Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.3.1

bigmuscle

There is of course a well known way to get past that.  And you have to admit, Big Muscle deserves a nice lunch or maybe a 6 pack of good beer for his good work to restore Aero Glass, and elegance on our desktops.

-Noel

• 2 weeks later...

I own a licensed copy of AeroGlass and I downloaded a version of 1.3.1 a while back dated 12/21/2014, just downloaded a newer version of 1.3.1 dated 04/07/2015 which probably has fixes for Windows 10 I am assuming but more importantly I understand it contains a UxThemebypass?

Before I go and install this version how does it compare to say UxStyle and others? Because I can say with certainty that UxStyle is still not really stable on 8.1 and one can have problems uninstalling it sometimes, if I can use the UxThemebypass by Big Muscle without headaches I would be more than glad to ditch UxStyle.

Edited by DarkKnight

You probably know this already, given what you've written, but there's a separate download for that, and it is installed a different way than Aero Glass (it has to go in via the AppInit_DLLs registry key).

http://www.glass8.eu/download.html

One additional feature I like is that it causes the title bar text for ribbon-enabled windows to conform to the desktop theme.  In fact, since I use the stock theme and a theme atlas replacement myself, it's the only reason I run it.

With it installed you'll see a new event log entry at system startup that reads, "Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications. Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197571for more information. ".

Once it's in and working, you can replace themes with those published by others; seems pretty simple.

System integrity (e.g., via SFC) is maintained because it goes in at run-time, vs. making any changes to Windows DLLs / executables on disk.

-Noel

You probably know this already, given what you've written, but there's a separate download for that, and it is installed a different way than Aero Glass (it has to go in via the AppInit_DLLs registry key).

http://www.glass8.eu/download.html

One additional feature I like is that it causes the title bar text for ribbon-enabled windows to conform to the desktop theme.  In fact, since I use the stock theme and a theme atlas replacement myself, it's the only reason I run it.

With it installed you'll see a new event log entry at system startup that reads, "Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications. Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197571for more information. ".

Once it's in and working, you can replace themes with those published by others; seems pretty simple.

System integrity (e.g., via SFC) is maintained because it goes in at run-time, vs. making any changes to Windows DLLs / executables on disk.

-Noel

The link you posted above doesn't seem to work, when you go to the page and click the download link all I get is a page of mixed characters not the .7z file? I even tried "saving file as" ....... what gives?

UPDATE: - Never mind, had to download with Waterfox, seems IE didn't like the link for whatever reason.

Edited by DarkKnight

saving file as is correct IE has there a "little problem" (well IE is junk anyway) but just show the extensions make make it a 7z, NOT 7z.txt...

Edited by My1

by the way does it work in spartan?

IE is crap I know it as I designed my forum and had LOTS of ptoblems with IE standing in the way of my CSS especially 7 or lower at that time (it was at the time of Forefox 3.5 to 4)

saving file as is correct IE has there a "little problem" (well IE is junk anyway)

The problem has less to do with IE and more that the page is not being served with a proper mime type.  Something like application/octet-stream (I'm not sure on the specifics for 7-zip, but Google could probably turn up the right info) is needed.  The web page maintainer (that may be Big Muscle; I'm not sure) would want to update the .htaccess file (assuming Apache server) to add an AddType line to define the mime type.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

dumb question, why does it work in proper browsers then?

They are coded with different fallback strategies.  You could say that the choice of such strategy is a shortcoming of IE.  But the reason that some files download just fine with IE is that their servers provide a more accurate and proper description of the file.

A browser that takes up for sloppy web design is not necessarily more proper than one that adheres to the rules.  The latter may actually be a more secure way to work.

-Noel

• 3 weeks later...

Hello BigMuscle.

I have bought aeroGlass a long time ago. I have done last installation at 2015-02-18.

But today I have some problem, the log says:

[2015-04-24 13:38:16][0xB70:0xC84] Donation.key: invalid signature.

What happens? How I can fix that?

Edit: I generate one new key and work now. I dont know I my machine ID was changed....

Regards
Gonçalo Silva Pereira

Edited by gsilvap

Gonçalo, did you change any hardware?  I believe the machine signature comes from your hard drive info among possibly other things.  Did you plug in a different drive?

-Noel