About Windows 10

Aloha

Er... don't you ever see it on your computer?

I just end it and it's OK. I mean nothing happened when I ended it. But not sure if it is safe to remove this .exe or not because it seems to be a system file. 

If you want to play it safe, run Win10 in a VM and try removing that .exe file, see what happens. Or if it's installed on a disk, then image it first and delete the file.

Or if it doesn't matter much what could happen to your Win10 installation, then just go ahead and delete it. It might be interesting to see what warnings and alerts you get from Microsoft now or in coming days.  :)

--JorgeA

Er... don't you ever see it on your computer?

No.  But I have neutered the entire Metro/Modern side of Windows 10 by running it with UAC disabled (EnableLUA = 0).

There are still a number of Win 10-specific applications running, and I will systematically be trying things to see what can be disabled long-term without problems.  Things I don't want/need, like:

• SearchUI.exe
  • RuntimeBroker.exe
  • SettingSyncHost.exe
  • ShellExperienceHost.exe

A few minutes after a fresh boot, this is what's running for me right now.  I'm sure this list can be trimmed further, at least a little.

WhatsRunning.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Hell, before I saw the above posts, I deleted it and cannot open the Store any more!

It's in the Recycle Bin but I cannot restore it either! I'll try to fix this tomorrow when I boot into W8.1.

No one try this silly thing please or else you can't use the Store any more! 

As they say in my circles, "That's not a bug, that's a feature!"

Thanks for trying it.

See if you can do a System Restore, assuming you really do want to be able to use the Windows Store again.

-Noel

I don't know what's wrong with these folders inside WindowsApps. They let me remove anything I feel like without warning and then don't let me restore anything from the recycle bin afterwards. And even when I could return WinStore.Mobile.exe back to its folder, the Store still didn't work at all. 

System Restore was turned off since I installed W8. I always make a full backup of any Windows at the very beginning in case there is a severe damage; cannot boot into Windows, for example. But now I won't restore the whole system just because I delete a very small file. 

Okay, to hell with this Store on W10, I'm able to use it anyway while booting into W8.1! 

Hell, before I saw the above posts, I deleted it and cannot open the Store any more!
It's in the Recycle Bin but I cannot restore it either! I'll try to fix this tomorrow when I boot into W8.1.

No one try this silly thing please or else you can't use the Store any more! 

Maybe you can publish what you did as a tutorial!  ;)

--JorgeA

NoelC, 

I tried these two commands on that page:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess

After they finished, the Store still doesn't work. Trying "sfc /scannow" now!

• 4 months later...

BTW, it seems it has a little known bug... look at the comments from 2014 and you'll find a diff provided by the author for a version 1.0.3, which has never been released. In case you decide to pursue the compilation, you might as well include those changes...  :angel

Bugfix applied, per the author's comments.

Here's a "Release" build of the "unreleased" 1.0.3 version for x64 Windows, tested (briefly) on Win 10 build 10240 and Win 8.1 build 9600.

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/VersInfoEx.zip

@NoelC:  When and if you find a little spare time, would you please be so kind as to also compile the x86 version of VersInfoEx v. 1.0.3 (I, for one, have been using your released compilation of the x64 v. 1.0.3 on 7 SP1, since you posted it, and it works flawlessly!)?  It'd sure be a nice X-mas gift to the community and, in particular, to those who need, by some reason, use Win 7 SP1 or 8.1 x86. :angel

Thanks in advance! :thumbup

OK, I still had the files laying around, so here's a fresh build for both 32 and 64 bit editions, compiled with Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 against the Win 10 SDK...

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/VersInfoEx32And64Bit.zip

To use this software, please follow the installation instructions on the web site from which I got the sources:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/118909/Windows-File-properties-Version-Tab-Shell-Extens

What you should see, if it's installed and running properly, is a new tab in the File Explorer Properties menu entitled Version:

VersInfoExOutput.png

Note:  As of this writing I have only been able to test the 64 bit build (in Win 8.1 and 10), and it does work.  Someone please let me know if the 32 bit build does not work.

-Noel