KernelEx 2022 (Kex22) Test Versions (4.22.26.2)

jumper

In recent builds going back to old KEX AppSettings produces a memory overrun where the error is in unknown. I get a root directory scripting error if I go back too far in registry settings (going back to settings of 2019; I knew this). About this error : - If the 'Hide the content of this drive' is selected it works and when returning back to show the contents, the pie graph is displayed. If just opening C: then I get unspecified error 30.

** I am going to use the old build for KEX25 and will update in time. **

Edited by Goodmaneuver

18 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

They use a virtual machine, how did your 98 build go?

Today I installed KernelEx 25 on this vanilla 98SE build. It booted and no errors occurred. My checks where only with Verify.exe and Ktree so far. I also tried to install the Nvidia graphics driver, but this attempt failed. The installation of the driver on ME with this Motherboard is no problem. I could fiddle with a lot of patience or I change the board. There is no need for the RevolutionsPack without a high resolution.

I have 2 working drives that run K25 on WinME. What I found is that the VKernlEx.VXD of K18 is the culprit. Now I have a stable system with Core24a that Jumper uploaded in the KU21123.7z and all modules except VKernlEx.VXD of which I have 4.5.2, Sheet K18 registered and KexCom17 registered. Once you have a Rundll32 error occurring it is too late the Registry is corrupted. So I offline copied over the DAT files. The Rundll32 error only occurred after adding VKernlEx.VXD18 and Core.ini up date ; but I have ruled out the Core.ini as I have it running. The only thing is the nVidia software stops after updating CORE4.5.2 to Core24a. This is still a problem as a re-install of the driver does not fix it. I will try new AppSettings perhaps for RunDll32 and for NV modules.

Forgive me if I have it wrong but we have to discuss to overcome any discrepancies.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Some errors in information about nVidia

I did not try to change AppSettings and went back to CORE.ini 4.5.2 and the nVidia software returned. Remember I am running with 4.5.2 build AppSettings. The initialization routine failed after attempting to updating the driver with Core24a installed. nVidia initialization silently registers Nvcpl.dll and Nvwmdcpl.dll. It it is a runonce instruction and there might be more to the initialization as in the past just emulating the instruction did not start the software on reboot.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Info not correct again

VKernlEx.VXD K18 does run with Kexbases K25 and Core.ini 4.5.2 but I am hesitant to use it because of what it does when Core.24a is used. I am happy without the extra modes anyway. I know that Core.20.i mode NT40 does not allow installation of NT5 and above programs. This is why I had altered the description in the Core.ini to SP4. What has changed since 4.5.2 is that NotePad++Ansi 5.5 has to be kernelEx disabled and MSmoney2002 has to be set to disabled. MSIMG32 of which I am still using WinME original, was set disabled. I have a record of changes now as the new change value has decimal 81 for Disabled. 'Do not use these settings in child process' is 91 if mode is Disabled. I assume the added 128 HEX is ignored as just 1 is still working for disabled. When mode is Disabled and 'Override settings of individual modules is selected' the reg settings are 83 decimal. I do not use Override the module settings, it does not seem appropriate to do that when some system modules may need different settings and you can choose those modules not to use in child process. Can Override setting be important in certain scenarios?

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Error

On 11/26/2021 at 10:00 PM, schwups said:

Today I installed KernelEx 25 on this vanilla 98SE build. It booted and no errors occurred. My checks where only with Verify.exe and Ktree so far. I also tried to install the Nvidia graphics driver, but this attempt failed. The installation of the driver on ME with this Motherboard is no problem. I could fiddle with a lot of patience or I change the board. There is no need for the RevolutionsPack without a high resolution.

I moved to another board with 98SE support. I repeated this test and installed the Nvidia driver. The core.ini is 25g. I got a large number of messages I could klick away:

"KernelEx 2016 4.05.2016.25

LoadLibraryA_fix2 retry"

The messages don't occur, if I remove the line "KERNEL32.LoadLibraryA=kexbases.1" under [BASE.names.98] in core.ini.

I deduce "invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff6bb07" is Win ME only and has nothing to do with the Nvidia driver or apps.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:41 AM, schwups said:

I had set up a fresh vanilla ME.

I installed a fresh install of ME too but rushed KEX : - no good as just going from 4.5.2 on a totally unaltered fresh Windows install to a complete install of just KEX9 may not work either. With the good install of Kexbases25 I gradually took it up as described with just Hexbasen and Kexbases modules not VKrnlEx.vxd and not KernelEx.dll. What I would suggest is to update to IE6 and also update Oleaut32 and place Mshtml in disabled mode while on 4.5.2. Once up to Kexbase 25 it is then I registered the new Kexcom and still using 4.5.2 core.ini. You need to keep a good copy of the registry with scanregw /restore so that if a load problem occurs you can go back straight away. Otherwise you need to start again with 4.5.2 and register 4.5.2 Kexcom and Sheet again. You cannot do a system restore if the machine is stalling or not running properly. You can not registry restore in safe mode either, it needs to be an off line copy and paste unfortunately. New Sheet.dll can not be registered in safe mode but Kexcom.dll can. The KEX25 build is working real good. I am going to attempt a complete KEX install again with a new install of WinME soon and if the procedure needs altering I will have to edit this post, so keep watch for an edit.

