Intel Ethernet Connection Driver for Windows 98SE

Dave-H

@Dave-H: Yet, something must be wrong, since it's not working...

Maybe you should try to get, say, ftp, working in plain DOS, just for us to know how it's done in plain DOS, and then move on to get windows recognize the DOS setup?

Well. I did use the Microsoft Networking in plain DOS, before. While using 16bit DOS drivers it was possible to boot just to the DOS, run the net start, and there was the DOS networking without the GUI. It worked with Windows 95, as far as I remember.

I tried running NET START from the DOS prompt, and tried Drugwash's suggestion of sending the output to a file.

It worked, the file said that the driver was installed correctly.

I then tried installing again in Windows, and before rebooting added >net.log to the NET START command in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

On restart, the result was the same as before, but the generated net.log had the following content -

Error loading device driver E1000.DOS.Error 7308: The driver file could not be found. The driver file may not be installed on your computer or it is not located in the folder specified in the registry. To delete the driver and then add it again, double-click the Network icon in Control Panel. For more information, type NET HELP 7308 at the command prompt.E1000.DOS was not loaded.Error 7321: Network-card drivers failed to load.

So, interesting!

I haven't had a chance to look at that help option yet.

I wonder where it was expecting E1000.DOS to be?

:)

And this is mine -

; OEMSETUP.INF for Intel(R) Gigabit Connection Driver 6.09[netcard]E1000$="Intel(R) Gigabit Network Connection",0,NDIS,Ethernet,REAL,E1000,E1000_ini[E1000]devdir=1:E1000.dosdevice=E1000.DOS,@devdir\E1000.DOS[E1000_ini]DriverName=E1000$

Just a longshot: try substituting "1:E1000.dos" in "devdir=1:E1000.dos" by the actual path to E1000.DOS... :unsure:

I'd already tried manually putting E1000.DOS into a folder and then modifying the path accordingly, but it made no difference.

I'll try again putting the path to the source folder this time rather than the destination folder.

OK, moved on a bit!

I found the E1000.DOS entry in the registry, which didn't actually specify a path.

I put E1000.DOS into the System32\Drivers folder and added the path to the registry entry.

My net.log is now giving me -

Intel(R) Gigabit Network Connection Driver v6.09 031414Copyright 2000-2010, Intel Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.Multiple network interface connections found in slots:0x0500 0x0501                                                         Slot not specified for driver instance 1.Loading on PCI device VEN_8086&DEV_1096&SUBSYS_109615D9&REV_01 in slot 0x0500Media: CopperPermanent MAC Address: 00304879F909  Current MAC Address: 00304879F909  Invalid value for binding specified  Invalid value for binding specifiedError loading device driver NDISHLP.SYS.Error 7323: One or more network transport drivers failed to load.

So, getting there perhaps!

I didn't think I'd have to worry about slot numbers as my other network card is not Intel, but perhaps I do!

Out for the day now, but will have another go this evening.

It sure seems you're getting somewhere, now. :yes:

And maybe by selecting just slot 0x0500 it may finally start working...

Or is it recognising as slots 0x0500 and 0x0501 the two interfaces in your "Intel (ESB2/Gilgal) 82563EB Dual-Port Gigabit Ethernet Controller," and simply ignoring the non-Intel network card? If that's the case you'd maybe have to load two driver instances, perchance?  dubbio.gif

I've now tried specifying the options in PROTOCOL.INI, copying the lines from the Intel supplied file.

I've specified the slot, the connection speed, and over-ridden the burned in MAC address to the default one they suggest.

The only line I didn't add was -

CACHEFLUSH = 1 ; set this if doing an unattended installation of; Windows NT 4.0 using this driver to make the initial; connection

This didn't seem to be relevant.

I'm now getting -

Intel(R) Gigabit Network Connection Driver v6.09 031414Copyright 2000-2010, Intel Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.Multiple network interface connections found in slots:0x0500 0x0501                                                         Specified slot invalid for driver instance 1.Loading on PCI device VEN_8086&DEV_1096&SUBSYS_109615D9&REV_01 in slot 0x0500Media: Copper     Forced Speed/Duplex: 100 Mbps Full DuplexPermanent MAC Address: 00304879F909  Current MAC Address: 00D00C123456  Invalid value for binding specified  Invalid value for binding specifiedError loading device driver NDISHLP.SYS.Error 7323: One or more network transport drivers failed to load.

So it looks as if the PROTOCOL.INI changes are being seen and implemented.

Still not working though!

:no:

Not sure about "Specified slot invalid for driver instance 1."

I've specified slot 5, which is what it seems to be using anyway as the default.

The two slots mentioned, 0x0500 and 0x0501, are probably the two on-board connections rather than one being my add-in PCI network card.

How it's seeing them both when the second one is physically disabled by using a jumper on the motherboard I'm not quite sure!

I think the only way of knowing for sure is to open up the machine again and physically remove the plug-in card.

It looks like you have some problems with bindings in the PROTOCOL.INI file.

Here is mine for the reference.

