old computer back to life

pulteny

Hi all,

If you look at my previous post you will see what I am up to.Installed some of my previous programs but get dll errors. Decided to put in kernelex as last time this worked for me. The program insisted on first having microsoft layer for unicode (mslu). Downloaded this but it required  to be extracted ? to a folder in windows I think, did a google and was taken to a post here.

Some one had the same problem and was advised to extract? it to c:\program files\common files\decisions\2.0\bin. Searched for this in windows but could not find it, tried anyway but was told it did not exist.

Could any out there help and in very simple instructions tell me how to add unicode (mslu) into my win9x so that I may install kernelex to see if it fixes the dll situation.

Thankyou in antipision  pulteny.

Hi again,

Super moderator.

Yes your link is to page2 of my last post. I however do not know how to creat links or would have.

Lostinspace,

thank you for info, kernelex now installed.

My wireless adaptor still comes up with missing file mso9 dll have repeatly added drivers from cd supplyed so it was not the magic bullet I hoped for.

Regards pulteny.

• 1 year later...

Hi all The project continues but need help.

Read this to see where I am coming from http://www.msfn.org/...s-up/?p=1084879

I have got most things up and running from long lost cd's. The hard drive was formatted using the Gateway system cd,all is well but none of my USB adaptors will work.Looking in the Windows system they are installed but "not working" this seems to be a driver problem. I have the win9x drivers but try as I may the don't seam recognised by instal drivers wizard.

Thought somthing was wrong with the USB system,but on advice from local computer shop tried a USB mouse and windows installed drivers and mouse worked.He said problem might lie in the registery?.Know nothing about this.A google look came legesy keyboarg in bios,enabled this but no effect.

My USB adaptors are,  wireless conection to router, sandisk cruzer memoty stick.camera card reader and epson printer, all were working before formatting and I have supplied win98se drivers.

Can any one help with this long term project.

Regards Pulteny.

Hi thank's for repy.

When I bought the computer it came with backup cd's and a win9x disc One of the cd's was the" Gateway system" disc this contained drivers, bootable restoration cd. This was used to set up the hard drive and provided instructions in steps on how to format the drive and then install windows. All steps were done as and when prompted. As you my see it is a gateway computer.

Hope I have explained enough?

Regards Pulteny.

USB malfunction may happen for different reasons:

- incorrect/defective/mismatched drivers

- incorrect/incomplete driver installation

- missing required components such as DirectX, VC Runtime (msvcrt, msvcp/msvcr-60/70/71/etc) and/or many others

Uninstalling current USB drivers and installing an updated package such as Unofficial SP3.x with NUSB 3.6 may help.

???

...and then install windows...
There are two forms of these CD's.

One is a Blow-Away and slap down a new one (an IMAGE!).

The other is Blow-Away and *YOU* do the Install.

In the Second case, there would have been another folder with Gateway-Specific USB Drivers. :unsure:

OK, pulled out a BackUp. A Bootable Gateway "System Recove Kit" (SRK) -actually THREE variations-. It (they) has (have) a "RESTORE" folder in it used to "Restore" from an Image.

Another is labeled "SRK#1" and only contains multiple OS drivers folders. You *are* aware that you have to have Chipset Drivers installed before anything else, right?

Last one is labeled "SRK#3" and has Applications and (ugh!) Gateway's Norton Goback on it.

I think you're just a bit confused. PLEASE post *exactly* what you did in what order. I *do* have the Gateway SRK right here.

Hi drugwash,

I read what you say and googled what you mentioned.However I have installed non msn software kernal.ex and as all worked before I formatted the hard drive I am not happy with installing more non microsoft stuff at present. Perhaps before it goes for recycling I will give it a try.

Hi submix8c,

We have crossed swordes before.You know a lot about win9x and appear to have knowlege about Gateway products.

A lot of years a go I crashed windows and technical help at gateway Ireland guided me on the phone how to reinstall windows from supplied cd's. This was not very sucessfull and the thing was shiped back to Ireland and they did it for me.

When it returned I found some of the installed software was up dated.perhaps an better version of 9x was fitted or newer than that I had on my cd.

My gateway system disc is version 6.9 and I think it is" blow-away and you do the install "

Your post becomes a bit too technical for the likes of me. I have gone back and read your previous advice and I think you know what you are talking about.I would be very gratefull if you could help me using the gateway cd's to get my usb drivers up and running.

I  have six cd's in all including the dreaded go-back one.If you could be more direct on the information you need I will give it.

I can't find the spell checker on this forum?

Regards pulteny.

Hi drugwash,

I read what you say and googled what you mentioned.However I have installed non msn software kernal.ex and as all worked before I formatted the hard drive I am not happy with installing more non microsoft stuff at present. Perhaps before it goes for recycling I will give it a try.

In regard to uSP3, you don't have to install the whole package - only the core components that are mostly MS updates/bugfixes/runtimes. The others are more or less optional components.

Since you said that last time the computer came with newer versions of software, most likely the guys at Gateway Ireland had also updated certain system components. Core components in uSP3 may just be what's needed. It's an option to consider, not pushing or anything. Either way, good luck! :)

I am not happy with installing more non microsoft stuff at present. Perhaps before it goes for recycling I will give it a try.

Before we go any further, please understand what is included.

