About Windows 10

Aloha

Bugfix applied, per the author's comments.

Here's a "Release" build of the "unreleased" 1.0.3 version for x64 Windows, tested (briefly) on Win 10 build 10240 and Win 8.1 build 9600.

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/VersInfoEx.zip

-Noel

Thank you very much! You do rock! :thumbup

Later addition: Tested on 7 SP1 x64 (Ultimate, ENU): works perfectly! :yes:

Interestingly, it's 3 times the size of the supplied DLL.

Interestingly :yes:, but not surprisingly :no:, just another proof of the unneeded amount of bloat :w00t::ph34r: the newer tools create.

jaclaz

Perhaps they don't want anyone else to be able to join the insider program so as to get a free copy of Windows 10.

-Noel

somehow I am starting to get confused, didnt MS say that only W7 and 8.1 users get W10 for free?

Perhaps they don't want anyone else to be able to join the insider program so as to get a free copy of Windows 10.

-Noel

somehow I am starting to get confused, didnt MS say that only W7 and 8.1 users get W10 for free?

So those that installed and tested, and re-tested, Win10 during its development shouldn't get a carrot too?

Those that only came to the table (very) late in the program are not included.  Sounds fair to me.

It has cost me in time and downloads over several builds.

If you think you can install a preview build TODAY and reep the benefits of the insider program.... then shame on you.

I already have tested the preview right from the beginning, even though I haven't touched it a couple of months... So please dont say such rude things.

So those that installed and tested, and re-tested, Win10 during its development shouldn't get a carrot too?

Maybe :unsure:, but you do realize that all you can get (at the most)  is not an actual carrot, but rather a short piece of (hard) wood painted in light orange, don't you? :whistle:

jaclaz

I already have tested the preview right from the beginning, even though I haven't touched it a couple of months... So please dont say such rude things.

Please, I am not trying to be rude, it is hard/difficult  to work out who is entitled to to a 'proper' license.  It was only suggested that those who have been in the program will continue to be 'enabled' until your device is no longer supported.

Vague at best.

But anyone hoping to get on the program since the preview keys have been disabled is out of luck.

Sorry to offend if my tone was harsh.

-sean

Edited by ralcool

You're not using a local account are you?

Around the time of 10074 it was, I think, Microsoft said something like "sign in with a Microsoft account and update now or you won't get any more insider builds".

Since then, with newer builds, if you try to use a local account, you get the message "Your Microsoft Account requires attention to get insider builds".

You can probably find an ISO for one of the later builds somewhere floating around and do an in-place upgrade with that.  With the Microsoft account it might then open the gate to being able to get the newest one.

-Noel

Well I do have a spare local account for problems and I fo have a local on win 8 but on w10 I use an Ms acc I already tried getting back into it after I factory resetted my w10 after some problems...

Hello everyone, 

Here is how I got build 10240. I cloned my current W8.1 onto another partition and then upgraded it to W10 build 10240 with an ISO file. I notice that it is activated and the key is just the same as that when I upgraded 10162 to 10240. How strange! 

Well, it's an upgrade so I can use almost all the applications running well on W8.1. It lets me choose IE11 as the default browser rather than MS Edge. The old Windows Photo Viewer works too but not in the proper way. When I set a picture as desktop background, it doesn't display the images in full screen at all although it has the same resolution as the monitior. 

Um, here is my opinion after two days:

When I first used Win 7 I found that I preferred it to Win XP.

When I first used W8 I found that I preferred it to W7.

Then, when I first used W10 I found that I preferred W8.1!

PS. I use the local account most of the time. Log in my MS account only when I need to get and try something from the store.

Edited by Aloha

seems to work on my laptop, but seemingly my PC has gotten some problems, sinload.efi signature fail, some Idea how I can get around this? (without reinstalling win10 again, obviously) no it's not secureboot (my laptop had the same problem, killing SB killed it there), the machine was bought on feb2012 with Win7 this thing doesnt even HAVE secure boot.

Start by determining what "sinload.efi" is.  Did you mean "winload.efi"?  The winload.efi on my 10240 system is found in a couple of places and the files have these attributes:

winload.png

Do yours match the above?

What happens if you do this command, which attempts to uncorrupt system files (this normally takes a few minutes)?

SFC /SCANNOW

Another possibility is:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

The above commands should find no problems on a healthy system.

Integrity.png

-Noel