why stop at 64 bits

govesxav

why windows and other operating systems(linux,ubuntu,FreeBsd...) stopped at 64 bits.If they continued their innovative journey,are we going to see 128 bits windows,linux.and moving further,are we gonna see 256,512 bits windows etc.i think if they r there,then they would be faster.

This has been covered before. Prior to Windows 8 release, it was said it would be 64bit and 128bit versions only. The problem is that the consumer and business markets (aka the customers) are not ready yet to abandon 32bit nor have any real need for 128bit Operating Systems. Of course, there are those in super high-tech fields that could use such a thing, but they are presently in the minority.

This has been covered before. Prior to Windows 8 release, it was said it would be 64bit and 128bit versions only. The problem is that the consumer and business markets (aka the customers) are not ready yet to abandon 32bit nor have any real need for 128bit Operating Systems. Of course, there are those in super high-tech fields that could use such a thing, but they are presently in the minority.

Plus those kind of users will more than likely be using their own os's or heavily customized Linux distros and so-on... LOOOONG before they would let MS touch their systems.

• 1 month later...

To repeat myself.

The need for a dual core processing instructions is limited by the programmers who implement them. I am talking about real hard-core programmers who actual see a need for the usage of the extra instructions.

Think UNIX, think PPC, think big companies, private organizations, governments, and new technologies that are thrown on to the public for no reason at all but to make sales?

Where and why are we using these systems? Who will use these systems and how will they use them?

Edited by ROTS

I don't think the average desktop user's needs or wants have anything to do with what hardware becomes available. Desktop hardware seems to solely be made up of things that gamers want or need. It is possible that engineering fields also are a driver, such as any working with CAD software.