Preliminary : -after installing IE6SP1 plus KB883939 I installed 4.5.2 simply because I did not know how to install MDIE6CU which I do now. It said it does not support your operating system :- (this message is incorrect:- I extracted it onto the C: drive and started the bat). The very first Fault Log happened was after installing MDIE6CU and with 4.5.2 and only occurred once when explorer started first time after the install. The error was KernelEx.dll caused an error in Explorer and last address in FaultLog occurred in ComDlg32.dll. There was no stalling but FaultLog had memory locations 0000000 in it and error asked Explorer to close but after clicking on close, (I delayed until fully finished runtime boot,) explorer did not close and everything seemed OK.

A scripting error comes in at Kexbases 8 and is likened to that error I described in top post on page 51 here. The registry date estimation of that post does not mean much as I have swapped around builds in the past. The error is created or not, depending on the Kex AppSettings as I tested with same rest of the registry on other builds.

The error is Object doesn't support this property or method in Sysroot.htt. I have seen this error at line 154 or 348 but always character 17 Code 0.

If I go back from kexbases 8 to Kexbases 5 it is OK. I have not any other version between 5 and 8 to test. The error is when opening the root drive of C:. I have tested Kexbases 5 with several Kexbasen versions from 4 and Kexbasen is working good up and including Kexbasen 25.

Finishing on this new installation: - I have KernelEx.dll vs 25; Kexcom vs 18 registered; Kexbasen vs 25; Kexbases vs 5; Core.ini vs 4.5.2; Sheet vs 19 registered and VKrnlEx.vxd vs 4.5.2. with this arrangement it gets to boot into explorer but is not really usable and creates Faults. If KEX is installed before IE6 then the Sysroot.htt error does not occur.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Added more info

On 11/26/2021 at 4:52 AM, Goodmaneuver said:

They use a virtual machine

I'm running it on metal, actually.

Downloaded the latest version (KU211123.7z), renamed core.25g to core.ini, replaced the files in C:\Windows\KernelEx with the new ones and the system works without issues. After adding the old stubs (I did the lazy thing and just added Kexstubs.ini in core.ini instead of manually adding the stubs to Kstub824.ini) the browsers work fine, too. Looks like the memory leak issue is fixed (or at least I haven't encountered it yet).

Haven't tried doing it on a fresh install, but I always install all the necessary drivers first and KernelEx at the very end.

Edited by tyukok

I have a new install of WinMe installed as like the one I have already working. KEX has to be installed before IE6 to avoid the error in Sysroot.htt. I copied over the KEX registry AppSettings from the working one to the new one and Kexbases25 worked. What I did with KEX was install 4.5.2 then restart into safe mode next boot and installed 5, so 4.5.2 was never running. I then installed 8, then 17 as complete installations except the VXD then KEX25 files except the VXD and Core.ini. The AppSetting replacement was done as mentioned previously. What I did notice that the FontSignature Key was not there prior to deleting. I will post the AppSettings as soon as I narrow it down and they can be tried by manually editing them in SafeMode. There will not be many changes to the original 4.5.2 settings.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Error

So far I have noticed that the %WINDIR% preceding the rest of the directory in AppSettings does not work. The original MSI settings still work but if I use %WINDIR% or other % directory variables myself then the result with KEX on that module is that it is set to default. The numbering system is showing as it should, for example DW 1 for Disabled with the new installation. The editing in SafeMode will not work. A complete merge of unaltered AppSettings in SafeMode after delete and shut down :- (takes old settings out of RAM) will need to be done. I think this is to do with the order it is in, in RAM memory. Continuing on kext-diy-kernelex-extensions topic.

Thank you for the new version and the great work !!

Unfortunately I have somewhat lost touch to 98SE in the last months and so I am stuck right now. I have installed the new version and I reach desktop but no KernelEx dependend prog starts.

First error message msvcrt.dll  ->  ntdll:RtlAreBitsClear, then after adding this to kstub824.ini  ->  ntdll:RtlAreBitsSet

I guess I have missed any other important development lately. Any ideas ?  Thx, MiKl

I tried editing the AppSettings in safe mode before and it did not work so I thought that it was necessary to do as I described but it turns out all that needs to be done is merge the working narrowed down AppSettings while in safe mode over the top of the KEX24 settings. This works with Core,ini 20 and still using VKrnlEx.vxd 4.5.2.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

21 hours ago, MiKl said:

Unfortunately I have somewhat lost touch to 98SE in the last months and so I am stuck right now. I have installed the new version and I reach desktop but no KernelEx dependend prog starts.

First error message msvcrt.dll  ->  ntdll:RtlAreBitsClear, then after adding this to kstub824.ini  ->  ntdll:RtlAreBitsSet

I guess I have missed any other important development lately. Any ideas ?  Thx, MiKl

I suppose you're the only one with RtlAreBitsClear call here. First I would try to avoid the call. Disable Kext entries which could trigger the call. Maybe it's enough to disable itself. In my opinion it's no issue of Kex25.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/ddi/wdm/nf-wdm-rtlarebitsclear

https://msfn.org/board/topic/173302-kernelex-auxiliary-dll-updates/?do=findComment&comment=1119417

Edited by schwups