WinPE & WinXP Unattended w/ Recovery Console

glitterglue

Ok, I must admit, I've learned an awful lot reviewing these forums, however, I've got one sticky point that I haven't been able to get by.

This is what I am able to do:

1. Install WinXP via unattended CD boot along with the Recovery Console. This involves adding my LSI Logic MSD files to the \i386 directory and editing DOSNET.INF & TXTSETUP.SIF with these lines:

2. DOSNET.INF - with LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Adapter settings

[Files] <-- These files are in the .\i386 directory on the CD

d1,symmpi.sys

d1,symmpi.inf

d1,mpixp32.cat

[CmdConsFiles] <-- These files will get copied for the recovery console

symmpi.sys

symmpi.inf

mpixp32.cat

3. TXTSETUP.SIF - with LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Adapter settings

[sourceDisksFiles]

symmpi.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

"PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0621" = "symmpi"

"PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0030" = "symmpi"

[sCSI.Load]

symmpi = symmpi.sys,4

[sCSI]

symmpi = "LSI Logic Ultra320 1020/1030 Driver (XP 32-bit)"

Using this method, I do not need to include the OEMBootFiles & MSD lines in my winnt.sif boot file.

In my [GUIRunOnce] I have the "winn32 /cmdcons /dudisable /unattend" command to install the Recovery Console - works great!!

Now - The "Problem"

When I use the previously stated method using WinPE to do a network boot & unattended install - per the "poor man's ris" posting - the unattended install tells me that symmpi.sys (it's in all the right directories) is missing during the initial text setup portion of WinXP.

If I comment out the TXTSETUP.SIF entries for my MSD and add back the $OEM$\TEXTMODE directory along with the [MSD] (etc.) entries in my unattended.txt file, then things work great, but the Recovery Console doesn't install with the MSD files.

Instead, I must install the Recovery Console, then hand edit C:\cmdcons\TXTSETUP.SIF and uncomment the LSI MSD entries.

So, how can I make the WinXP via WinPE network unattended installation work AND install the Recovery Console with the proper MSD's?

Hope I haven't been too confusing.. TIA

So, does anyone have any thoughts on this one ???

• 2 weeks later...

Surely there's at least one person on these forums that knows how to get the RC to work AND do a network WinXP unattended installation while bypassing the F6 prompt & integrating those drivers for both WinXP & the RC when booting from a WinPE CD ??

I have a work-around, but that defeats the purpose of an unattended installation..

TIA.