I feel win 9's gonna bring us a "surprise" like metro

aviv00

• 4 months later...

It does seem that the pushed updates are gonna happen, though yes, I do aggree that it appears you'd be prompted for such updates to be installed.

I have to admit that I've lost interest in the Windows 10 TP.  I'm staying put with Vista SP2 and running it until April 2017.  At that point, I'll get a new machine and install Windows 8.1 (x64 build)

Microsoft likes to push the myth that an OS will just drop dead after the "end of life" date.  That unspeakable things will happen; that you'll have all kinds of hackers crawling all over your system.

It's not really true that it will stop working.  You can run your old OS as long as you like.

That being said, getting a new computer is always fun.  Perhaps I misinterpreted your April 2017 reference, and that's the day you've planned to break the piggy bank and get that new 24 core system you've been dreaming about...  :yes:

-Noel

Microsoft likes to push the myth that an OS will just drop dead after the "end of life" date.  That unspeakable things will happen; that you'll have all kinds of hackers crawling all over your system.

It's not really true that it will stop working.  You can run your old OS as long as you like.

That being said, getting a new computer is always fun.  Perhaps I misinterpreted your April 2017 reference, and that's the day you've planned to break the piggy bank and get that new 24 core system you've been dreaming about...  :yes:

-Noel

Well it does have to do with Vista's extended phase support expiry.  If I jump to Windows 8.1 (which I can tailor to my liking), I will need a new machine with UEFI so I can run the x64 build.  My HP xw8200 workstation is not compatible Bios-wise (I don't believe it is anyway).

I do like to stay with an updateable OS, but I realize that the end of the world doesn't arrive with the end of extended=-phase support.

:)

• 4 months later...

While it may seem to go without saying that a person presently running that Most Awesome operating system Vista might not want to move up to Win 10, it's not a given.  ;)

-Noel

One complaint.... Microsoft will not be making Chrome type updates. I'd say it is more like how Firefox pushes out updates. It doesn't do it for you but bugs you every day until you accept the update. Chrome, on the other hand, just updates all by itself without the user knowing. And the strange thing is that I have never seen a BAD update happen. It just seems to work the same, no weird bugs or anything.

We also now know that YES Microsoft will push updates.  I think slow ring users (business editions) will get updates later than fast ring customers (home users), but it seemes updates are forced.

So much for being able to stick with a particular build of Windows 10 if you like how it works.

Edited by JodyT