Catalyst 14.12 ("Omega") on Vista

smeezekitty

Can someone please help me with my problem?

What is the difference between Omega and Catalyst 15.4 ? I just want to install the newest driver for my AMD Radeon HD 7850 Series.

Also, when I installed my old driver again, it talked about no signature for a kernel driver file and an audio driver file. Is that bad?

Driver installed anyway, and seems to be working for now.

I think my GPU died on me, or is dying. It crashed during a game. Whole PC did. Restart gave a bluescreen with some .sys file broken.

So I went safe-mode, and used Display Driver Uninstaller, now I can go normal start again.

Thing is, I see stripes. They are in the background, though strangely enough not on the website at all. But on the grey of the browser menu, and on my desktop, and on the menu for safe mode etc.

And on the startup screen. I fear my graphics card is dead or fried, not sure how to tell.

Should I make a system restore, or install the drivers again? Was it a mistake that I installed the driver again after installing it once already (because of the no-signature I restarted into the mode where signature is overridden) and all.

If I have to get a new Graphics Card, any recommendations? Should be Vista-Compatible. Are there any better ones out there than my HD 7850? I am not experienced with coolant, so it should be one that runs cool by itself. This one never seemed to have heat problems until now, if this is a heat related problem at all.

Here's some error logs I could dig up. (in german :x)

XDaW4Dv.png

KzntAEB.png

I made some images of my graphics card, which I opened to look if it fried up or anything. But I am not sure if it is meant to look this way or not on the inside.

Spoilered images to prevent this to be too big of a post.

h7zHqSl.jpg

HIN4bHj.jpg

cCxGJTV.jpg

KzxZJCU.jpg

Allright, this should be enough for any expert to tell me what's wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Vistadude

Can someone please help me with my problem?

What is the difference between Omega and Catalyst 15.4 ? I just want to install the newest driver for my AMD Radeon HD 7850 Series.

Also, when I installed my old driver again, it talked about no signature for a kernel driver file and an audio driver file. Is that bad?

Driver installed anyway, and seems to be working for now.

I think my GPU died on me, or is dying. It crashed during a game. Whole PC did. Restart gave a bluescreen with some .sys file broken.

So I went safe-mode, and used Display Driver Uninstaller, now I can go normal start again.

Thing is, I see stripes. They are in the background, though strangely enough not on the website at all. But on the grey of the browser menu, and on my desktop, and on the menu for safe mode etc.

And on the startup screen. I fear my graphics card is dead or fried, not sure how to tell.

Should I make a system restore, or install the drivers again? Was it a mistake that I installed the driver again after installing it once already (because of the no-signature I restarted into the mode where signature is overridden) and all.

If I have to get a new Graphics Card, any recommendations? Should be Vista-Compatible. Are there any better ones out there than my HD 7850? I am not experienced with coolant, so it should be one that runs cool by itself. This one never seemed to have heat problems until now, if this is a heat related problem at all.

Here's some error logs I could dig up. (in german :x)

XDaW4Dv.png

KzntAEB.png

I made some images of my graphics card, which I opened to look if it fried up or anything. But I am not sure if it is meant to look this way or not on the inside.

Spoilered images to prevent this to be too big of a post.

h7zHqSl.jpg

HIN4bHj.jpg

cCxGJTV.jpg

KzxZJCU.jpg

Allright, this should be enough for any expert to tell me what's wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would say your video card is most likely dying. I'm no expert but I don't think it is supposed to look like that, haha. I may be wrong.

For best Vista support, I recommend switching to Nvidia. They will be supporting Vista until April 2017 and you can most likely just modify the infs after that, too. I currently use Vista with a GTX 760, and it works extremely well. I've also found that nvidia drivers tend to be more stable than AMD ones, at least for me. Just my two cents.

I am guessing that you GPU died if you see stripes and artifacts.

15.4 is beta -- I didn't even know it was out. I have not tested it with Vista but it sounds like a hardware issue.

Don't worry about the driver signatures.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest 15.4 "beta" works great with Omega driver fix. :yes:

1bb68f4af9fb9c2f9053acfb6f1fcab0.png

Unfortunately, whenever I load up CCC, this happens

62cddcb01aed04dec93ec951aa8c8dd2.png

This is a fresh Vista install, this is the only driver that has ever run. I followed instructions correctly, but it still pops up.

