Networking My 2 Abit Windows 2000 Computers

NorthAzimuth

Could someone help me connect my two Windows 2000 Computers?

I am not sure what i need but this is what i have and what i would like to achieve.

I have two identical twin W2K,  Abit mobo, Seagate scsi drive machines w/ 56k modems.

One is in my office and one is out in my shop.

I would like to access one machine from either location and also like to file transfer / storage.

My primary goal is to use the shops computer as a file storage vault where it is secure and locked, transferring my office work out to the shops slave drive.

Basic ideas are running a split primary drive in the office, being the logical slave portion as a temporary work space and when finished, those file(s) will be sent out to the shops computer for safe keeping.

That way there is never any kind of intellectual / personal information ever stored on the office computer.

Basically the only information on the office machine are std. Windows files and various software(s).

(My house has been broken into once already)

I am remodeling at the moment so what ever wires need to be chased through the attic etc...

This is fairly old technology so i would assume that it should not be all that expensive project?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

My crystal ball is foggy right now :w00t:, I failed to wash it yesterday with fresh dew :(, and I cannot see clearly the plans of your house/office/shop and their locations. 

Are there in the same building?

If yes, and if they are under the same electric meter/switchbox, most probably your best choice would be to use some  "powerline" adapters, i.e. "thingies" that can transmit and receive network data by injecting and extracting them from the mains cabling of the house.

Though they cannot compete in speed with a dedicated cabled network they are usually very reliable and much faster than wireless and seemingly "more than enough" for your needs.  

If they are in different buildings you will need to go through an internet connection, the 56K modems are far too slow for your intended use.

jaclaz

My crystal ball is foggy right now :w00t:, I failed to wash it yesterday with fresh dew :(, and I cannot see clearly the plans of your house/office/shop and their locations. 

Are there in the same building?

I am remodeling at the moment so what ever wires need to be chased through the attic etc...

(casata; soffitta, mansarda, solaio)

jalcaz, with 14,437 posts, i'm not quite sure how i want to interpret your response back.

I'm not familiar with crystal balls , thingies or power line adapters for information transfer.

I was thinking of a pair of Ethernet cards and 17 meters of RJ45 cable from my back office to shop

Edited by NorthAzimuth

I'm not familiar with crystal balls , thingies or power line adapters for information transfer.

I was thinking of a pair of Ethernet cards and 17 meters of RJ45 cable from my back office to shop

Yep, guessing (because you did not explicitly provide this piece of information) that the distance was a small one and in the case of both back office and shop being in the same building and under the same electrical switchbox, I was suggesting you how instead of running a dedicated network cable it would have been faster and easier to buy, besides the network cards for the PC's, two "powerline adapters", examples:

http://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/power-line-adapters/

for your uses any of the "low cost" of the common "500" series, which you can have for less than 50 bucks each, would be a nicely working solution.

Unless you do the cabling yourself (but then you would probably have not asked the question :unsure:), this would possibly be even cheaper then the cable[1] + wall sockets + electrician wages AND with the advantage that if you change your mind (and move your desks or PC's or whatever) you don't need to move the wall sockets or use long patch cables from the PC's to the sockets, as you can move the adapter to another closer  electric plug.

But if you want to go down the good ol' way of physical cabling, it's fine as well, you just need to run the cable from point A to point B, you won't *need* right now a CAT 6 cable (a CAT 5e would do nicely) but if you are doing the cabling, it would be a good idea to use CAT 6 anyway, as the difference in the cost of the cable is not that much, examples:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-100-ft-24-Gauge-4-Pair-Category-5e-Riser-Internet-Wire-2700-0104C/202206477

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cerrowire-100-ft-23-4-Category-6-Riser-Cable-Blue-2704-0144CR/202637224

jaclaz

[1] Please consider how, unless you use a Crossover cable or auto-sensing network cards, you would probably need additionally a small hub,

Edited by jaclaz