Antivirus in 2015 for vanilla W2k?

Hi.

What does it mean?

I don't use Vanilla Win 2000.

Tommy, I just tested on a vanilla W2k Pro machine (SP4 and Update Rollup, nothing unofficial) and AVG 9 installed and ran perfectly.  All the components are green, updating works fine, and I’m running a scan now.

So I suspect that there’s something in the unofficial packages that is the problem.

I've been wondering that myself, thanks for testing! Although my package is a bit old so it might be fixed in a later released but maybe BlackWingCat can look into it?

Hi.

What does it mean?

In this context “vanilla” means a standard W2k Pro OS installation running with no unofficial updates and no modifications--and we find that AVG 9 works fine.

However, when we try to use AVG 9 with unofficial updates involved, there are problems.

Here is Extended Kernel v2.6b(GameFix Version) ( It will be released soon).

I try to install AVG 9.0.

48c1ed08.png

c9836b3a.png

8f50bc6b.png

33975c52.png

It seems to work fine.

Hi.

What does it mean?

In this context “vanilla” means a standard W2k Pro OS installation running with no unofficial updates and no modifications--and we find that AVG 9 works fine.

However, when we try to use AVG 9 with unofficial updates involved, there are problems.

Edited by blackwingcat

There is no recommended setting. There's automatic, boot, demand, system, and disable. The error I receive is 0x6abbbc14 at 0x20511096 cannot be read as well at 0x77f8f281 at 0x00000010 cannot be written. I switched driver to automatic and rebooted but it defaulted back to system. It seems like avgcsrvx.exe is the issue at hand.

Edited by Tommy

Can you scan Extended Kernel DLLs on Vanilla Win2000 ?

It may be detect the ExKernel system files as heuristic Virus and crashes itself. 

There is no recommended setting. There's automatic, boot, demand, system, and disable. The error I receive is 0x6abbbc14 at 0x20511096 cannot be read as well at 0x77f8f281 at 0x00000010 cannot be written. I switched driver to automatic and rebooted but it defaulted back to system. It seems like avgcsrvx.exe is the issue at hand.

Umm....

I may be misunderstanding.

Does the problem occurs also Vanilla Windows 2000 ?

If it is not , I want you to check scan Exkernel dlls from other environment AVG 9.0.

I can't do that but maybe bluebolt can. But I do know that the resident shield is also inactive in this case as well.

Hi to run AVG Free Edition 2016 on Windows 2000 please add

avgmfapx.exe
ntdll.dll
RtlAddVectoredExceptionHandler
RtlRemoveVectoredExceptionHandler

avgntdumpx.exe
ntdll.dll
ZwResumeProcess
ZwSuspendProcess

libcef.dll
d3d9.dll, avgsysx.fmw.1.dll, avgntdumpx.exe   AVG Framework
Direct3DCreate9Ex

avgdumpx.exe
kernel32.dll
DebugSetProcessKillOnExit

AVG Drivers

avgdiskx.sys, avgidsdriverla.sys and other
ntoskrnl.exe
PsDereferenceImpersonationToken
KeAcquireSpinLockRaiseToDpc
KeReleaseSpinLock
ExReleaseFastMutex
ExAcquireFastMutex
CmRegisterCallback
CmUnRegisterCallback
ZwOpenProcessTokenEx
__C_specific_handler
IoForwardIrpSynchronously

Edited by piotrhn

Umm....

I may be misunderstanding.

Does the problem occurs also Vanilla Windows 2000 ?

If it is not , I want you to check scan Exkernel dlls from other environment AVG 9.0.

I can't do that but maybe bluebolt can. But I do know that the resident shield is also inactive in this case as well.

Bluebolt says it works just fine on vanilla, no unofficial mods applied. Unfortunately I don't have an environment that I can test this out on so I'm hoping Bluebolt will come back and give us some more answers. At this point I cannot scan anything at all so I'm thinking if bluebolt takes an extended kernel update, opens it with winzip and extracts the contents of the update, then scans it, maybe we can see what is going on with it.

Edited by Tommy

Same problem here, the AVG scanner would not initiate (whether general or file-specific).  (Also, Resident Shield shows red on the console, so apparently doesn’t work).  (The OS I tested on is tomasz86’s HFSLIP package from November 2014, and the extended kernel included there is of roughly the same vintage.) 

Then I moved to the vanilla W2k Pro machine (all official updates through EOL).  I copied BWC’s latest extended kernel file to the desktop, extracted and scanned contents with AVG 9.  No infection was found.

I don’t know what unofficial package or updates you’re using, Tommy, but maybe it’s not the extended kernel per se, but some other problem with the unofficial modifications.

EDIT:  If you know the extended kernel version you’re using, and want me to scan it using AVG 9 on vanilla W2k OS, let me know.

Edited by bluebolt

I'm using UURollup v11 daily 06-16-2013 which is the last version that works properly for one of my needs. I'm using the actual HF_SLIP as well but from November 2012 because anything later feels broken to me. I've used this build since it came out and it always worked just fine but this problem with AVG really started about a year ago. What is funny though is that this happened once before and after about a month, the problem sorta just went away. So I don't know if it's something in their code that conflicts with the unofficial updates or what the actual issue at hand is. But as far as any other unofficial updates, that's all I'm using. Although I know eventually I'm gonna have to wipe this system since it's getting extremely bogged down so I'm open to suggestion here.