KernelEx 2022 (Kex22) Test Versions (4.22.26.2)

jumper

2 hours ago, jumper said:

Please stay focused and respond with only the exact information I request.

Yes but I still would like to report new faults. I admit last post of mine was probably unnecessary but I was not sure you understood it all. Ktree11 is great. I tried Kexbases again - new one and I cannot get into Explorer now while the fault is occurring to check with an application bfa01fa2. Core.25g stops KernelEx completely and also stops network access : - it stops the device installer CmdInst.exe. So I went back to my Core.ini very similar to what I posted. Uploaded so you can compare. I reserve commenting.

CORE_1.zip

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Jumper, thanks for all your updates and work. Thanks for the fonts in Ktree11. I think I need some time to test and to look at everything.

11 hours ago, jumper said:

Do you have a debugger installed?

No

7 hours ago, jumper said:

@schwups - Are you also using Nvidia apps? If so, disable their auto-start and see if you can get to the desktop.

Only the Nvidia graphics driver.

Install FineSSE or DrWatson so you get a Debug option in crash dialogs.

I need you to identify the problem startup item. Disable all items individually or in batches until you can get to the desktop. Or disable them all, then run them manually from the desktop.

13 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

In a good load of modules, using Kexbases24, address BFA01FA2 is within KernelEx.dll with starting address BFA00000.

Did you spot my typo? The address in the stack dump we are investigating is actually BFA01F2A. If that is (hopefully) a return address, we want to know what the call was.

Run Winproc16 on any system. Select MPREXE in the process list on the left. If Kex is even partially running, you will see KernelEx.dll in the module list on the right. If not, select process PROCWIN; find and load KernelEx.dll with File>Load a Dll; move aside but do not dismiss any popups.

Double-click on Kernelex.dll for module details. In the code tab, do we see what we were hoping for?

49 minutes ago, jumper said:

Stay focused and tell me about the call.

I do not know, how can I do it? The situation is that I cannot run anything with Kexbases25 installed : - new task run gives rise to the RunDll32 error. Changing Msvcrt version places the RunDll32 Fault Log error in a different memory location and not in KernelEx.dll's memory location : - tried 2 other versions which gave rise to 2 different memory error locations.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

The situation has changed; I can start new tasks from control + alt + delete now using these modules. All 4.5.2 modules including the VXD and Core.ini plus Kexbases25, Kexbasen25, Kstub824, KexVista and KernelEx.dll vs 25. There probably will be other combinations that work but the main criteria was to be able to check out Kexbases25 of which I now can do. Explorer does not run but 3rd party applications do. Starter, Depends, Process Explorer and the like.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Updating current versions

I'm not getting any further so far. Basically I have the same problems and results and can confirm all this.

14 hours ago, jumper said:

Install FineSSE or DrWatson so you get a Debug option in crash dialogs.

I had set DrWatson to startup, I also tried to install FineSSE -version 29 16Jul2011- from "Why do some versions of Flash Player 9 work on YouTube while other ver - page 10".

"FineSSE is installed as a Just-in-time Debugger by adding these lines to WIN.INI (or the equivalent to the registry), followed by a restart:

[AeDebug]
Auto=1
Debugger=C:\Program Files\FineSSE\finesse.exe -p %u -e %u"

How can I create a DebugButton to the messages?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until now disabled startups: Stimon, Statemgr and MStask. -more to come - remaining messages Rundll32, NVSVC, Runonce, Explorer (last)

Another attempt: I set KernelEX in the registry to disabled, but also thereby the page faults on start remain.

The problem apparently does not exist on 98SE. tyukok was able to boot without problems.

Yesterday I installed 98SE for testing purposes on an old HDD. The installation of KernelEX and others like RP9 are pending here.

Progress report: mostly works if I have Explorer and Depends in follower mode and profile Explorer using my last post KEX modules. I notice the Fls functions are returning nul. Cmdninst and Runonce error but both profile OK. Right-clicking anything produces a corrupt data message.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

I had all startups disabled, renamed runonce.exe, changed shell=explorer.exe to taskman.exe in the system.ini. -no land in sight- One message remained "TASKMAN caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff6bb07. In the end there is nothing on my screen except the background image. But something changed with FineSSE installed as Just-in-time Debugger. I get no page fault messages. Rundll32 and CMD (guess command line task) appear in the taskmanager and after a while even the Explorer, too. More Rundll32 tasks appear by the attempts to open new tasks. Résumé: The Explorer runs not visible in the background only and I can't open new tasks.  What can I do with it?

Edited by schwups

@jumper Good news, I have it working. It is excellent work Jumper and 'We', who ever you are. KEX 25 had worsened an old problem I believe, or fixed it.

What made it work; I upgraded KexCom to latest.

I could not register anything so I went to Safe Mode to register KexCom and it did. See I am working on a build that had not any later version of KEX than 4.5.2. Now everything works as it was with KEX modules (see above posts of mine) but when using different mode settings the KEX registry numbering system is different, for example, disabled is 81 instead of 1. It all works though and new Core.ini and Sheet may be alright too but I am going to back up first.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
typo

I have just replaced VKrnlEx.vxd to 4.5.2 and updated Kexbases from 24 to 25 on most recent build and this does not fix the Rundll32 errors. So next step is to go back to Core.ini 4.5.2 Sheet.dll 4.5.2 and KEX registry App settings from the old build. To do this it needs to be done in safe mode : - no merging : - delete then reboot into safe mode then merge, hopefully that will work. KexVista has duplicates with Kexbases so what I did to Core.ini25 would probably be incorrect with KexVista. BTW, duplicates were in the Kstub823.ini I uploaded.

Edited by Goodmaneuver