On optical bay HD caddy adapters for laptops

So, to sum up.

There are Optical Bay caddies for HD/SSD of two types:

1. some with a switch
  2. some without a switch

The switch use and it's settings are either undocumented or mis-documented, in any case ALWAYS make sure to get one with the switch.

If you get one without the switch, it is possible - if needed - to emulate the features of the switch with a rather simple hardware "hack"

Besides the already mentioned ones it is worth of note this "feature":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-12-7mm-SATA-to-SATA-2nd-HDD-Hard-Drive-Caddy-for-Dell-Laptops-/221509690280

With LED indicator and switch (the siwtch is designed for some incompatible devices, reset the switch to solve it)

Which once again brings us to flippism :yes: as a good way to solve issues, try the thing as it arrives (you have 50% probabilities the switch is in the right position).

If you experience either CPU overhead or shutdown/hibernation issues, try again after having flipped the switch to the other position.

jaclaz

• 1 year later...

Thank god for zombie threads!

This problem has been plaguing my Vaio Svs15 for years now.  CPU 0 has been pegged at 100% since I bought the **** thing, and you guys have finally (finally!) put me onto the solution.

I knew it probably had to do with the SSD I added, but I had no idea about the "3rd pin" possibility with the caddy. I popped it out after reading this thread, and interestingly there is clearly a cut-out in the casing for a switch, but it's empty. I've got a new one on order for $9 that purportedly has a switch. I'm so excited, it's almost like I'll be getting a new computer in a couple days.