New API Needed For Windows 2000

winforever

This Post is for BlackWingCat, or anyone that can help...

So i use Windows 2000 everyday for one program. Paltalk Messenger.

i talk to all my friends on paltalk,and i have a chatroom also.

So i finely installed Windows2k on my main PC,installed Extended Kernel like always.

Well, the new Paltalk Build no longer workes with Extended Kernel ! when ran is says...

The procedure entry point CheckNameLegalDOS8Dot3W could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

As you can see,the new paltalk will not work even with BlackWingCats Kernel.

I have Windows 2000 installed on alother PC now useing Paltalk. But Paltalk will soon force users to upgrade to the new version.so when that happends,i will no longer be able to use paltalk.

Like i said,i use paltalk everyday.So i will have no choice but to Install XP.and leave windows 2000 forever.but i dont want to do that.

Anyway BlackWingCat, can you add the API to Kernel32.dll ?

You can download Paltalk at Paltalk.com

Thanks for all your work with Windows 2000! Its a good OS,i would hate to stop useing it.

Screenshot of the error upon paltalk startup....

Edit: Ok for some reason its not uploading my screenshot.

Edited by winforever

The Unofficial rollup is no longer maintained (and it was not made by Blackwingcat).

Why do you think UURollup is no longer maintained?

I may be slow at updating it :( but I've never said anything about stopping maintenance.

The CheckNameLegalDOS8Dot3 doesn't seem to be included in the newest version of BWC kernel32.dll either (which is integrated into the newest daily release of UURollup-v11).

The Unofficial rollup is no longer maintained (and it was not made by Blackwingcat).

Why do you think UURollup is no longer maintained?

I may be slow at updating it :( but I've never said anything about stopping maintenance.

The CheckNameLegalDOS8Dot3 doesn't seem to be included in the newest version of BWC kernel32.dll either (which is integrated into the newest daily release of UURollup-v11).

I see,well thats  unfortunate. well then i have no choice to upgrade.sad it seems M$ is been trying to get rid of 2000 even before 2010.maybe because it dont have WPA. oh well ,Thanks for your work Tomasz86 and thaks to Blackwingcat.

I will keep checking back at theses forums in case more API''s are added.Maybe someone will get Paltalk runing on 2K.

Take care

Hi.

I try to install paltalk messenger 11.4 setup 559.

But it seems not to use CheckNameLegalDOS8Dot3 function, and to work without problem.

I found version 11.5 setup 575.

So I released Extended kernel v2.4d7.

Edited by blackwingcat

I see,well thats  unfortunate. well then i have no choice to upgrade.sad it seems M$ is been trying to get rid of 2000 even before 2010.maybe because it dont have WPA. 

Few things I hate more than attempting to defend the good M$ guys, but I fail to see how they (or their policies) can be held responsible for (or connected to) the paltalk developers using in their code (knowingly or unknowingly) a dll function that is not present in Windows 2000 (and AFAICU not one of those "essential" or even "needed" ones).

Since you are a paltalk user you could tell them how they broke Windows 2000 compatibility and how much this (BTW senseless) move affected you.

jaclaz

Hi.

I try to install paltalk messenger 11.4 setup 559.

But it seems not to use CheckNameLegalDOS8Dot3 function, and to work without problem.

I found version 11.5 setup 575.

So I released Extended kernel v2.4d7.

Thank You,Thank You,Thank You, Blackwingcat ! :) Works Great.

I just hope they dont add another API next time they update.

Thanks Agian. :)

I see,well thats  unfortunate. well then i have no choice to upgrade.sad it seems M$ is been trying to get rid of 2000 even before 2010.maybe because it dont have WPA. 

Few things I hate more than attempting to defend the good M$ guys, but I fail to see how they (or their policies) can be held responsible for (or connected to) the paltalk developers using in their code (knowingly or unknowingly) a dll function that is not present in Windows 2000 (and AFAICU not one of those "essential" or even "needed" ones).

Since you are a paltalk user you could tell them how they broke Windows 2000 compatibility and how much this (BTW senseless) move affected you.

jaclaz

I understand what you are saying.They "Paltalk" broke 2000 compatabillity back in june of this year.Thats why i had to install Blackwingcats Kernel in the firt place.And Paltalk dont support 2000 in the first place.So i doubt they would listen being very few people like my self use 2000.Also Paltak depends heavily on internet explorer.so i am amazed it even works,even with BC's Kernel.

I just dont understand why some people "developers" forgot about Win2K.It was and is a good OS.

Its funny that even microsoft never released WMP10 for 2K.And the new Versions of Windows Live Messenger.

I never could understand that.The version of messenger was the same as the one on Windows 98 thats the highest that

you could go on 2K.Like i said,i never could understand that.Well...i can..Because 2000 dont have Product Activation.

End Rant / :D