Win 98FE on a Pentium Clarkdale G6950 / GB P55A-UD4

Canal

And KernexEx on top of an unstable install? Now, with all due respect, that's really a big mess, Alex! :D

So, let's try to start again from scratch your bare metal intallation, in case you're really, really, really, sure you want to do it.

And if so, consider you'll almost certainly need at least some of RLoew's patches, which ain't free.

While you decide, tell me one more thing: which motherboard is it, exactly, and which processor is installed on it?

@dencorso: It's explain in my first post (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/118097-day-to-day-running-win-9xme-with-more-than-1-gib-ram/page-6#entry1088600)

Gigabyte P55A-UD4 with Pentium G6950 @ 2,8GHz (tiny proc but paired for Windows 98 :D)

@Rloew: OK.

I think, I will do a pause as for the moment I'm pretty happy with all that. I can run the software I would from IDE startup and so not from VMware Player.

I could already do that in safe-mode which was enough for me but it's now better out of safe-mode.

@dencorso again: I can't say it's unstable as nothing crash. MS-DOS works. 4DOS works. My application works. No errors messages. Seems to be stable ...

But in 640x480 (VGA) I haven't spent a lot of time like that !

My next step is to find all the drivers I need and except for serial and parallel it doesn't seems to be an easy thing ...

Alex.

About the drivers:

- Onboard Audio is impossible, as it's HD Audio.

- LAN - try the NDIS2 driver here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

- GPU - VBEMP - http://www.navozhdeniye.narod.ru/vbe9x.htm - universal GPU driver for all GPU's that has only basic support, however brakes DOS window sessions, it's up to you if you want 32 bit colors, or DOS windows.

Edited by MrMateczko

@MrMateczko :

I've just tried VBEMP as ATI/Radeon do not deliver Win98 drivers' anymore for my relatively new videocard (seems natural in fact :D).

By "it breaks DOS window" do you mean it's why I got a black screen when opening a new DOS-box like COMMAND.COM or 4DOS ...?

I just type Alt+Enter twice and everything returns okay ... Not unstable really but don't work correctly ... But I got 1600x1200 4/3 (out of 1920x1200 16/10e I could normally have) and it's fine like that !

Also, works :

FDD (yes old Floppy Disk Drive 3"1/2) works fine !

COM1 (inboard 16550 serial port for mice) works fine also !

LPT1 (inboard LPT for parallel printer) works fine and printer well recognized by Win98 as before - whou !

Of course, I have no LAN, no USB, no sound and worst no CD-Drive burner (IDE/SATA) for the moment ... but the necessary is there: VGA and GPU in 1400x1050 is enough for what I needed...

Thanks again to everybody for your help and your messages !

Also, perhaps you have heard this news recently: someone do run Windows 98 on a iPhone 6 ... if this not off-topic of course ... :thumbup

Alex (Paris).

I used VBEMP for a while on my Windows 98 installation, again as there were no 98 drivers for the AMD HD range card I was using.

I also found that anything that opened a DOS command prompt box ("attrib" for instance) produced a blank screen, apparently because it was crashing to a resolution setting that my monitor couldn't display properly.

Strangely, full screen DOS "boxes" seemed to work OK, it was just windowed ones that didn't!

I also found that the very slow updating when moving windows or scrolling was very annoying.

I had to hack the VGA mode table on the card to get 1920x1080 for my widescreen monitor, which worked fine but only on the DVI output, not on the VGA output, where it was slightly zoomed in with broken up text rendering.

I eventually changed the card for a Radeon X850, which there are Windows 98 drivers for.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm back again ... just for a short time I think.

So for the moment everything goes right ... Win98 boots and works well on my most recent PC with VGA in 1600x1200 32bits. I can run applications I want. Everything works.

[LAN :]

@MrMateczko : I've search for a Win98FE driver for my Realtek ... and yes the Windows 98 one is for Win98SE only. Even with KernelEx (sorry for that :-D). So, I will be stuck with the DOS NDIS2 driver instead which is not a good news... Of course, I can also use a simple Ne*2000 PCI card with Win98 drivers I already have for this cheap card ...

[uSB :]

Don't know if I could get something working (not only USB Mass Storage driver but whole USB drivers) as without the CD-Burner Drive I can't access my Win98 disc with much facilities. So, here's a bigger problem :

[sATA :]

I notice file write access to my hard drive is conflicting with Windows 8 which run something like a scandisk or chkdsk when rebooting. Sometimes, I can't access files I've modified from Win98 (C:) in Win8 (C: seen as D:). I got some errors messages...

It's not really instable as everything revert ok after scandisk but it's embarrassing a little ...

@rloew : So, just to go a bit further: Do you think your $$ SATA Patch $$ could help ? As I'm still using Win98 with ESDI_506.PDR renamed. No CD-Burner seen. And as I've already said Win98 find : 5 dual channel PCI controllers and 10 fifo (2x 5) primary and secondary are invalid (yellow explanation mark in system's peripherals).

My system has: SATA 3Gb and SATA 6Gb for a total of 13 disks maximum but only 5 dual channel and 10 fifos ???

Adresses and IRQs of all that doesn't seems to correspond to the two traditional IDE controllers IRQ 14/15 we used to have in 98 ...

Note: Under Windows 8 I get the same configuration (5x PCI, 10x Fifo) but without the yellow explanation mark - So no errors, it works and my IDE HDD/CDD are well recognized (of course!). SATA disks also !

[sound :]

Not a priority for me. But a simple Sound Blaster PCI card with it's own drivers wish to works fine... I'm sure.

My principal goal now is to get CD-Drive working.

Alex.

OK dencorso nice place to work here !

[iDE (ex-SATA) :]

So, I've gone a little further with no result for the moment ... But, I understood why there is 5 PCI dual-channel IDE controller and 10 (2x 5) fifos primary and secondary - all yellow marked. Yellow explanation marks are due to ESDI_506.PDR renamed as ESDIx506.PDR ... simple and quite normal finally.

Details :

Two PCI dual-channel are for SATA (for a maximum of 6 disks). [ Now both 2 removed in W98. ]

One PCI dual-channel is for true (or seem true) IDE (for a maximum of 2 disks). [ Only one left unchanged in W98. ]

One PCI dual-channel is for GSATA (for a maximum of 3 disks). [ Now disable in BIOS. ]

One PCI dual-channel is for eSATA (for a maximum of 2 disks). [ Now disable in BIOS. ]

In the BIOS, I disable GSATA and eSATA ... and in Win98 I remove SATA ones.

Even with only 1 PCI dual-channel for IDE with ESDI_506.PDR not renamed (configured by default as IRQ 10 and not 14 or 15): it hangs !

It's like IT iTE8213 doesn't act exactly as an old IDE controller or perhaps PCI (in fact it is onboard not a PCI card) do something wrong in that case ...

Clue: I've found a iTE8212 (not exactly a iTE8213) driver for Windows 98 here :

http://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/sets/ITE-IT8212F_Drivers/ITE_IT8212F.zip

http://fr.startech.com/en/Cards-Adapters/HDD-Controllers/IDE/2-Port-PCI-ATA-133-IDE-Adapter-Card~PCIIDE2

Using that driver for hard drive not specifically done for my hardware is a bit risky ... But why not give it a try !

Note: Like that, there is no SATA disks and/or SATA controllers. SATA controller seems to be revert as simple IDE controller in BIOS.

Alex.

The original ESDI_506.PDR requires a Dual Channel Controller to be configured to use Interrupts 14 and 15 in most cases.

Also some BIOSes hang the Drive Identification routine. My Patch is needed in either case.