Issues running Windows 98SE on a Compaq Presario SR1090NX

DarkenMoon97

Hey all,

I am here for advice/help on getting Windows 98se to work on a Compaq Presario SR1090NX Desktop. I seem to be able to find all the drivers I need for getting everything to work, but I am having an issue where the IDE controller is having a resource conflict, this doesn't happen in Windows XP SP3. The reason this is a issue is because it leads to the system not being able to detect either optical drive. It seems no amount of fiddling with the settings in the bios does anything. It also seems that when I get all the drivers installed, the system will lock up at random times, sometimes it will give me control again, sometimes it won't.

Also, is this computer "too new" to run 98se correctly?

I'll give a rundown of the specs in-case it helps.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor @2.20 GHZ

Ram: 1GB DDR PC-2700

Chipset: Nvidia nForce 3 (Drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.27.html )

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 (Drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_81.98 )

HDD: 200GB Western Digital (40GB for Win98se)

Also some generic modem, USB card reader (works with USB driver), 1394 port (works out of the box), a 1.44MB floppy drive, a DVD/CD-RW and CD-Rom.

I'll try to provide more info if needed.

Edited by DarkenMoon97

Is the Hard Drive SATA or PATA?

Are you using a 48-Bit LBA Patch?

If not:

Is the 40GB Windows 98 Partition within the first 137 GB of the Hard Drive?

Is the upper part of the Hard Drive Formatted as FAT32 or NTFS?

Edited by rloew

Is the Hard Drive SATA or PATA?

Are you using a 48-Bit LBA Patch?

If not:

Is the 40GB Windows 98 Partition within the first 137 GB of the Hard Drive?

Is the upper part of the Hard Drive Formatted as FAT32 or NTFS?

The hard drive is PATA, I am also using the 48-Bit LBA Patch, and the 98 partition is the very first partition.

This computer should run Windows 98 without much problem. Have you tried installing a less than 137GB hard drive in the computer and installing Windows 98 to see what happens? Some computers when I've ran setup, I had to use to /p i   command, this is true for my HP Compaq NX9100 laptop, I believe that was the model number. Either way, it did some wacky things when I didn't. It might not be the solution but at least it's one more thing you could try, especially if you have an extra hard drive laying around.

I am here for advice/help on getting Windows 98se to work on a Compaq Presario SR1090NX Desktop. I seem to be able to find all the drivers I need for getting everything to work, but I am having an issue where the IDE controller is having a resource conflict, this doesn't happen in Windows XP SP3. The reason this is a issue is because it leads to the system not being able to detect either optical drive. It seems no amount of fiddling with the settings in the bios does anything. It also seems that when I get all the drivers installed, the system will lock up at random times, sometimes it will give me control again, sometimes it won't.

I have seen issues before when trying to run 98SE on a "prefab" (i.e. Compaq, Dell, HP) system that originally came from the manufacturer with XP installed. I have no explanation for the issues, other than maybe the PC manufacturers make small tweaks to the systems that make them unstable under 9x. These issues can manifest themselves even when all of the necessary drivers can be found for the hardware.

A couple of examples; a friend of mine had a similar Compaq that I never was able to get 98SE to run stably on, and I once tried to set up 98SE on a Dell Dimension 2400 that had an Intel 865 Chipset motherboard (a chipset fully supported for 98SE and one that works perfectly under most circumstances) that never seemed to run smoothly.

The best thing you can do is choose a motherboard that has 9x drivers and build a system from scratch; but I know in some cases this is not possible... Good luck... :}

I have seen issues before when trying to run 98SE on a "prefab" (i.e. Compaq, Dell, HP) system that originally came from the manufacturer with XP installed. I have no explanation for the issues, other than maybe the PC manufacturers make small tweaks to the systems that make them unstable under 9x. These issues can manifest themselves even when all of the necessary drivers can be found for the hardware.

A couple of examples; a friend of mine had a similar Compaq that I never was able to get 98SE to run stably on, and I once tried to set up 98SE on a Dell Dimension 2400 that had an Intel 865 Chipset motherboard (a chipset fully supported for 98SE and one that works perfectly under most circumstances) that never seemed to run smoothly.

