Beta channel

Tihiy

• 3 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

StartIsBack++ 2.0 BETA

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBackPlusPlus_setupBETA.exe

StartIsBack++ 2.0 introduces full taskbar skinning and simplified configuration UI. Changelog and more stuff pending.

rflZTZr.png

Tested on Win10 builds 14393-15019. Note that latest Insider builds are quite buggy.

This is a unfinished BETA version and may crash and burn so take care!

- Added support for full taskbar skinning
(TrayNotify::Clock, TrayNotify::Toolbar, ShowDesktop::Button, VerticalShowDesktop::Button, Taskband2Composited::TaskBand2, TaskbandExtendedUI)
- Simplified configurator UI to allow to easily select Windows 10 start menu and separate taskbar skinning
- Improved dymamic high DPI support for start menu and configurator
- Start button bitmaps were combined into .orb libraries
- Added support for opening files via drag&drop on metro app icons in start menu
- Plain10 style uses native pin/unpin glyphs
- Surfaced setting to show metro apps in All Programs list flat
- Fixed empty items in flyout menus

Edited by Tihiy

9 hours ago, Tihiy said:

StartIsBack++ 2.0 BETA

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBackPlusPlus_setupBETA.exe

StartIsBack++ 2.0 introduces full taskbar skinning and simplified configuration UI. Changelog and more stuff pending.

rflZTZr.png

Tested on Win10 builds 14393-15019. Note that latest Insider builds are quite buggy.

This is a unfinished BETA version and may crash and burn so take care!

Liking how things are going mate, task item buttons look really good but the TaskbandExtendedUI looks a bit buggy with some themes I tested, having problems with the close button being cut off, as well as borders being cut off if content margins are increased.

I would also suggest to use W8::TaskbandExtendedUI class that was present in Windows 8 so that it could be imported from a Windows 8 theme and then override the default TaskbandExtendedUI and to have an option to disable all or some of the full taskbar skinning elements so it doesn't introduce problems in unsupported themes, e.g. the "show desktop button".

I also noticed with this version that when testing a theme in Windows Style Builder it always makes the taskbar skinning go blank and you have to apply again in the SiB configuration for it to appear correctly again, there were also some UI bugs, the arrows for the start menu appearance options are not working and also the default themed start menu on custom themes wont apply unless you first select anything other then the Default Windows 10 start menu.

6 hours ago, MrGRiM said:

I would also suggest to use W8::TaskbandExtendedUI class that was present in Windows 8 so that it could be imported from a Windows 8 theme and then override the default TaskbandExtendedUI and to have an option to disable all or some of the full taskbar skinning elements so it doesn't introduce problems in unsupported themes, e.g. the "show desktop button".

Do system msstyles fly at all in RS3? I don't like kludgefest required for their support.

I don't know what will be working in RS3, I have stopped taking interest in the new builds, if the msstyles is going to become obsolete then I will probably just stick with the current build or go back to using Windows 8.1

1 hour ago, bapt said:

With this beta, I have these files in temp directory, normal ?

Capture.PNG.74a994b0d044b74e3969d937b52a0b37.PNG

Thanks

Yes, it's normal for this beta. Next beta i'll move them out of temp directory.

I don't know what will be working in RS3, I have stopped taking interest in the new builds, if the msstyles is going to become obsolete then I will probably just stick with the current build or go back to using Windows 8.1

Customatic-like solution with theme format with import from msstyles would be great solution, no? Not having to adapt styles for each new build?

I grew hatred for WSB crashing left and right.

10 hours ago, Tihiy said:

Yes, it's normal for this beta. Next beta i'll move them out of temp directory.

Customatic-like solution with theme format with import from msstyles would be great solution, no? Not having to adapt styles for each new build?

I grew hatred for WSB crashing left and right.

That would have been perfect if it had come to be, I think with your talents you could probably do a better job as well as a better editor, the original developer of WSB abandoned it long ago, one of the members has been running the site for years and has tried to keep it updated but it seems he has also given up on the project.

Great job on the taskbar!

Just wonder if the font rendering, can be fixed?
If I'm not mistaken, Windows 7 start menu used GDI and Sib on Windows 10 used the blurry DirectWrite.

6 hours ago, JFX said:

Great job on the taskbar!

Just wonder if the font rendering, can be fixed?
If I'm not mistaken, Windows 7 start menu used GDI and Sib on Windows 10 used the blurry DirectWrite.

StartIsBack does not use DirectWrite. ClearType is possible on non-translucent parts.