About Windows 10

Aloha

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

That double X looks weird. You'd think that's the sort of basic thing they would have taken care of before sending out a new build. And why would the problem show up now after so many other builds.

Are you in the fast ring or the slow ring? (I'm wondering how soon to expect 10122.)

--JorgeA

That double X looks weird. You'd think that's the sort of basic thing they would have taken care of before sending out a new build. And why would the problem show up now after so many other builds.

Are you in the fast ring or the slow ring? (I'm wondering how soon to expect 10122.)

--JorgeA

Fast ring - and I think the white x is the new look; its in edge:

wF5X48D.png

In store, it is the white X (new):

AC3zG6P.png

but if U get near with cursor it got the red squere (old look):

RgQynJG.png

Doesn't seem nearly as mature/polished as 10074 did to me.  They'll probably need a week or two to develop some updates for it.

And yes, I'm seeing the double X under some conditions too.

-Noel

Hm, notwithstanding the doubling, some people's Xs are white and some are dark (mine are dark)...

I wonder...  Instead of giving people options and seeing what they choose, could Microsoft be setting some people's systems one way and others' another way, then looking at the feedback to see which gets more positive comments?

"Lesser of evils" indeed!

-Noel

That's entirely possible. For 10074, they announced publicly that some would get the Start Menu with translucency and some without, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they're experimenting this way with other aspects of the UI too.

--JorgeA

EIDT: typo!

Edited by JorgeA

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. I wonder how most people here have W10 on their computers, clean install or just upgrade it from an old version.

I hardly use W10 after installing it. Don't know why there have been so many builds released since March and seemingly there will be more.

I test primarily in VMware Virtual Machines.  Last clean install was 10130, since the system having been upgraded from earlier versions was pretty screwed up.

I strongly suggest, when the release comes out, that EVERYONE should do backups of all their data and do a FULL, CLEAN install of Win 10 onto an empty partition.

It's just another of Microsoft's fantasies that an entire operating system can upgrade an existing one in place.  Anyone who knows anything about operating systems would say that's just a ridiculous idea.  Other than we geeks, the public, of course, does not enjoy installing operating systems (and worse, all their applications and data) and would rather never have to do so.

There have been many builds released simply because Microsoft wants the public to do the maximum possible testing of each new set of software they integrate.  At this point in the project I'm sure all the developers (development teams) are finishing their projects and merging their work into the master baseline at a fast pace.

Consider:  We're seeing visible changes in functionality even up to the current builds.  With a General Availability release just weeks away, that means Microsoft isn't "freezing" the baseline and doing their own system testing, but rather leaving that up to the world to do for them.  Essentially it says that we cannot expect serious quality in the released product until WELL after the initial release.  Not that this hasn't always been true (ever hear the "wait until service pack 1" sentiment amongst professionals?).

-Noel