Help for a semi-dead PC

JorgeA

After screwing the new PSU into place, I moved the machine to its usual place and hooked it up to the monitor. Booting up without any drives connected, I got a screen of the Intel Boot Agent or something like that.

Based on that promising result, I went ahead and connected the optical disk drive and rebooted again. Same thing. Next I put a Linux Live CD in there, and on rebooting it went into Zorin OS 6.4 (the first Linux disk I found). Went all the way to the end just fine.  :thumbup

The next step will be to reconnect the HDD and see what happens. I'm optimistic that  it'll work.

If it does work, I will have a new but less unpleasant issue tro deal with. Up until last week, the problem PC had a graphics card with DVI output and was sharing a monitor with my work PC, which had only a VGA output. This was OK because the monitor has one DVI and one VGA input.

However, in the time that the sick PC was out of commission, I installed a new, separate graphics card into the other PC that had previously been connected to the VGA port. This GPU has only DVI outputs, so when I finish putting together the problem PC, I will end up with 2 PCs outputting via DVI and only one DVI port to plug them into.

While researching this, I can refrain from installing the GPU and connect the PC patient to the VGA port instead, basically switching the ports that the two computers use. But eventually I will want to put that GPU back in place and I'll have to either get a new monitor, or find a way to connect both of them to the existing monitor.

One way to accomplish this (maybe) is to see if there is such a thing as a "two sources to one display" DVI cable. Another might be a DVI-to-VGA adapter so that I can make use of the VGA port; one of my graphics cards came with what appears to be one of these. Assuming that the genders on the adapter are correct, is it a plausible concept to convert a DVI output for use in a VGA input?

--JorgeA

EDIT: The genders on the adapter are correct. I can connect the adapter into the DVI output on the back of the PC patient, then the VGA end of the adapter to the end of the VGA cable leading to the VGA port on the monitor. Any issues I need to think about (picture quality, electrical concerns, etc.)?

Edited by JorgeA

@Trip

Queer :unsure:

To be picky, DVI does not exist. :w00t: (as a connector)

• DVI-A
  • DVI-D
  • DVI-I

exist instead.

Most graphic card output DVI-I, i.e. they output BOTH a Digital and an Analog signal.

The Analog signal is actually a "plain" Vga one:

http://pinoutsguide.com/VideoCables/dvi_to_vga_adapter_pinout.shtml

I doubt that a DVI-I actually can output a signal which is not fully VGA compatible, are you saying that given a same PC (with DVI-I output) one VGA monitor would work and another one would not or that you have some computers on which the VGA monitor does not work (maybe they have not DVI-I output, and offer only Digital but not Analogic signals)? :unsure:

jaclaz

We may be in luck then, as according to this guide, what I have coming out of the graphics card is a DVI-I dual-link output: the connector looks like the fifth one from the top.

BTW, truer words have never been spoken than what the guide says at the top:

The DVI cable standard is one of the most confusing "standards" on the market today.

Those quotation marks around "standards" are especially apt.  :wacko:

--JorgeA

I am happy to report that I got everything working now: the PSU, the DVI-to-VGA adapter, Windows -- everything.  :thumbup

It was wonderful to see the Vista Sidebar and 3D Taskbar coming to life again on this machine.  :)

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with tips and information. I literally could not have completed this project without you.

The "patient" will stay under close observation for a while yet, but the prognosis is looking increasingly good.

--JorgeA

• 3 months later...

I missed this party, better late than never. :rolleyes:

To test if a PSU is alive out-of-comp, we jump-start it with a paperclip or piece of wire bridging the green wire (PS-ON) with any black wire (ground) on the ATX20/24 connector.

PSpoweron.jpg _____ PSU-PinOut.jpg

Though the Corsair CX430 is miles better than the original junk that came with your comp, beware that on this 'entry-level' model Corsair most graciously fits low quality chinese crapacitors in the secondary, that might not last long once warranty expires (3 years for the CX430 I believe).

I missed this party, better late than never. :rolleyes:

To test if a PSU is alive out-of-comp, we jump-start it with a paperclip or piece of wire bridging the green wire (PS-ON) with any black wire (ground) on the ATX20/24 connector.

Or get a professional tool :w00t: MADE IN USA for a mere US$ 4.10 :yes: (was 12.99 ) you save 68% hurry, while supply lasts.... ;)

hxxp://www.amazon.com/24-Pin-STARTER-BRIDGE-WITHOUT-MOTHERBOARD/dp/B00K38IKRY

24-Pin ATX/EPS PSU JUMP STARTER BRIDGE, RUN YOUR POWER SUPPLY WITHOUT MOTHERBOARD/ MADE IN USA, GREAT FOR BTC RIG'S!

List Price: $12.99

Price: $4.10 & FREE Shipping

You Save: $8.89 (68%)

Points of note :unsure::

• 24 Pin ATX Jump Start Power Supply Bridging Connector Plug
  • Run, and Power Up Any ATX/EPS Power Supply, By its self.
  • NO MotherBoard Needed to power up your PSU
  • Great for Bitcoin Mining! Can accept 24Pin aswell as 20Pin ATX Power Supplys
  • Use Your PSU for things other then your PC, Such as BTC Miners.(Antminer , Block Erupter , Avalon ,Etc.!)

jaclaz