Java update kills my oekaki board!

ppgrainbow

Hey there! I currently operate my oekaki board for over a decade now.

When I updated to Java 8 Update 20 (and higher) on my Windows Vista Ultimate x64 PC, any attempts to access the Java applet on my oekaki throws this error message:

Application Blocked by Java Security: For security, applications must now meet the requirements for the High or Very High security settings, or be part of the Exception Site List, to be allowed to run. More Information.

Oracle had been informing people for sometime that Java would hard block unsigned applets. I had failed to realise that the oekaki that I've been running has unsigned applets and Oracle has been calling it a policy issue.

Is there any way to fix the issue involving Java and unsigned applets without having to break legacy compatibility with older browsers?

(I'm currently running Windows 95 under VMware Player with 64 MB of memory, Firefox 1.5 and Java 1.4.0.4 installed and I don't have a problem with it at all. If you feel that I placed this thread in the wrong part of the forum, I apologise.)

Edited by Tripredacus

It seems you are saying updating the client's Java causes problems accessing portions of another website. The people who make that board last updated in 2012 and also have their own support forum:

http://www.ninechime.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=7

As for what you can do, I'm not sure. The message it tells you says something about putting it in an exception list. Have you tried this? Otherwise, you would have to revert to a previous version of Java until the developers update their software. :unsure:

It seems you are saying updating the client's Java causes problems accessing portions of another website. The people who make that board last updated in 2012 and also have their own support forum:

http://www.ninechime.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=7

As for what you can do, I'm not sure. The message it tells you says something about putting it in an exception list. Have you tried this? Otherwise, you would have to revert to a previous version of Java until the developers update their software. :unsure:

I have entered my website into the Exception List with the correct link. I've attempted to draw something at my oekaki board, however it partially works.

When I attempted to save using PaintBBS, I get this error message:

access.denied ("java.net.SocketPermission"."198.57.149.32:80" "connect, resolve")

please push send button again

Also, when I try to save a test drawing using ChibiPaint, for some obvious reason, the applet stops working and several minutes later, this error message is displayed:

Error while sending the oekaki...access denied ("java.net.SocketPermission" "198.57.149.32:80" "connect,resolve")

Normal and animated OekakiBBS, ShiPainter and ShiPainter Pro applets work correctly. When visitors use the Java run applet for the first time, they're greeted with this information:

Do you want to run this application?

An unsigned application from the location below is requesting permission to run.

When I click Yes, Java works. I'm gonna be updating the site more sometime this weekend to reflect the changes in Java 8 Update 20+. :)

Edited by ppgrainbow