Internet Explorer 7 on XP SP3

ND22

For compatibility purposes I am trying to install IE7 on several machines that have windows xp sp3. All other updates except IE and WMP have already been installed. However I am unable to instal IE7; the installation fails every single time and I could not find a workaround yet; searched the net and nothing came up! Any help it's much appreciated.

That's the problem! Event viewer shows nothing related to the setup of IE7; the setup starts and aborts with the message: IE installation did not complete; please restart your system and that's it!

IE6 is the only browser installed; no other browsers were ever installed on these systems.

Edited by ND22

Redownload a fresh copy from MS and try again with the newly downloaded copy: IE7, one never knows, your installer might be defective... then again, it used to require SP2, so it may bark at SP3 or, more probably, POSReady 2009. Let's see.

Downloaded a copy from the link above. No luck! Installed XP in a virtual machine, SP2 only; IE7 installed just fine! Removed IE7 and installed SP3; afterwards installed again IE7. Installation went smooth, no problems. Must be some of the post-SP3 updates or the regfile used to transform XP in POS!

• 3 weeks later...