KB3000850 - BIG update - Windows 8.1.2?

NoelC

I have two Windows 8.1 Pro installations, one 32 bit and the other 64 bit, and I cannot get this update to install on either machine.

It downloads OK, and then spends ages apparently installing, then fails with error 80070002.

make sure those 2 folders are present:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessibility C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools

Thanks MagicAndre1981, it sounds like you could well be on the right track here, as I have highly customised Start Menus on both machines. I have Classic Start Menu installed, and I don't know if that might be a factor.

I've tried re-creating the folders you mention, although there seems to be a bit of confusion in the system as to whether the folder is called "Accessories" or "Windows Accessories". The names seem to be interchangeable and when you re-name using one name, sometimes you actually get the other!

Unfortunately I've tried twice more with the folders re-added, and it's still failing.

It's taking a lot longer than before, with much disk activity, and I was really hopeful, but at the end it's still showing "failed" with the same error number.

:no:

Do you have a list of all the system default Start Menu folders anywhere?

I couldn't find one on-line.

I think if I can restore them all to as they were "out of the box" this might fix it.

Not just the system ones, but the user ones too.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that just temporarily uninstalling Classic Start Menu won't put the menus back to their defaults, as it actually edits the contents of the folders.

Cheers,

Dave.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

Maybe the "no restart", "no shutdown", "no settings" are features? I suggest: "Always on! Never worry about settings again!"

How many folks besides those of us in the industry thought that this ridiculous concept of releasing things on a much shorter schedule (i.e., a new version of Windows yearly with minor updates every few months) - adopted not only by Microsoft but also by Adobe and probably others - was a %*#$&^ horrible idea?  That may well be the root of the problem with the current Model.

Maybe this sheds some light: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/08/how-microsoft-dragged-its-development-practices-into-the-21st-century/

Like a few annoying web design conventions of the recent years (and heavy AJAX everywhere), some random bad ideas start small then become fads.

Do you have a list of all the system default Start Menu folders anywhere?

I couldn't find one on-line.

I think if I can restore them all to as they were "out of the box" this might fix it.

Try the SFC and DISM commands Noel suggested above.

I ran into a very similar error code with an update a few months ago. Turned out to be some Start Menu directory missing. Apparently the Start Menu is considered now "system files" and Microsoft's stupid updates expect to find certain things there or else they fail with cryptic error codes.

Edited by shae

Interestingly, all updates installed with no problems on my Windows 8 and 8.1 Pro 64 bit until KB3000850.  The update installed on my laptop, with the same Windows OS, with no issues at all.  On my desktop, it stated could not install and proceeded to uninstall the update.  The notice that is could not be installed came during the restart after first attempting to update.  The system got to 8% updated, restarted and then upon restart with the second updating that usually starts with 30% installed, quickly stopped and noted could not be installed.  Then the system uninstalled it.

However, the update history notes it has been successfully installed twice.

What exactly is the status of this update on my system?  Has it actually been installed?  Is some type of log or file corrupt?  Any help appreciated.

I have the same symptoms as lkeller100 ie update gets to 8% reboots twice fails and backs out the update.

Originally had Avast Free installed and the update failed. Removed Avast and used avastclear just to make sure it was gone..Ran update again with exactly same results gets to 8% reboots twice and backs out the update.

Avast then released their patch yesterday so I've now reinstalled Avast and the patch has been applied. Then tried to install this KB300850 twice more today with the same end result it gets to 8% reboots twice, fails with no error message and just backs itself out.

Having tried to run this update multiple times from both Windows Update and the standalone installer I've now got 1 x Failed showing as Optional, and 4 x Succeeded showing as Optional plus 2 x Succeeded showing as Important in Update History but nothing at all showing in Installed Updates for it.

Here's a link to my CBS folder (hope it works) https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=77AB10EE24AB37C5%211073

if anybody is skilled in black art of interpreting this gobbledygook can throw any light on what the problem may be I would be most grateful.

@ youravinalarrrf

your issue looks related to:

wiaek002.inf
0x80070003 - ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND

you could see this file for details:

windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log

if this path or the inf file in it is missing, you need to copy it from another source (like install.wim of your Win8.1 iso)

\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wiaek002.inf_amd64_57f9361b96ceea4b

@ abbodi1406

Many thanks for looking.

wiaek002.inf was in windows/inf but the folder wiaek002.inf_amd64_57f9361b96ceea4b wasn't in \Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wiaek002.inf_amd64_57f9361b96ceea4b

I recreated the folder and copied the file into it and ran the update again this time it managed to get to 9% (woohoo! progress) before it rebooted twice failed and backed out the update.

(That missing folder/file relates to a Kodak ESP C110 printer and associated Kodak software & drivers that I removed & uninstalled from the system a couple of weeks ago.)

Here's a link to the CBS2 folder after this update attempt https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=77AB10EE24AB37C5%211074 if you wouldn't mind having another look.

I tried SFC /scannow which seemed to repair the Start Menu folders.

Tried the update install again, and again it failed, but with a different error this time 80070476.

Then tried the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command, which also failed and said it had made no changes.

Tried a second time with the same result.

It returned error 80240021, which seems to be something to do with an operation timing out.

Error 80070476 appears to be ERROR_TOO_MANY_LINKS ("An attempt was made to create more links on a file than the file system supports.")

What's all that about?

I've uploaded the logs to Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztsyoaydtqs0qn9/CBS.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pp4vklco3b3pm9k/DISM.log?dl=0

For what it's worth I was trying to use DISM a little while ago on a Win 10 system (which honestly I don't know if even makes sense, but if the servicing database is corrupted I figured I'll try).  I was seeing timeouts.

It's possible Microsoft's servers aren't working properly or are overwhelmed.  They're not running a tight ship over there.

-Noel

Error 80070476 appears to be ERROR_TOO_MANY_LINKS ("An attempt was made to create more links on a file than the file system supports.")

What's all that about?

That could be hard links :ph34r::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_link#Limitations_of_hard_links

exceeding 1023 :w00t: on NTFS.

Try checking the filesystem with ln --enum:

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/ln/ln.html

or similar.

jaclaz

I've run both sfc /scannow and the dism commands previously. sfc /scannow finds no corruption and dism always says repaired component store and completes successfully. Anyway just run dism says repaired component store and completed successfully

prnekcl2.inf also relates to the same Kodak printer mentioned in the first error message.

I'm just going to have a look at that now although not sure what folder I'm looking for to recreate?

Think I sorted the prnekcl2.inf folder problem and ran the update again. Same result gets to 9% before it reboots twice fails and backs out the update.

This is a link to the latest CBS3 file https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=77AB10EE24AB37C5%211075 if someone wouldn't mind having yet another look at it.

Edited by youravinalarrrf