The best thing you can do is choose a motherboard that has 9x drivers and build a system from scratch; but I know in some cases this is not possible... Good luck... :}

My laptop that I mentioned above supports your statement. It doesn't support Windows 98SE as stable as it should. The ACPI is completely unsupported with the laptop and the firewire also causes problems with it. Even though I have no firewire devices, the fact that this board supports it causes problems so I keep the device disabled. The weird this is that Windows 98 right out of the box has a driver for it, but installing it causes the computer to crash. As you said, I think some computers are just tweaked enough so that Windows 98 or any 9x products can be used successfully. All I can say is try what I mentioned above with the setup switches and report back your findings.

This computer should run Windows 98 without much problem. Have you tried installing a less than 137GB hard drive in the computer and installing Windows 98 to see what happens? Some computers when I've ran setup, I had to use to /p i   command, this is true for my HP Compaq NX9100 laptop, I believe that was the model number. Either way, it did some wacky things when I didn't. It might not be the solution but at least it's one more thing you could try, especially if you have an extra hard drive laying around.

I do have a spare 120GB western digital drive, I've got no idea if it still works though. 

It does seem that custom building a 98 machine is the way to go (using parts that 100% support 98 that is). I will try turning off stuff I don't use, like the parallel and serial ports. I've got no idea if it'd make a difference, but it's worth a shot.

I am currently waiting on this 120GB Western Digital to format. The drive itself seems to be incredibly flaky, it takes the computer a good 30-40 seconds to get past the bios, and the 98 setup sits and waits for the drive as well. Oh well, at least it's not the drive that came with the computer, or the drive I plan to use for important files.

Try disabling 1394 as well, it's only a hunch but as I said, I've had problems with it and 98SE too.

Yeah, I'll try doing that after I get this install of 98 done.

I am currently waiting on this 120GB Western Digital to format. The drive itself seems to be incredibly flaky, it takes the computer a good 30-40 seconds to get past the bios, and the 98 setup sits and waits for the drive as well. Oh well, at least it's not the drive that came with the computer, or the drive I plan to use for important files.

Check the jumper setting on the HDD. If it is the only drive on the cable just remove the jumper, as this can cause a delay during POST and possibly other delays later.

Check the jumper setting on the HDD. If it is the only drive on the cable just remove the jumper, as this can cause a delay during POST and possibly other delays later.

There was no jumper on it. I am now using a 40GB Maxtor drive, and it seems to be working much better.

Okay so I finally have 98se installed and I have made an interesting discovery. If I have the IDE controller set to "Primary only", it gets no conflict. However, if I set it to both channels, I will get a resource conflict again. This is also after I have unplugged everything inside and outside of the system that is not needed.

Specs:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c00094638&ac.admitted=1415800540015.876444892.199480143

Motherboard:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00064822&lc=en&locale=en_US

Apparently two variations exactly the same - one doesn't have the Extender (page no longer available).

Found links here:

http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/oem/HP/index.html

re: 120GB WD HDD "There was no jumper on it." - I find that hard to believe. :crazy: *UNLESS* you mean the jumper was "removed" in which case it "should" have been "Master" (on end of cable) and no other HDD on the same cable (middle). If it's a "Cable Select" type cable then it should be connected correctly (e.g. Blue end on Mobo).

Edited by submix8c

Specs:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c00094638&ac.admitted=1415800540015.876444892.199480143

Motherboard:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00064822&lc=en&locale=en_US

Apparently two variations exactly the same - one doesn't have the Extender (page no longer available).

Found links here:

http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/oem/HP/index.html

re: 120GB WD HDD "There was no jumper on it." - I find that hard to believe. :crazy: *UNLESS* you mean the jumper was "removed" in which case it "should" have been "Master" (on end of cable) and no other HDD on the same cable (middle). If it's a "Cable Select" type cable then it should be connected correctly (e.g. Blue end on Mobo).

I have the variant with no extender at the end, and yes, the jumper was removed. However, it seems that while messing with 98 on it, it has died. The hard drive is no longer detected by any computer I put it in.