However, If i don't install those DLL fixes for CCC, it runs perfectly, albeit the user32.dll error

2a08a1cf808c0cc92571867daed0a7a6.png

Edited by AnX

I'm sort of confused as to what should I do here. Let me elaborate. I tried copying those files that are supposed to go into the Core-Static folder. WITHOUT those modded files placed in, it works BUT throws an error about user32.dll.
WITH those modded files, it crashes as seen above and nothing is operable.

Do these files actually fix the user32.dll error? Or are they meant for something else?

I'm sort of confused as to what should I do here. Let me elaborate. I tried copying those files that are supposed to go into the Core-Static folder. WITHOUT those modded files placed in, it works BUT throws an error about user32.dll.

WITH those modded files, it crashes as seen above and nothing is operable.

Do these files actually fix the user32.dll error? Or are they meant for something else?

They ONLY fix powrprof.dll errors. Not user32.dll

On 14.12, the user32.dll error is annoying but harmless.

I have the powwrap.dll and i don't get anything related to powprof. So all good right? I'm using the stock catalyst control center that came with 15.4, and the 15.4 drivers which i used your custom wrappers in. Only issue comes up when i install those files that have to go into the core-static folder. Without them, everything is fine apart from the user32.dll error. Which is pretty minimal as i really never reboot the system.

Anyway, thanks for the work you put in smeezekitty, its nice seeing a vista diehard like you around.

Edited by AnX

It seems that the SetThreadErrorMode is triggered by these new Catalyst drivers.
Previously, I have not had a single error from this game. Smeezekitty, would it be possible to stub this call
in a wrapper to fix these errors? They get annoying at times.

0ffec6140312420415a08e33313a2015.png

It seems that the SetThreadErrorMode is triggered by these new Catalyst drivers.

Previously, I have not had a single error from this game. Smeezekitty, would it be possible to stub this call

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd553630%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I am guessing it is safe to stub. It doesn't look like it would honestly change much to not use the function except for what kind of message is shown when an error occurs.

Edited by smeezekitty

• 1 month later...

I've been using 7 x64 the past month or so, want to make a return back to Vista. Thing is, the Catalyst drivers would always seem to cripple Windows Explorer. Last version I used was 13.12. My view and sorting settings would change at random, as would the templates themselves. OS was almost unusable. Damage would set in within a week. Happens on every single AMD/ATI device I have in the house, I don't understand it. Last time Vista worked properly was on an old Compaq 6005 Pro, some cheap onboard video. Driver was pre 13.12. Last I remember it behaving. I've never witnessed the anomaly on anything else before. I VM Vista quite a bit to test stuff too. I also know people just fine using GTX 760's.

I'm going to be testing this Omega wrapper on my other hard drive. Really hoping to find a solution to this, bizarre, and near undocumented issue. Hate having to abandon my OS and working software over such a thing.

Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated. Using an XFX R7 240. Prior to that was a 6670. Bug persisted either way.

Update 7-28-15:

Over a week now on your 14.12 wrapper, and all is working great. Better full screen scaling in games, smoother Dreamscene, and best of all no breakage. Catalyst Control did not work at 1st, but eventually opens now after updates. I only have the one error at initial login. Thus far no further issues.

Really appreciate the efforts :)

Edited by 11ryanc

• 2 weeks later...

Its weird, i installed 15.4 with the patch  (i downloaded gta 5 and catalyst 14.9 isnt optimized for this game)

vista%20x64.jpg

as you can see at the right, i can play inkball without problems, the only error i got its the user32.dll running the crew and CCC, but its fine,if i disable CCC for startup the message error never appears again.

I tried this patch to make install 15.7,but doesnt works, appareantly,the driver installs fine,but shows two pop ups errors,and aero cannot be enable again and ccc dont startup to check the version of the drivers,so its usseless right now.

For me its ok,i dont play games wich requieres 15.7 to ran fine (i only play Counter GO, GTA 5, Hardline and sometimes CoD Black Ops 2)

i hope we can find the new fix, for those people want be ussing vista until be impossible install the newest drivers.