New laptop w2000 compatible

Cixert

Hello, I want to buy a new laptop.
What laptop recommending me with compatible drivers Windows 2000 / XP?

-Reliable (long life)
-average price (up to $ 800 +/-)
-17" +/-
- S-Video port
FDD?

¡Hola Cixert!

New (I understand: recently designed) computers have no official drivers for W2k, since several years ago.

- To access the disks, you might set the host (the chipset, the southbridge...) in P-ata emulation mode, but then you lose the Ahci enhancements (essentially the reordered reads and writes) which make a big speed difference.

- Or you must have a driver for the disk host thathas been ported to W2k, notably by BlackWingCat. You have to chack what hosts hav a driver, and you must provide the driver when W2k is installed.

- A diskette you make for the F6 process brings the driver, but most new computers have no diskette reader. Alternately, you integrate the driver in the installation Cd using nLite or HfSlip, both projects hosted here on Msfn.

Then, most new chipsets or Cpu have an integrated graphics processor for which no W2k driver exists. In a desktop, you can choose a Gpu that has a driver ported for W2k (again by BlackWingCat), but on a laptop things get seriously more complicated.

The rest is less worrying. Intel provides Inf files to configure much of the chipset, and even recent Inf are officially for W2k. You may have no Usb3, no Bluetooth, such things.

All in one, recent hardware and W2k need a very careful and long choice, long trials at installation. You have real chances with a desktop, but bad chances with a laptop. If I really really needed a laptop, I'd either have a recent OS on it, or look for older hardware.

2k is to my opinion by far the best Win ever, but you should keep in mind that the antivirus programs running on it are disappearing. Even if you keep older versions of the programs, you won't get the virus definitions update any more, in a few years. Also, recent versions of Internet browsers have abandoned W2k, and older ones may fail to display some websites. So W2k will quickly become an option for offline computers only, unless

- You run it without an antivirus. Very possible if knowledgeable people run the machine.

- Your W2k is upgraded with some form KernelEx that enables recent software.

... but you should keep in mind that the antivirus programs running on it are disappearing. Even if you keep older versions of the programs, you won't get the virus definitions update any more, in a few years. 

Possibly a line needs to be drawn between "antivirus" and "antivirus with a a real time scanner", just for the record:

http://www.clamwin.com/

of course one needs to know what he/she is doing if no real-time antivirus is running.

jaclaz 

I love Ultra mobile PC. So I use the following PC on Win2000(Extended Kernel Core)

http://ec-club.panasonic.jp/mall/mylets/open/premium/j_spec.html

-price about $ 800( SSD Model about $1100)
-10.2"
-no S-Video port
-no FDD

No one is working with a laptop with windows 2000 boot?
Can you comment what your modern machine configured?

For the floppy, the solution is to connect a drive on an Usb port.

Recent laptops are not officially compatible with W2k. You have to decide between

- Old hardware with official drivers

- More recent hardware, then with modified drivers, and possibly modified W2k.

Since the chips (disk host, video...) decide what driver is available, you must check what chips have a driver, then you can choose the laptop. It does take time.

• 1 month later...