Catalyst 14.12 ("Omega") on Vista

smeezekitty

I don't know about 15.7 but 15.6 worked for me. But 15.11 seems impossible to install, every time I get sth like "drivers installed but couldn't load (error 31)" and there is yellow sign in device manager

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tested the new AMD Crimson on Vista x64? I saw a NT 6.0 reference in the INF files of the Windows 7 version, so it should work, right?

Also, since they dropped NET Framework, maybe it will have less Windows dependencies and work on Vista?!?

I'll try it as soon as I get time

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose the best solution for Vista users now is to look to NVIDIA. They have much better legacy support than AMD, not to mention I've found their drivers to be much more stable. 

Not really , if you play games,the right way is update to windows 8.1/10,some games start putting windows 7 as minimum os supported (AC Rogue doesnt lauch and Advanced Warfare inicially works on vista,but after a patch, they decline vista support)

For working/editing, new drivers isnt increase a lot the performance,against update your OS (without mention dx12 are coming next year).

Windows 8 1 works a way better , 10 in couple months too 

Catalyst 15,4 Drivers are fine for the most recent games  (im playing gta 5 really smooth with those drivers, the crew and bf4 /hardline same)

Im only waiting for a decent windows vista theme for windows 10  and the first redistributable patch, to upgrade , solid colors looks terrible in my opinion.

You don't get this kind of support with Radeon, do you? http://prntscr.com/9fj0kl

And Windows 10 is just terrible in my opinion, and the taskbar is currently not themable, so it sticks out like a sore thumb if you apply a custom theme that isn't as boring as the default theme.

And Windows 10 is just terrible in my opinion

W8 and W10 are garbage to me. I am just going to keep using hacks to keep Vista and 7 usable as long as possible

Agreed. Windows 7 probably won't see many compatibility issues for a few more years, due to it being the most popular operating system and all, as long as Windows 10 doesn't take it over, with the way MS seems to be shoving it down our throats.

Out of curiosity, do you prefer Windows Vista or Windows 7? I tried to use Windows 7 for a little while, and I even heavily modified it to look and act like Vista, but it just wasn't for me. Vista tends to run snappier, and I vastly prefer the UI and shell compared to Windows 7. I also don't like how 7 removed many features from Vista, like Movie Maker, Calendar, dreamscene, etc. I know not many people used them, but I guess I'm one of the few that does. And the live versions suck, they just don't have the elegance of the built in Vista programs.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate 7, but it just felt like a watered down, feature-less version of Vista to me.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

And Windows 10 is just terrible in my opinion

W8 and W10 are garbage to me. I am just going to keep using hacks to keep Vista and 7 usable as long as possible

Agreed. Windows 7 probably won't see many compatibility issues for a few more years, due to it being the most popular operating system and all, as long as Windows 10 doesn't take it over, with the way MS seems to be shoving it down our throats.

Out of curiosity, do you prefer Windows Vista or Windows 7? I tried to use Windows 7 for a little while, and I even heavily modified it to look and act like Vista, but it just wasn't for me. Vista tends to run snappier, and I vastly prefer the UI and shell compared to Windows 7. I also don't like how 7 removed many features from Vista, like Movie Maker, Calendar, dreamscene, etc. I know not many people used them, but I guess I'm one of the few that does. And the live versions suck, they just don't have the elegance of the built in Vista programs.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate 7, but it just felt like a watered down, feature-less version of Vista to me.

Windows 7 is very popular. Although it is already 6.5 years old -- well within the realm where OSes usually start getting phased out. I have machines that run Vista and 7. I like them both.

They are very similar in UI but each has it's own nuances and features that the other doesn't. Windows 7 does have a few features that Windows Vista doesn't and visc-versa. Microsoft has

a bad habit of taking features out for no reason.

For that reason, I don't really have a strong preference. I use both on a regular basis. Currently my fastest machine runs Vista but I'll probably install 7 when the installation finally breaks down (it's starting to show signs of "bit rot" after being installed and hacked for years)

I do have Windows 8.1 on a laptop and I definitely don't like it nearly as much as Vista or 7. For one thing, I miss aeroglass and hate the flat colored title bars. I also hate that they took away the start menu.

I know they sorta brought it back on 10 but it is still chocked full of advertisements and doesn't feel like a desktop OS.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks and the fight is not over yet!

I must report on success, i was able to install beta driver 14.502.1014.0, without any catalyst nonsense.

The thing i normaly dont spent so much time tweaking , but this rather disspointment that AMD left Windows Vista users behind.

For overclocking purposes i use MSI Afterburner and quite amazing , how much faster this 14.502 version driver from AMD-Catalyst-15.4.1-Win8.1-Win7-May8 package.

I did ttest the 15.7 driver and no succes, it seems its unlikely that it will work in the future, well update to Win7 isn't option for me , but  i have option to use win7 und vista when i needed, but i still hate what AMD done to his users, even Nvidia provide much better legacy support. Overall , this year i learned the lesson, next time i not only read a review but i will try to found out any bad sides of video card.

Happy new  year!

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, MrUnknown said:

Hello ! My R9 390 will work stably with the 15.6 ??? There are tests ??? My system: motherboard ASUS M5A78L-USB3, CPU Phenom II X6 1100T and 16 GB RAM.

If you edit the INF file to have your hardware ID and to remove the block on Vista, it might work, but stability won't be great. See my post on this issue:

25 minutes ago, greenhillmaniac said:

If you edit the INF file to have your hardware ID and to remove the block on Vista, it might work, but stability won't be great. See my post on this issue:

What will be manifested instability ???

3 hours ago, MrUnknown said:

What will be manifested instability ???

Like I said in the post I linked, fades to black on UAC prompts will be slow, visual glitches, slow resolution change, and crash when trying to run WinSAT. Those are just some of of problems I encountered with an afternoon's worth of testing. I wouldn't recommend running Vista like this for anything. Who knows what else would be unstable... browsers with hardware acceleration, games...