Win98 install issues

KLund1

I have installed 98 on a socket 478 MB with 2gb ram

I have changed the System.ini file for maxPhysPage=30000 in 386enh, and MaxFileCache=524288 in VCache.

But I get the out of memory message when I try to open CMD.

Control Panel/System reports I have 768Mb ram installed.

Other issues:

There is a "?" in Device Manager for PCI Universal Serial Bus, which is why I assume when I insert a USB drive, I get a quick cursor hour glass then nothing. There is no USB driver written for this motherboard. Having Device Manager search the WIn98 CD gets nothing.

I have installed the LAN driver sucessfully, but I can not connect to the internet. IE says Page can't be displayed for Google.com. I think I'm missing something simple here, but it has been many, many years since I did a Win98 install.

Hope I was clear. Any suggestions.

Thanks

The various RAM tweaks for using more than 512MB never worked for me, so I'm surprised you got as far as you have with 2GB, congrats.

Installing NUSB should take care of the USB issue (a USB2 controller driver is lacking in Windows 98, NUSB provides one along with a Mass Storage Driver).

Did you install the TCP/IP protocol when you set up 98? Do you have the LAN card set to Obtain an IP address automatically? (assuming you are using DHCP) Also be sure to check an see if IE is in "Work Offline" mode,if so, turn it off.

Anything else, we will probably need more detailed specs for your machine.

Thanks for all the replys

Could you provide a link to NUSB?

I did not install TCP/IP protocol. I do not remember having to do that in the past. Can you please provide details & links?

The Lan is on the mobo, and shows as working in Device Manager. It is set to it's defautl parameters, so I can only assume IP address to automatically be generated. But not sure how to check. IE is not in Offline Work mode.

MaxFileCache=20000-  I will try when I get home. What does this accully do? That is an awfully round number for Windows.

Thanks again for all your help

MaxFileCache=20000 this change made some differances,

Control Panel show 512mb

I can open a DOS box.

I can now get on the internet. I found the internet connection wizard. Had to delete, reboot, and reinstall LAN driver. I can see Google.com. then disconnected Lan cable. don;t want an infection.

Found NUSB, downloaded and installed. I can now see USB drives.

One thing, though. I was orgianlly testing with a USB drive I reformatted a long time ago. All the manufacture stuff was deleted. SO win98 did not see any driver on that one. I put in a new USB3.0 stick, WIn98 saw it and installed it and I could see it in Windows Explorer.

ALL IS GOOD!!

Many Thanks !!!