[ndishlp$]DriverName=ndishlp$Bindings=ATL2$[protman$]DriverName=protman$priority=ndishlp$[data]version=v4.10.2222netcards=ATL2$,ATHEROSL2[NETBEUI$]sessions=10ncbs=12DriverName=NETBEUI$Lanabase=6Bindings=ATL2$[ATL2$]DriverName=ATL2$

Ahem...

You *did* read this, right?

ftp://ftp.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/pub/mirror/supermicro/driver/LAN/Intel/PRO_v10.4/PRO1000/DOCS/DOS-ODI/driv_dos.htm

And it *seems* that the INF you initially used is giving only one instance of a Driver. *Theoretically* you should have *two* NIC definitions, not just one ( pay attention to the Driver specifications correlation to the Protocol.INI :unsure: ). Also note that you simply have an *update* to what is given in that link! All of the rest still applies. ;)

@farfigs11

Thanks, but that e1000nt5.sys driver is part of the Windows driver, which doesn't work with this hardware under Windows 98.

@submix8c

Yes, I did read that, but I probably didn't understand it well enough!

The default settings did look as if they would be OK anyway, but perhaps they're not.

(shrugs...)

I have inklings...

I also have this old Netserver with -3- HP EN1207D NICS ("Accton") + the built-in HP NIC but haven't tried installing anything but XP on it so far. They *appear* to not be automagically found (AFAICR). I suppose I could fiddle with it to see if there's something "special" about it. Note that there's no OEMSETUP for the LANMAN-DOS drivers that I could "test" with. *HOWEVER* this is the WFW311 one.

;EN5030(8) OEMSETUP.INF File:[netcard]EN5030="Accton EN1207D Series Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter",000,ndis,ethernet,0x07,en5030,en5030_nif[disks]1=..\Win95sr2\,"Accton EN1207D, EN1207D Series PCI Ethernet Adapter Driver Disk", disk12=..\Win95sr2\,"Accton EN1207D, EN1207D Series PCI Ethernet Adapter Driver Disk", disk1[en5030]ndis2=1:accnd.dosndis3=*:ACCND.386mlid=2:accodi.com[en5030_nif]drivername=ACCND$param=Medium,"Medium Type",enum,"Auto,0,10Half,1,10Full,2,100Half,3,100Full,4",0,0x30param=NETADDRESS,"Network Address",chars,13,"@000000000000",0x02param=ETHERID,"Node Address",chars,13,"@000000000000",0x02param=BusNo ,"Adpater's Bus Number",int,"0,255,1",0,0x32param=DeviceNo ,"Adpater's Device Number",int,"0,31,1",0,0x32param=TxFIFO ,"Adpater's TX Early Threshold",int,"0,63,1",5,0x32
(somebody screwed up the descriptives, apparently)

Notice the NDIS2/NDIS3 entries? the NDIS3 points to that folder, the NDIS2, I have no clue...

Here is the OEMSETUP found in the "NDIS\DOS" folder (along with a NIF file?)

;Accton EN1207D Series OEMSETUP.INF File:[netcard]EN5030="Accton EN1207D Series PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter",000,ndis,ethernet,real,en5030,en5030_nif[en5030]devdir=?:accnd.dosdevice=accnd.dos,@devdir\accnd.dos[en5030_nif]drivername=accnd$param=Medium,"Medium type ",text,"_Auto,_10Half,_10Full,_100half,_100Full",_Auto,0x30param=NETADDRESS,"Network Address",chars,13,"@000000000000",0x02param=ETHERID,"Node Address",chars,13,"@000000000000",0x02param=Adapter,"Adpater Number",int,"1,256,1",0,0x32param=TxFiFo ,"Adpater's TX Early Threshold",int,"0,63,1",5,0x32
Note the difference between the WFW and the DOS one. Also comprae to the DOC link I gave previously.

There has to be a way. We *are* extremely stubborn old fellers. ;)

Note: Thinking that the PROTOCOL.INI has to be modified to account for multiple/dual NIC (driver specified for each "slot"). :unsure:

I've now modified the PROTOCOL.INI file to look like the one Sfor provided.

I got rid of all the customisations -

[ndishlp$]DriverName=ndishlp$Bindings=E1000$[protman$]DriverName=protman$priority=ndishlp$[data]version=v4.10.2222netcards=E1000$[E1000$]DriverName=E1000$

and my NET START log now says -

Intel(R) Gigabit Network Connection Driver v6.09 031414Copyright 2000-2010, Intel Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.Multiple network interface connections found in slots:0x0500 0x0501                                                         Slot not specified for driver instance 1.Loading on PCI device VEN_8086&DEV_1096&SUBSYS_109615D9&REV_01 in slot 0x0500Media: CopperPermanent MAC Address: 00304879F909  Current MAC Address: 00304879F909The command was completed successfully.

So that's good!

If I plug my router into the port, the lights now come on indicating that the port is "live" and I get a green light on the router, which is also good.

However, I still have no actual internet connection in Windows.

The card still says it has no drivers loaded in Device Manager, although it goes say it's "working properly".

It does not appear in the list on the network applet though.

Wow! I think you've made a lot of progress! :yes:
I think you now will have to create by hand a binding to the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)...
Now is the time to dig deeper into those sites that don't exist anymore! :)
Try this one <link> and prepare to plunge head on into the wayback machine...