Microsoft is violating their own EULA for Windows XP.

vipejc

I heard back from Microsoft. Instead of Julie or Terry replying directly to me with a clear explanation, they forwarded my e-mail to Jitin, who is a tier 3 Technical Support Agent in India who seems confused himself.

How surprising.

How surprising.

How surprising.

(would that make a "How surprising3"? :unsure:

About the misspelling, IF your name is Eric and Jitin wrote Erik instead it's not IMHO that much an issue, on the other hand, if your name is Jean-Philippe it would sound preoccupying... ;) 

jaclaz

I heard back from Microsoft. Instead of Julie or Terry replying directly to me with a clear explanation, they forwarded my e-mail to Jitin, who is a tier 3 Technical Support Agent in India who seems confused himself.

How surprising.

How surprising.

How surprising.

(would that make a "How surprising3"? :unsure:

About the misspelling, IF your name is Eric and Jitin wrote Erik instead it's not IMHO that much an issue, on the other hand, if your name is Jean-Philippe it would sound preoccupying... ;)

jaclaz

It is a big deal. You have to act professional. And when a customer tells you their name, you better spell it right. You don't see me misspelling his name, do you? And I don't know too many Jitins. LOL

It is a big deal. You have to act professional. And when a customer tells you their name, you better spell it right. You don't see me misspelling his name, do you? And I don't know too many Jitins. LOL

You see, how different perspective can be?

I would be happy about that as it could be a sign that the reply came from an actual human being (though not informed or misinformed or however providing a non-answer or an answer to a question that was not asked) as opposed to an automatic copy-paste-reply program.

jaclaz

You refer to two people installing OEM and not needing activated. That's because the Key is the Internal Key and the OEM CD/DVD has those tricky litlle special OEMBIOS.xxx files that correspond to the Internal Key (and *maybe* the COA key works with it?). If you note the links I gave they said the COA key with an OEM CD/DVD ("generic" or OEM-specific, I have no clue), which *does* require activation. You've confused the two. Lastly, they never promised to activate the Plus! (an Add-On) stuff, only XP and Office, correct?

You see, how different perspective can be?

I would be happy about that as it could be a sign that the reply came from an actual human being (though not informed or misinformed or however providing a non-answer or an answer to a question that was not asked) as opposed to an automatic copy-paste-reply program.

jaclaz

Yes, that's why I love this place. I know things you don't, and you know things I don't, but when we work together and use our different minds, there's no computer problem we can't solve. ;^)

You refer to two people installing OEM and not needing activated. That's because the Key is the Internal Key and the OEM CD/DVD has those tricky litlle special OEMBIOS.xxx files that correspond to the Internal Key (and *maybe* the COA key works with it?). If you note the links I gave they said the COA key with an OEM CD/DVD ("generic" or OEM-specific, I have no clue), which *does* require activation. You've confused the two. Lastly, they never promised to activate the Plus! (an Add-On) stuff, only XP and Office, correct?

Honestly, I don't know or really care. Microsoft makes things so confusing for the end user. Once I figure out my setup, I stop caring. No, Microsoft never said they'd continue to activate Plus! and their other software. This is why I hate software that requires activation, because the company can stop supporting the product and kill the activation servers. Software that requires a serial number are fine, because as long as you have a valid serial number, the software will always reactivate. WPA stinks.

But... if your issue was with activating Plus!, why did you query MS about XP?

With all due respect, is that a novel variant of the Chewbacca Defense, or what?  dubbio.gif

LOL No, when Plus! didn't activate, I called WPA and heard the automated recording, which made me think maybe Microsoft stopped all XP OS and Microsoft XP software reactivations. And then when I asked the 2 WPA agents, they said sorry we no longer can reactivate your Plus!. Then I asked them if Microsoft just stopped reactivation of certain Microsoft XP software, or the XP OS, too. And both WPA agents said no more reactivation for XP OS or Microsoft XP software. Sorry for their incompetence.

Then I asked them if Microsoft just stopped reactivation of certain Microsoft XP software, or the XP OS, too. And both WPA agents said no more reactivation for XP OS or Microsoft XP software. Sorry for their incompetence.

Well... Seems to me just a tad too much incompetence... I'd say it may be a convenient response policy, which can, if necessary, be attributed to incompetence, if and when challenged, but which may, otherwise, mislead some into letting go of XP...   dubbio.gif

Then I asked them if Microsoft just stopped reactivation of certain Microsoft XP software, or the XP OS, too. And both WPA agents said no more reactivation for XP OS or Microsoft XP software. Sorry for their incompetence.

Well... Seems to me just a tad too much incompetence... I'd say it may be a convenient response policy, which can, if necessary, be attributed to incompetence, if and when challenged, but which may, otherwise, mislead some into letting go of XP...   dubbio.gif

I think the same thing. And get this...when I started taking like a lawyer and told a third and final WPA agent about the Microsoft EULA, he acts very helpful, asks for the installation ID, and Plus! activated. So if WPA give you a hard time, let them know you know your rights and they should comply. But I totally agree with you that they probably know they legally have to reactivate XP, but they just give customers a hard time to pressure them to buy Windows 7 or beyond.

• 2 weeks later...