Error upgrading 2008 R2 to 2012 R2 and/or Fress installing 2012 r2

NyperCro

Hello fellow admins.

I have a problem installing 2012 R2.

I had home server with 2008 R2 installed for almoust a year and i wanted to switch to 2012 R2 for my MS certification study.

But i have trouble installing it.

PC configuration is :

Intel e8400 @gHz

16GB DDR2

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R

2x 250 gb SATA HDDs

1x 500gb SATA

So, everything from 2003 to 2008 R2 worked perfectly until i tried to switch to 2012 R2.

First i tried with new HDD to do fresh installation, but as soon Windows Logo is shown black screen appears with error codes i cant see and reboots. Happens from DVD and WDS (other server)

Then i tried to install 2008 R2 and upgrade from it, i get "Cant upgrade" error with no clear explanation why.

Then i tried Custom installation what at first was working until rebooting and i stucked at same place as at first try (fress install)

I have allready 2012 R2 installed on my main PC but i cannot have it working all the time so i need it on other PC

Can anyone give me some solutions?

Thx

Ah wait, I am confused as to where you are getting this black screen error. Is it while booting off the DVD/PXE or during the second phase installation?

Try having only the disk/volume you want the OS installed to connected. Disconnect any other drives including any USB or card-reader types. Windows Setup sometimes will write boot files on another volume, causing the second phase of installation (the part that boots off the HDD) generate a BCD error.

When i boot from PXE/DVD i get Black screen as soon Logo appears

If i do it from Windows then i get that error in second phase, eg, after file copy.

I tried that too.

But i noticed on this CPU i get error Hyper-V is not supported when trying to install Hyper-V role on 2k8 R2 and im sure on slower CPU i had i didnt get same error.

Could that be a problem ?

CPU speed has no bearing on whether or not Hyper-V is supported. Here's the sheet for yours:

http://ark.intel.com/products/33910/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E8400-6M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB?q=e8400#@specifications

And it seems fine. It sounds like you are getting an error booting into WinPE from DVD or PXE. I would start with that and forget about the in-place upgrade for now. Try doing the install with a lower amount of RAM.

I tried with 4gb RAM, one HDD, 2nd DVD, still nothing

As per PXE boot, all other images are booting/installing correctly.

I have another CPU Intel e6550 if that can be better solution

-edit

I just seen i wrote 16gb instead 6gb, sorry, is 6gb of RAM for 1st post

Edited by NyperCro

Wondering, can you install Windows 8.1 on this PC? I'd expect the same results. There shouldn't be a problem to install this OS on this board, even if not supported.... heck I've installed it on notebooks before.

It might help to know the error you are getting. MIGHT.

it is also weird that while Windows 8.1 has specific system requirements for CPU, Server 2012 R2 just has a speed. I couldn't find any good list of CPU requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

After few days of tearing apart computer and rebuilding, i found the problem.

It was a CPU, so i switched to Intel e6550 and everything works ok, from any media, even Server Technical Preview works (little slower but work) :)