About Windows 10

Aloha

Win TP worked fine on my computer for 2 weeks then there was something wrong 2 days ago.  Memory usage becomes higher than it used to be, about 15% or more. And I really don't know the reason why it is so.

One thing I don't like about this Windows is that the new Start Menu keeps shrinking itself after I close a game that I have run in full screen. It's easy to drag Start Menu to change the size back, or if I just ignore it, it will automatically resizes itself after a reboot or signing out/in. But I still hope we have a choice to lock it just like we can lock the taskbar. 

When I installed this Win TP, I thought I would use it until it expired in April 2015. Now I change my mind! Perhaps I must return to Win 8.1 sooner.

My only real complaint so far, is that the power button on the Start Menu is now at the top, rather than the bottom WHERE IT HAD BEEN SINCE FOREVER. Actually, in my first use of the TP, I needed to reboot so I could reimage, and I found that the Charms thing on the right didn't work like in Win8. Then I remember, "Oh Yeah! Start Menu!" which became "How do I reboot?" <_<

Two words:

Classic Shell.

Ditch the cheesy Microsoft Start menu.  Microsoft no longer knows how to do things very well (though to be fair, Classic Shell is better than any version of Microsoft's Start menu)..

I just hope they don't delete so much functionality before they're done that we can't turn Win 8.2 10 into something worth having.

-Noel

Sorry guys, I've just restored Windows to 8.1. It took less than 10 minutes to have back the old OS. A customed theme with windows borders, the old Start Menu, lower usage of RAM, the charm bar, and no more ugly looking notifications... these all make me feel so good (although I enable the charm bar just to see the time and day in an easier way. Don't like to look at it on the system tray!)       

Ah, I did try Classic Shell on Win TP before the restore. It removed all the items I pinned on the left of Start Menu. This didn't happen when I tried it on Win 8.1. So, I uninstalled it too.

Thanks all for replying and giving information and advice here. Glad to know many others try Win 10 too. 

Big Muscle's Aero Glass is coming (a prototype build is already working darned near perfectly), and with a theme atlas replacement that it can facilitate, it can bring a much nicer look and feel to the Win 10 desktop.

Win10Desktop.png

-Noel

• 2 weeks later...

My only real complaint so far, is that the power button on the Start Menu is now at the top, rather than the bottom WHERE IT HAD BEEN SINCE FOREVER. Actually, in my first use of the TP, I needed to reboot so I could reimage, and I found that the Charms thing on the right didn't work like in Win8. Then I remember, "Oh Yeah! Start Menu!" which became "How do I reboot?" <_<

to be honest I'd rather have it on the top since I have my taskbar also at the top, less mouse (or in my case, touchpad) way to go...

also AFAIK Win10 fakes being Win 81 for apps that are not made for Win10 preview...

Edited by My1

Since Win 8.1 an older application manifested for use with a particular version and using the prior APIs always gets an indication via GetVersionInfoEx() that the operating system is the version it is manifested for.  I guess Microsoft didn't want older applications second guessing the OS.

See the following, for example:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724451(v=vs.85).aspx

If you really, really want to know what version you're running, Windows 8.1 and newer use a new means to determine the OS version:  Version Helper functions.  See:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn424972(v=vs.85).aspx

The key thing is that they don't make IsWindows10OrGreater available in the SDK until that version is really available, so you can't really code an application to be compatible with a version of Windows not yet released, except that you CAN because they also provide a generic IsWindowsVersionOrGreater() function that you could run in a loop... 

Somewhere in all this it feels as though there is a nefarious motive, but I can't quite spot it.  In any case, it seems like they could have spent time on something more important than coding all that.

-Noel

• 4 months later...

Hello guys,

I decided to give it another try! This time I installed it on a different partition so that I can choose to boot between W8.1 and W10. I am still trying to explore the new features/options/properties or whatever people call them! Anyone knows what this "Closed captioning" is about? It's on Settings > Ease of Access.

Edit: remove image

Edited by Aloha

Interesting. Since I can see W8.1 while on W10, I can run the old calculator too. It looks a little odd but I prefer it to the new one.

Edit: remove image

Edited by Aloha

FYI, there's a tweak I added over in the Tips & Tweaks thread that describes how you can scale the Metro/Modern Apps down, and eliminate the small size limit.

Also, check out Calculator Plus, which is essentially the XP calculator (that works better than all that have come after), and works great on Win 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21622

CalculatorPlusOnWin10.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC