The new Start Menu is a shadow of its former self

JorgeA

np. I've always been a desktop person along with a mouse person. I've never owned a laptop though I would like too so I can lay in bed and do crap.

I looked a little more closely at the amount of work needed to bring the run box up using the mouse and it wasn't a 1/4 inch. It was like 1/8th of an inch. 2 physical movements totally a measly quarter of an inch.

I haven't read this thread but since it's talking about the start menu, I thought I'd post my first gripe after only using Windows 10 for 20 minutes. I'll probably revisit it later when I have more time.

Anyways on to my point.... Is MS friggin insane? No built in run command in the start menu? I found out the round about way of adding a shortcut but c'mon. How much more dumbed down can they make Windows? This is beyond ridiculous now. Hopefully the brainiacs at MS will include it in the final version but there is zero reason for that not being a part of the core right now.

We can only presume that someone - somewhere - in Microsoft is both completely non-technical and quite firmly in charge of what goes into the OS.  It's gotten to the point where manipulativeness has overwhelmed sensible decision.  Worse, I can't believe there are any truly talented technical people left working under such management by now.  I know if someone were keeping me from creating the best Start Menu you've ever seen I'd have found another job.

Even if we didn't have third party software that DOES do these simple things to show how useful they are, anyone with a year of experience actually USING the OS and even half a technical brain knows they are needed.  People who have used serious computer operating systems more sophisticated than Windows continue to shake their heads.

Reminds me a bit of the film "The Devil Wears Prada", where nothing is based on anything other than arbitrary decisions made by some witch in charge about what's in and what's out.  Fashion has no business driving computer operating system development.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Reminds me a bit of the film "The Devil Wears Prada", where nothing is based on anything other than arbitrary decisions made by some witch in charge about what's in and what's out.  Fashion has no business driving computer operating system development.

LOL :thumbup

Years ago David Bowie had a concert based on his then-new song, "Fashion." Models marching across the stage while the background singers made the title word sound almost like "fascism."

Now that will come to mind every time I read some Metro shill lecturing others about getting with the program, being "modern," blah blah blah.

--JorgeA

With any luck, the ClassicShell folks (are you listening, XPclient? :) ) will be on top of this very quickly.

--JorgeA

P.S. So the new build (9879) is out? I haven't seen anything. Matter of fact, yesterday I saw the Patch Tuesday updates, but as the "more information" links led to error pages, I opted to hold off on installing those updates. Now they're no longer available, all I keep getting when checking for updates are Defender files (and Update History doesn't show any other kind of updates installed since last month).

Edited by JorgeA

the other build is in pc settings - restore/update -> preview builds (or alike) you wont find it in the cntrol panel.

btw just try to start classicstartmenu.exe if you havr it already installed and if not try compatibility mode...

• 2 months later...

You guys clearly haven't tried Build 9926! The 9841 start menu has died. The new start menu (if I'd even call it that) is no longer a shadow of its former self, but rather a faded memory.  :thumbdown

They've re-written it in XAML. Gone are the familiar Win32 right click context menus, and in are the 'modern' style. You can't even right click an application to check its properties, because properties no longer exists in the context menu. Why did they need to re-write it in XAML? Why is the feedback application an XAML modern application? It's dreadful. I've lost all confidence in Microsoft as a company. Who is pushing these decisions?