About Windows 10

Aloha

Hi guys. I wonder how most people here have W10 on their computers, clean install or just upgrade it from an old version.

I hardly use W10 after installing it. Don't know why there have been so many builds released since March and seemingly there will be more.

I'm running Win10 on a separate partition of a laptop HDD where Windows 7 is already installed. I've been installing each new build over the previous one, using Microsoft's automated process (meaning: no manual installs of ISOs).

Because of all the tracking and monitoring involved in the beta testing program (which is understandable), I haven't been doing a whole lot with the system, other than surf the Web, test some programs for compatibility, and check out features and settings. My customers would throw a fit if I were to put confidential Word documents on a computer where I suspected that a third party such as Microsoft could read them.

As a result, I realized that there's not a whole lot for me to do on the machine, and so the long waits for new builds got pretty boring.

--JorgeA

So far I've clean installed W10 twice and upgraded it just once. I prefer the clean install because it's much faster.

I think releasing a new build of an OS for people to upgrade or reinstall it every three or four months is just fine and acceptable. But doing this every three or four days is quite weird and somewhat silly to me! 

On 10/2/2014 at 7:10 PM, Aloha said:
Hi, everyone. I've got W10 from this page:
I intend to install it onto my current 8.1. Of course, I will backup the whole system before starting the installation. Is anyone here, who already had W10, interested in sharing your opinions about this new OS? 

I'd like to have a place to talk and ask about any incoming problems of W10, so I created this topic. Thank you all for reading and replying.  

Thanks for the link. I will do installation and will share my feedback. 

Edited by Kushner

That's an old link but it still works. I got 10162 from there.
Hope you'll find something interesting about W10 and tell us here! 

Edited by Aloha

If you're referring to the link for downloading 10162, I believe that Microsoft has now removed the ability to download Win10 ISOs, at least for recent builds. IIRC it somehow had to do with preparations for the mass launch, although I can't remember the reasoning.

--JorgeA

I hadn't seen that little tool before...

Visual Studio 2015 doesn't convert the project without errors.

VersInfoExConversionErrors.png

On an attempt to build it anyway, the following error is reported:

All packages are already installed and there is nothing to restore.
NuGet package restore finished.
1>------ Build started: Project: VersInfoEx, Configuration: URelease x64 ------
1>Build started 7/20/2015 9:19:08 AM.
1>InitializeBuildStatus:
1> Creating "x64\URelease\VersInfoEx.tlog\unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.
1>PreBuildEvent:
1> Description: Creating myuuids.h and myuuids.rgs...
1>Midl:
1> 64 bit Processing .\VersInfoEx.idl
1> VersInfoEx.idl
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\oaidl.idl
1> oaidl.idl
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\objidl.idl
1> objidl.idl
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\unknwn.idl
1> unknwn.idl
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\shared\wtypes.idl
1> wtypes.idl
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\shared\wtypesbase.idl
1> wtypesbase.idl
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\shared\basetsd.h
1> basetsd.h
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\shared\guiddef.h
1> guiddef.h
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\ocidl.idl
1> ocidl.idl
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\oleidl.idl
1> oleidl.idl
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\servprov.idl
1> servprov.idl
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\urlmon.idl
1> urlmon.idl
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\msxml.idl
1> msxml.idl
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\oaidl.acf
1> oaidl.acf
1> 64 bit Processing C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\ocidl.acf
1> ocidl.acf
1>ClCompile:
1> StdAfx.cpp
1> CVersInfo.cpp
1> VersInfoEx.cpp
1> VersInfoExShlExt.cpp
1> Generating Code...
1>VersInfoEx.rc2(58): error RC2104: undefined keyword or key name: VersInfoEx.dll
1>
1>
1>Build FAILED.
1>
1>Time Elapsed 00:00:05.14
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

However, a DLL was created anyway, so I tried adding it as a Shell Extension.  This is what's shown in the Properties dialog (my apologies for the ugliness of the window; Big Muscle's software is not available in a version that works with build 10240 right now:

VersInfoEx.png

I didn't have time to investigate the errors, but it looks to be generally working.  It's not surprising.  I think Microsoft must have directed their people not to change anything substantive in the Win32 environment so as not to screw up the part of Windows that still has some merit.  That's what Windows Update will be for.

-Noel

Thanks a lot, Noel! It does work, even if errors occur in building it!!!

But... what about the already built .dll that comes with the sources? The author provides both x86 and x64 in Debug and Retail (= unchecked) flavors. I use the Retail x64 with 7 and have friends who use it with 8.1. Will that version, which is surely not built with VS2015, work OK, too?

I hadn't noticed that it came with an already built DLL.  Apparently the build process touched that file, leading me to believe it was rebuilt anyway, but it turns out that's the one I'm running.  Seems to work fine.

Nice little tool.  When I get a little time I'll see if I can figure out why it doesn't build with modern tools.

Edit:  The build error was simply that the TARGETFILENAME symbol was not defined with quotes.  Probably a quirk introduced between the old build process and the auto-updated VS2015 project.  Adding double quote characters around VersInfoEx.dll results in a fresh new build - that also works.  Interestingly, it's 3 times the size of the supplied DLL.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

BTW, it seems it has a little known bug... look at the comments from 2014 and you'll find a diff provided by the author for a version 1.0.3, which has never been released. In case you decide to pursue the compilation, you might as well include those changes... :angel

Noel, do you think it would be possible for you to do a 64bit compile of MaDdoG Software's context.exe from their cmdutils package?

I miss being able to add a custom command button for that exe in foobar200, Xnview , Akelpad and a few more to display the context menu of the opened file in those programs  on my Win7 lappy  as I have done on my 32bit desktop system.

http://www.maddogsw.com/cmdutils/

Sorry for off-topic guys but I couldn't resist asking after seeing the posts above....  :o

Edited by loblo