshExports.dll
Usage: View Properties of any PE file with exports and select the new Exports tab (to the right of KernelEx)
Tip: click the selection box beneath the vertical scrollbar to change the display from Named Exports to Ordinal Exports

Edited by jumper
Updated Install, Usage, and Tip

I have tested pshExports on 4 builds, 3 successful but one does not display the Exports tab. Have you any ideas what could be wrong with this build, it has KEX24 installed in the system folder. 3 builds tested have KEX24 one has 4.5.1 and is OK.

Will Rock the game has been working then not working throughout the KEX builds. It loads LAVsplitter but no LAVvideo along with other filters and WBEM WMI files which have to be KEX disabled. Other games also can load WBEM. Will Rock works stuttery on music on 2 builds and leadin videos. It works good on 4.5.1 but this is not using LAV. The one build that works with KEX24 and LAV is the one that the Export tab does not work. It has a proviso though, KMPlayer or WMP needs to be used first, if a media player has not played some video first then the game freezes system. I have tried to fix but have had no luck. Have you any ideas, could you test Will Rock for me?

I notice that Powrprof.dll is loaded as I have startup Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme and rundll32 is not running for this but nVidia control panel and media center when running have rundll32.exe running as well. Always been the case but is this normal? Lately I get a rundll32.exe Nvcpl.dll initiation run routine error which does not want to fix itself with a new install of the driver. A registry restore is required to fix this on one build and the semi-good news is that RUNDLL32.EXE C:\ME\SYSTEM\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup runs without rundll32.exe running as well on this build. This is the best one to get going, the media center is not that important. The other KEX24 builds the driver reinstall works but rundll32.exe is running as well. I think DDhelp.exe needs a set setting but not disabled and I will try this now to try fixing some of this paragraph.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
more info

I tried DDhelp.exe as NT40 setting and now I do not need to re-instate a previous registry setting to re-instate nVidia daemon and media center. The good news is that the control panel daemon still runs without rundll32.exe running as well. The fixed setting on DDhelp should still be OK if two media apps that require different KernelEx options are run at the same time.
PshExports has stopped working on another build so not related to KEX install location.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

> one does not display the Exports tab

Not all PE files have Exports. Try SHFOLDER.dll and other system DLL's. Also try reregistering pshExports.dll.

> The good news is that the control panel daemon still runs without rundll32.exe running as well.

Any modules that are run via rundll32.exe need to have explicit modes set. Rundll32 itself should be mode disabled.

>Any modules that are run via rundll32.exe need to have explicit modes set. Rundll32 itself should be mode disabled.

It is a nVidia 8.2.6.9 thing, rundll32 kept on running but it always has except on one of my builds for nvcpl.dll, it does not make any difference with mode settings on nvcpl.dll or nvmctray.dll and all their implicits. I mentioned it because I thought it was an improvement.

>Not all PE files have Exports. Try SHFOLDER.dll and other system DLL's. Also try reregistering pshExports.dll.

Did that, pshExports.dll is actively loaded when file properties sheet is open, I will keep a look out and report if I find anything.

PS There is something I had just installed FILE64 demo on the build that just stopped working and I had FILE64 demo installed on the build that did not work from the start.

Just confirmed, I just removed the FILE64 driver string from system.ini and all is OK. Tested on build that had FILE64 installed in the first place.

Fixed see

Edited by Goodmaneuver

I have a printer setup now.

>what prevents, newmoon 26.5 for vanilla 2000 from running on 98se.

I gave my answer here https://msfn.org/board/topic/178283-how-you-really-browse-the-web-on-98me-in-2019/?do=findComment&comment=1176984 

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Removed commentary that proved to be irrelevant

On 1/29/2020 at 8:57 PM, Destro said:

what prevents, newmoon 26.5 for vanilla 2000 from running on 98se.  Are we sill not API compatible with vanilla 2000.

Not 100%  Also, there have been some regressions in my builds so try v4.5.2 on a clean system.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that Flash is being phased out in the Web but Amazon Prime can still be configured to use Flash according to Web advice. If flash is installed it crashes Opera 12.02 when Flash is being loaded and in Mozilla it creates an error in the Flash plugin or Kernel32. I have tried several Flash versions from 11.1 to 23.0: - same result. Here is a test page https://www.dhs.state.il.us/accessibility/tests/flash/video.html. If testing with BrowserAudit.com with Mozilla the error is reported in Kernel32. I have not gone back step by step in KEX versions just yet but have tested with 4.5.2 on the test page and OK though Browser Audit prepares but does not start the test. BrowserAudit.com test is OK with Flash not installed.

Edited by Goodmaneuver