Windows/Microsoft Update Not Working on Windows 2000/XP/2003

MrMaguire

Before doing anything more complex try replacing just muweb.dll by version 7.6.7600.256.

Of course, to do it manually, you'll have to boot from either a LiveLinux distro or a Windows PE CD.

It's usually enough. Make sure to let us know what happened, OK?

If "Automatic Updates disabled" these are set to "Notify me but do not automatically download or install". If the notification icon for updates on the taskbar appears then should the Internet Explorer from "Windows Update" or "Microsoft Update" function again. Then you can turn off Automatic Updates again.

:)

If "Automatic Updates disabled" these are set to "Notify me but do not automatically download or install". If the notification icon for updates on the taskbar appears then should the Internet Explorer from "Windows Update" or "Microsoft Update" function again. Then you can turn off Automatic Updates again.

I understand this is how it /should/ be - unfortunately, here, the notification icon does appear

on the taskbar (when applicable) but still no joy trying to go to the update web sites :-(

Before doing anything more complex try replacing just muweb.dll by version 7.6.7600.256.

Of course, to do it manually, you'll have to boot from either a LiveLinux distro or a Windows PE CD.

It's usually enough. Make sure to let us know what happened, OK?

I use FAT32 and have system file protection shut down, so switching system DLLs is real easy -

unfortunately it makes zero difference whether I use either version of muweb.dll (duly regsvr32'ed) !

Any attempt at accessing the update site in Internet Explorer redirects to the error page.

Oh well ! I'll leave it alone rather than break things again, since the onboard update applet it is now offering essential downloads for this system ! ... Who knows, it might even happen that the web version repairs itself as a side effect of some future update :=)

Thank you, and also Submix8c !

@Dave-H : I don't quite like the threat of « After the Windows Update Troubleshooter is complete, your previous Windows Update history may be deleted ». 

I understand the WU history in question is stored locally on my computer. Would its deletion prevent subsequent removal of older
updates that might be necessary in the future, however implausible ?

Yes, the Windows Update page will lose its list of updates that you installed in the past, but they should all still appear in Add/Remove Programs so you can still uninstall them, if they can be uninstalled of course, some can't.

You will need to have the "show updates" option checked there of course.

Edited by Dave-H

Ran the MS Fix-it! tool. It reported all green, having fixed everything it found. However : this has changed /nothing/ :=) Internet explorer 8 can't go to MU/WU web sites, redirects to the same error page 2497281 as always... whether I try to go to the site directly from the browser, or using the link in the updates control panel applet. Giving up !

{Edit} It's OK, fixed now, see second post under this one.

Edited by Ninho

Let me start with great news : everything's fixed; now !

The last problem which remained could be classified "PEBKAC", I suppose :

I had recently updated SRP (software restrictions policies) so Internet Explorer was

forced to drop rights even under my administrative account - this was preventing

the MS Update site from loading and causing the perpetual redirection, although giving no hint

of the true cause.

Seems I'm getting too old to remember what I did just a few weeks ago...

In my defence I'm also playing with setting up Seven in a VM at the moment,

it does get confusing at times.

Did you replace the dll?

The automatic fixit has restored the latest version (.257). Since it is now working, I'm leaving as is ...

Interesting that it is working with the new version of the dll.

It does, or I haven't triggered the conditions for it to fail yet ;=)

If it doesn't bother you to recall, what is / was the symptom which

made people switch back to the older dll version ?

{edit:}

Read the thread so nothing will get repeated, Ninho. The whole ugly scenario ...

Oh, never mind then, I'll have a fresh look thru the thread again.

I have the previous dll version saved just in case smth would break again, anyway.

Edited by Ninho

• 1 month later...

MU website is broken again after installing MS15-106 for IE. I Uninstalled it and the problem went away. Anyone else?

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3093983)

Edit: It's not the update. Tried MU again and it's no longer working.
Edited by click-click

I had no issues with the latest Windows XP updates.  The web site was working correctly and installed 5 updates:

2 for office 2007

1 cummulative update for IE 8

1 security update for POS ready

1 malicious software for October

Everything working perfectly..............