These are some of the options in SP3 with 3rd party drivers

Adaptec ASPI Layer 4.71.2.0- APIX.VXD 4.71 (0002)- ASPIENUM.VXD 4.60(1021) - WINASPI.DLL 4.60 (1021)- WNASPI32.DLL 4.71 (0002)Microsoft IExpress Wizard 2.0- CABPACK.EXE 1.4aNTFS Drivers for Windows 98 + NTFS Partition Deleter 1.00- PNTFS.VXD 3.0.2.2Windows Script Engine 5.7.0.16535 + Dynamic WrapperX 1.0- DYNWRAPX.DLL 1.00WDM Filter Driver- USBU2A.SYS 1.4.2.0USB Storage Class for Casio devices- USBDSC1.SYS 4.10.0.1998- USBDSC2.VXD 4.10.0.1998VIA USB 2.0 HUB Driver- USBHUB20.SYS 4.90.3000.11

The SP installs over 1400+ updated files from all different windows versions from NT to Win 7, except for the 11 listed above, every single file is from a legit Microsoft source. There are no 3rd party apps, just drivers. This is why I constantly ask people to read so they are not mislead. Many assume the pack is full of 3rd party apps bloat and garbage etc..., but the pack doesn't have any, just drivers that are essential and options that users may need for everyday use. Example: Remote Desktop, VPN Client, Active Directory etc... Networking components. BTW, Main Updates/Core Components install microsoft files only. NO 3RD PARTY APPS. Whether you use the pack or not, know what you speak of before spreading propaganda. The pack is clean of 3rd party apps, just a ton of Microsoft Tools and software for users who don't like to use 3rd party apps. There you have it, straight from the horse's mouth. Enjoy

P.S

Even the 3rd party drivers are optional. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: miscalculated

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

This topic. (Wouldn't exactly call it "crossing swords" - maybe in a friendly back-forth manner?)

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172397-win9x-locks-up/

My gateway system disc is version 6.9 and I think it is" blow-away and you do the install "
Hmmm... looking into it now. Mine are designated "System Recovery Kit". I have Four CD's (backup copies, mind you). Also note I'm only looking at Contents and not actually Running this.

1 = Rev.1.0 "For Pentium"

- Label=Win98SE

- Bootable (Seems to be Standard Boot)

-- Checks for Gateway PC, creates a RamDrive, kicks off "WINENV" (to select operation via "INSTWIZ.INI"), etc. etc.

- Has an Image "RESTORE.IMC" in folder "RESTORE" (HexEdit says "Imagecast") - assuming this is used to "restore"?

- Copies the Win98 folder to "C:\CABS" folder

- Does othe "stuff"

2 - Rev.1.2 - Nearly identical except newer (?)

- Label = 010402_0108 (???) (EasyCD Creator?) -NOTE- So is #1 above *and* these are Backup Copies of Holgram CD's. ;)

-NOTE- a file "REBUILD.DAT" in folder "RESTORE" is a program by "StorageSoft"

3 - V2.1 Apps (etc)

- Label = SRK#3 (created with CEQUADRAT software - now defunct and bought by AFAICR Adaptec/Roxio?)

- Doesn't seem to have much except ISP software, AcrobatReader4, GOBACK (ugh!), BVRP FaxSoftware, and old version of Norton AV, etc. etc.

4 - v14.0 of SRK

- Label = SRK#1 *also* created with CEQUADRAT

- ? ALSO Bootable ?

- Has (seemingly) all the Drivers for all OS NT4->Win2000,

-- *INCLUDING* The Intel Chipset Install "Version 2.10RC Build 0001" dated July 19, 1999

Note - You *did* install Chipset drivers (above) right?

I'm seriously confused as to why your USB doesn't work. I noted the last post you made in the other Topic you left the "USB Stick" issue hanging... :unsure:

I guess I could "hack" one of the two Recovery ones to work on a Non-Gateway Intel Board. The only Gateway's I have a "newer" (I recycled the older ones).

drugwash,

Thank you for more information. From comments made by you and problemchyld this uSP3 is looking like a viable option.

problemchyld,

The list is over my head and understand little of it. I admit to being ignorant  but willing to learn from those who know. where to safely down load and how to install in simple terms would help. List is hard to follow as I am not used to reading in computer speak. As said above I am willing to look sceriously at this.

submix8c,

You seem still on a Gateway theme quote from instruction manuel,

"The Gateway System CD steps you through reinstalling Win95/98se. It atomatically reinstalls hardeware devise drivers and some software,you have three option".

Install windows over windows. 1

Delete windows and reinstall.   2

Format drive and install windows.  3

I chose the latter and hope chipset drivers were included automatically.

Regards all.

You're welcome - just trying to help when possible.

The download link for uSP3 is in PROBLEMCHYLD's signature, the last one, which leads to a page with another link to a different board with more information and the actual download links. For your convenience here it is the starting link: u98SESP3.x

After download, when you launch the executable you'll be presented with a help file and after closing that you'll get the main dialog with all the available options.

First thing is to install the core components. Reboot when prompted. Then you may relaunch the uSP3 executable and - if so desired - mark other optional components and install them. Otherwise stick with the core components and hopefully that will be enough.

Before that, please double-check if the chipset driver is installed, as advised by submix8c above. Install manually if needed.

Good luck!