win8.1 explorer: file operation windows always in background

Soukyuu

This started happening after some windows update (gg, Microsoft!): whenever I copy/move/delete files, the transfer window is always behind all other windows.

Is there any way to fix that?

That is most probably the so called "z order" :w00t: it is a known issue, see:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-reissues-flawed-windows-security-update-7000033049/

I don't think that there is (yet) a completely fixed update. :(

jaclaz

Well, great. I have removed those 4 updates, restarted, and nothing has changed. I guess the damage is already done.

edit: actually, it seems it is working again now. Maybe on my other try something has stolen the focus, since it was right after the restart. Thanks for the tip jaclaz!

Now if only you'd point me to the update that broke autologin with a blank password...  ;)

Edited by Soukyuu

Now if only you'd point me to the update that broke autologin with a blank password...   ;)

I am failing to see the reason for having autologin with a blank password :w00t:, though I possibly have a  workaround for that, which I DO NOT suggest in "normal" operation (just as I would NOT suggest Autologin :ph34r:, nor a "blank password", but of course any informed choice is to be respected :yes:):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163190-passpass-bypass-the-password/

Cannot really say if it could be considered "suitable" in your case, you can have a user with a password which is completely ignored.

jaclaz

Well, that's how win7 and older behaved, and win8 as well, until it randomly stopped. I then switched to autologin with a password, which worked for a couple of times, then stopped as well.

I don't see any need for a password on my home PC. I trust my family and if someone else gets local access to my PC, the windows password won't stop them. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

this is by design. I already asked this Microsoft some time ago.

It also annoys me, too.

It's not, the bug that those 4 updates introduced is that the transfer windows are always started in the background, no matter the state at the end of transfer as the OP in your link describes.

edit: unless you meant my last post where the dialog was still in background (because it remembered the last state)

Edited by Soukyuu

I don't see any need for a password on my home PC. I trust my family and if someone else gets local access to my PC, the windows password won't stop them. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

I have to thank you, instead :), it is refreshing to know that I am not the only one in the world that see little use for a (BTW poorly implemented) selective user access on a home PC. :thumbup

jaclaz

This started happening after some windows update (gg, Microsoft!): whenever I copy/move/delete files, the transfer window is always behind all other windows.   Is there any way to fix that?

Mine's been intermittently popping the progress/confirmation window behind other windows since I first installed it.  And no, there's no way to fix or work around it I've been able to find.  There is also NO WAY to justify this as any sort of "feature".

You have to get used to watching for the flashing button on the Taskbar.  The worst of it is that most operations don't positively indicate success, so if you don't notice the Taskbar there's no obvious difference between having copied a file successfully into a folder, and having tried to overwrite one by the same name already there.  It doesn't even bleep with an error sound!  That's just wrong!

Edit:  I have several Win 8.1 systems with all the updates and none of them CONSISTENTLY pop the progress/confirmation dialog behind other windows.

The worst of it is that Microsoft has caused this ON PURPOSE because they want us to start to dislike using the desktop.  Someone missed the fact that the Metro/Modern Weather App isn't actually suitable for copying files from place to place.  :crazy:

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

On Windows 8, I use PerigeeCopy (http://jstanley.pingerthinger.com/pscopy) to get rid of Windows 8's copying shittiness. Sure it's not fancy, it doesn't have graphs or pausing ability. But it can queue copy jobs, doesn't crash when Explorer crashes and is far less annoying. When overwriting files, it shows me all the details needed for comparison right away, no extra click-click-click.