Outlook always creates a new .pst even if I connect to the old one

bookie32

Hi guys!

This is a nightmare that I wish Microsoft would fix.

I go through the process of starting Outlook for the first time and then connecting to an existing .pst file that I want to use.

The problem is when Outlook starts it isn't connected to the .pst file I chose during installation but a new one it creates...

This has happened so many times now...can't see the Point of having the chance to connect to the old one if Outlook creates a new one every time!!!!!!!!!!!!

I then need to Point Outlook to the old one and move all folders when Outlook starts so that I have only one profile...

Please...tell me I am not alone trying to make this crap work....

bookie32

I go through the process of starting Outlook for the first time and then connecting to an existing .pst file

[...]

Outlook creates a new one every time!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many times can you start Outlook "for the first time" ?

If AutoArchive is activated, Outlook will create an archive pst in your profile, until you tell it to auto-archive to an other pst or to not auto-archive,

Hi guys!

OK...I am talking about moving the .pst file from one computer to Another in its  "Outlook-files" directory. I have followed other "How to's" in the past and they say move/copy the folder to "My documents" before opening Outlook for the first time...

I then choose to add the new account and click on the " configure manually" option...I then add the link to the .pst which is in Outlook-files and add server settings etc...

After this tests OK I contiue with the account...

But when Outlook opens I find it has created a new .pst and is filling up that one from the original....is this just standard procedure?

Is it because I have moved the file from one computer to Another?

If the answers are yes to my questions - then the "How to's" are crap....

People go to such lengths to create informative "How to's" and they don't work....why?

bookie32

Can you link to the said "How To" so we can understand what it is about ?

What do you mean by "it has created a new .pst and is filling up that one from the original"? Is it transferring data from one to the other?

What do you mean by "Outlook Files" directory?

Hi Ponch!

Here is the How To

The new forms of office crete a folder when started called Outlook-files and that is stored in My Documents.

I create this file Before opening the newer version of Outlook and copy the original .pst file/files in there, so that when I start the new Outlook it doesn't need to create that folder...

As I said...I then choose the old .pst when setting up the new account after starting the new Outlook - but afterwards I see that a new .pst file has been created and the account is set to that one?

If I then copy all files to their appopiate folders/directories from the old .pst - then the new one populates and the old one empties...

This should not be necessary...

bookie32

Hi Ponch!

OK! Example...if I start Outlook for the first time and use say joeblogs@.co. as my email and then with pop3 connect to the "backup.pst"...after I have created the account. I see that there is a joeblogs.pst being used and then the "backup.pst" isn't used at all.

I have to go in settings and add Another data file (.pst) my b"backup" and then it appears as an extra in Outlook.

OK! my fault...I then move all the folders from "backup" to "joeblogs" and then my backup empties....sorry for the mix up...

I still don't understand the Point of pointing Outlook to the old .pst when setting up the account if it has no intention of using it? There is no logic to the process at all...

OK, so "it empties" only refers to the fact it takes time to move all items from one pst to the other but it's you that do it.

Have you checked in the properties of the old pst (Advanced) if it says "Outlook Data File (97-2002)" ? There must be a reason why Outlook won't deliver mails to that pst.

Hmmm...

For OE6 I have done:

1 - Create Logon to OE using exact same original name

2 - Create exact original Folder (?) names

3 - Log out

4 - Copy Backups using *original* name over top of "newly created"

5 - Log in and there they are untouched

Sounds like you're using some sort of "export/import" method.

Again, I don't use OE, but use "default" OE6 as supplied with XP/2K3/IE6.

BTW, you haven't stated *which* OE you're coming *from* or *which* OE you're going *to*.

Here is the original MS article(s) that your link apparently uses for a reference.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291636

Sounds like you're using some sort of "export/import" method.

Again, I don't use OE, but use "default" OE6 as supplied with XP/2K3/IE6.

BTW, you haven't stated *which* OE you're coming *from* or *which* OE you're going *to*.

Here is the original MS article(s) that your link apparently uses for a reference.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291636

Submix, as you state yourself earlier, he's using Outlook, not OE. OE does not support pst files and is very different from Outlook, so your 5 points plan does not apply.

He's following a Microsoft procedure,not "some sort export/import method". He has a pst, to begin with, that is not from OE either.  The article he links to is all about Outlook 2010, so I guess he's (now) using Outlook 2010.

Yes, I understand that (OE vs OLK). The link I gave (the apparent reference)

Microsoft Outlook 2010
seems to be more simplistic. The OP is using "Backup.pst" (as the name) and the procedure they linked to. Is this the same? I *suppose* we could *assume* that the Target is OE2010. Can we also *assume* the Source is OE2010? In any case, the OP may be using an incorrect procedure, hence my Q "Source/Target" Versions (so nobody *assumes* anything).

I *do* have OE2007, but don't use it. I really don't want to waste much time on running a/the scenario without a confirmation.

Hi again!

In this instance I have XP created in VMware and that has outlook express...I then transferred all the relevant .dbx files to the specific ID folder which resulted in outlook express starting with all my customers files....

These files came from his crashed XP computer...

I then installed my own Windows Office 2007 and yes, I used the backup .pst file to connect to with Office 2013. I wasn't  aware of any restrictions regarding the .pst file...I was under the impression that the .pst file was supposed to be universal over several versions of Office....

I then created the Outlook-files folder that Outlook creates when started....and left my backup .pst file in that folder....

I then connected to that .pst file on starting Outlook for the first time when adding pop3 information etc...

This connecting to an existing .pst file has never worked  and I have tried moving it from one Windows 7 to another with the same version of office....

Now, with the risk of offending someone, I can follow instructions as well as any other....just don't see the point of having such a function inbuilt in Outlook if it doesn't work...

If the .pst file is to be universal then it shouldn't contain any code that would affect it being moved from computer to computer and version to another version...

It is time Microsoft deliver something that works in practice and not just theory....

If you use pop3 - the function for connecting to an existing .pst file is active and not for IMAP for obvious reasons....In the future I am going to ignore that function and create the account I originally wanted...in this IMAP and then add the .pst file as personal folders and transfer everything to the IMAP settings so that it can be mirrored to the server....

In any case, I wont waste anymore time trying to use something that doesn't work.....

Thanks for your input guys...nothing personal...just fed up with Microsoft and its promises for this and promises for that...

This forum has some really talented guys/girls....I am just a novice compared to you...

Just wish Microsoft developers listened to some of the valuable input that is registered here on the forum....they would never have released Windows 8.0 or 8.1 in the first place....and now they are missing out a number and going to Windows 10...where is the logic in that...not going to improve the result....

Sorry, getting off my soap box now....