Issues running Windows 98SE on a Compaq Presario SR1090NX

DarkenMoon97

HDD is obviously dead (due to Mobo?).

Probably not your problem, but...

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/151911/en-us

Have you tried changing the other items that use IRQ15?

Does your BIOS allow for a setting of "PnP OS Installed"?

I also noted that "ACPI" is listed. From above:

"The ACPI is completely unsupported with the laptop"

APM is ok, but ACPI may not be. :unsure: Did you try install with the aforementioned switches?

I see nothig related to IRQ's in the INF file for SMBUS. Take a look inside the "NVSMBUS.INF". *Seems* to be related to the MS Article.

side note: your MoBo is not the "PES" one then(?). BTW, there's a BIOS update.

HDD is obviously dead (due to Mobo?).

Probably not your problem, but...

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/151911/en-us

Have you tried changing the other items that use IRQ15?

Does your BIOS allow for a setting of "PnP OS Installed"?

I also noted that "ACPI" is listed. From above:

"The ACPI is completely unsupported with the laptop"

APM is ok, but ACPI may not be. :unsure: Did you try install with the aforementioned switches?

I see nothig related to IRQ's in the INF file for SMBUS. Take a look inside the "NVSMBUS.INF". *Seems* to be related to the MS Article.

side note: your MoBo is not the "PES" one then(?). BTW, there's a BIOS update.

The HDD has been flaky for a while, doesn't really surprise me too much that it died. I doubt it was from the Motherboard though. I have "Plug and Play OS" set to "yes". I didn't have a "NOIDE" registry entry so that didn't do anything. Switches? I am confused. I also updated the BIOS of this computer to v3.11, that is the newest one I could find.

I have seen the issue with resources in some Computers when only one IDE channel is in use.

It appears that the BIOS frees up the Interrupt when it doesn't detect any Drives on the Secondary Controller.

It is then assigned to other Devices. Windows 9x does not detect this and tries to assign it to the Secondary Controller causing the conflict.

Disabling the unused Channel is a perfectly acceptable solution until you add more Drives.

Well, success, finally. It seems you need to have the system scan for non-plug and play devices multiple times. Then, it will detect both IDE channels, however, the "Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller" will still be there, and it will not get any IRQ. You also don't want to remove it. While it may be useless on it's own, it will cause the system to blue screen if you try to remove it. 

I'll post instructions on how to get Win98SE working on a SR1090NX soon. But here is a basic rundown of what you need to do.

Install all drivers, scan for non-plug and play hardware after all drivers are installed, and scan for drivers multiple times. It seems that after that the system will detect both IDE channels correctly.

Things I did in the BIOS:

Enabled 32-bit data transfer on the Hard Disk.

Disabled 1394

Disabled Printer Port

I also removed the modem PCI card since it wasn't any use to me. It may work, but I am not sure.

Everything seems to work, audio, usb ports, ethernet, and the card reader.

I'll post more when I know about it, and when I can wipe up some more detailed instructions on how to do this all.

dJDV8km.png

LWpsD5r.png

• 5 months later...

Hello, I know it's been a while since I posted anything about this, and I haven't forgotten about it. I am waiting on getting a capture card so I can record the video output of the computer, so I can create a in-depth tutorial for getting Windows 98SE running on this computer. Until that happens, I am requesting that this thread get locked. I will create a new thread when I get everything I need to do the tutorial, thank you.