Windows XP x86 PAE HAL/USB patch files integration

sdt

The topic "patch XP to use more than roughly 3.5 Gb of RAM " is not new, the topic "How can I integrate these changes/patches with nlite" seems to me like a new one, instead.

Personally I would not even think of replacing the kernel and hal, but I would rather use the alternative BOOT.INI load method, as such, there is no need of anything "particular", it is just a matter of copying the files where appropriate and add a line to BOOT.INI, all in all something that could be well done "outside" (and after) nlite and possibly more suited to WPI or more simply to a batch file In RunOnceEx or similar.

jaclaz

batch file In RunOnceEx or similar.

could you please make this batch file with some basic howto, i wouldnt want to mess around with this all day and mess things up more than fixing them :D

Edited by sdt

also i have one doubt my system has 4gb ram and 1 gb video ram in gtx 560 card. i have enabled PAE switch in boot.ini so windows about dialog is showing around 3.49gb ram. Is Xp actually using 3.49 ram + 1 gb video ram?

also i have one doubt my system has 4gb ram and 1 gb video ram in gtx 560 card. i have enabled PAE switch in boot.ini so windows about dialog is showing around 3.49gb ram. Is Xp actually using 3.49 ram + 1 gb video ram?

No, video card RAM is video card RAM and System RAM is system RAM.

You may have been confused by the fact that ONBOARD (not PCI/SGP/PCI-E) video cards may operate using part of the System RAM. 

As always, before writing a batch, it would be logical to test the setup manually.

Rename all files adding (say) a "4" to the name, keeping the extension.

Example: hal.dll->hal4.dll

To be on the safe side, make sure you do not exceed the 8.3 naming convention, i.e. in the case of halmacpi.dll rename it to halmacp4.dll

Add to your BOOT.INI a line, by copying your current "booting Windows XP entry" line, pasting it as last line of the BOOT.INI  and adding the hal and kernel switches:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170950-windows-2000-on-haswell/?p=1085774 

Copy the chosen hal/kernel to %Windir%\Sytem32

Or add all files and add all lines (and later delete the ones not used), do check the given links, particularly this one:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=23553

Point: "6. Universal XP - Support in boot.ini menu for Multiple Hal and Kernel"

jaclaz