I'm having trouble understanding the install process of windows 98

stevenshuffle

I want to start using old computer so i can play the old game on there original way,so i went out looking for a old computer. after a while of looking for a computer i found a Pentium 3 pc , I don't know all the specifics but this is what it is from what ive seen

Pentium iii

about 200 mb ram 

ati video card(3d rage)

netgear network card 

sound card 

40 gb fat 32

floppy drive

cd rom -rw

When i boot the computer i see this

http://imgur.com/3mxDyMA

i dont know the exact reason why this is happening but i think all i have to do is get a copy of windows 98 right ?

if you need pictures of the bios or information just ask because i know you guys are very good at this.

http://imgur.com/NYVxHok

http://imgur.com/CBeGql7

http://imgur.com/FZ7cz6T

http://imgur.com/30DYB6q

The install process of Windows 98 usually requires a Windows 98 CD. If you don't have a Windows 98 CD, and you haven't bothered inserting it into the CD-Rom, then your problem isn't a Windows 98 installation, but lack of an operating system. Do you have a Windows 98 CD, and is Win98 already installed? If you don't, and it isn't, then you don't really have a Windows 98 problem.

Your pictures are too large for dial-up, but I viewed the top portions. All I see is some BIOS information, and I saw some external and internal pictures of your computer. Those are all fine and dandy, but they tell me absolutely nothing about whether or not your Windows 98 installation is working.

Here are some tips:

-If you turn your computer on and it says, "non system disk or disk error" then that means DOS or Windows IS NOT installed. Therefore the hard drive is empty.

-If you turn your computer on and some sort of Windows logo appears, then that means you have SOMETHING installed on your computer.

-If you turn your computer on, and absolutely nothing happens (blank empty screen, just hangs there), then you may need to return your computer, because it's probably broken in some way or another.

So, in conclusion, there are three LIKELY common possibilties.... which are:

(1) When you turn the computer on, if DOS or Windows IS NOT installed, you'll get a "Non system disk or disk error" statement. Meaning it needs to be formatted.

(2) some other (I don't know what) operating system will start up.

(3) a third possibility, nothing happens at all when computer is started, like a totally blank, empty screen... meaning it will require more work/troubleshooting.

P.S.

IF you don't even have the Windows 98 CD, then why are you asking about the "install process of Windows 98?" A pentium III computer with those specs should work fine with 98... but I'd suggest ME instead, because Windows 98 is an unstable pile of junk IMO, and lacks WinME's background "file protection system."

Basically, if you have the CD, all you need to do is start your computer, insert the CD, then restart the computer and follow the instructions....... but that depends on what your computer is doing on startup... which you haven't specified. One little picture doesn't tell me much.

P.P.S.

If there is a different version of windows already installed, you'll need to FDISK and/or REFORMAT the hard drive before installing Windows 98... that's assuming it is NTFS... if it's already FAT32, then you won't need to FDISK.

P.P.P.S

If you can get into the BIOS, and I'm assuming you are pressing some F1 or whatever key, then what happens when you start the computer without pressing F1 (or whatever key) to enter the BIOS. What does it do when you start it up and just let it run??????????????

Edited by LostInSpace2012

You only provided one screenshot... so

Is the computer booting to the DOS command prompt: "C:\>"

If so, that's good. Means DOS is installed. In that case, try typing "Win" and press Enter.

If Windows doesn't start aftering entering "win", then you can install Windows.

So, again, what does it do when you simply turn the computer on and let it boot?

Edited by LostInSpace2012

I'm almost 98% sure your computer uses AwardBIOS. This screenshot is normal as my main computer shows almost the same exact information except it's relevant to my computer. However, once it says verifying DMI pool data, the computer should hand off control to the operating system, whichever one is on there. If it says to insert a disk, or non-system disk error, or no operating system found, then that means one of two things. Either your hard disk is bad which is unlikely, or there is no operating system presently installed. However, we need a bit more information as to what you're actually asking us. Maybe you're not familiar with Award BIOS so that's why you're not sure why that screen pops up in the first screenshot. I can assure you that it's normal as I'm a bit of an Award enthusiast and prefer to buy PC's or motherboards that use Award over AMI.

BTW, depending on what games you want to play, the ATI Rage chips aren't good for 3D. You may also want to have more than 256MB of RAM if you want to play year 2000+ games comfortably.